Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox in Aus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some suggestion that people just aren't hearing the noise in the retrofit - it's fairly inaudible inside.
If mine (2021 LR, retrofit done at Tesla Chatswood) is making a noise when in Drive, it is so quiet as to be useless. I couldn't hear it in either of these two situations when I specifically listened for it: (1) standing next to my car as the mechanic drove it onto the hoist to do a tyre change, or (2) inside my (brick) garage and putting the car into Drive with the driver's window open.

Maybe it is making a noise when moving forwards at low speeds, but if so it is drowned out by HVAC fans and other random Tesla operating noises (OR just generally my aged hearing isn't good enough to hear it even when specifically listening for it), and hence is totally ineffective as an additional warning noise, and I'd say it was a moot point whether any forward noise was actually enabled in Australia or not. Philosophical question: If it's enabled but so quiet as to be inaudible, is it really enabled?

The reverse noise, however, is very clear: it is a very clear spaceship and can be heard from a long way away and with the car windows closed. I'm sure the teenagers next door whose bedrooms are next to my driveway are thrilled when I back out before dawn to go to the beach, but FWIW I am glad I had the PWS retrofit done because there are several carparks I use on a regular basis where either excited kids, distracted adults or oblivious oldies DO otherwise fail to notice my car being in reverse as I might reverse out of a spot between other parked cars (or more commonly tradie trucks or various large vehicles).

Reactions: Blue heaven
Boombox and car wash mode, winning! 🏁
Now the only trouble is I want another speaker plus an amp! 😂

A1A3E9C3-0C86-4217-A59B-FE31011B61B9.jpeg

That i understand. More along the lines of how are you finding it? Is it annoying, resonable, do you like the gimmick etc
I bought and installed the speaker myself (aliexpress) and got Tesla to push out the software earlier this year. Total cost was about $100 but from what I’ve read Tesla no longer allow this.

I don’t find it annoying, though I wonder what the neighbours think when I reverse out of the garage on those 5am mornings. Having said that you don’t hear it with your windows closed anyway.

The custom lock sound which the little one chose is great, still gives me a chuckle each time we lock the doors.

Overall I have noticed pedestrians are more aware of the car approaching (obviously the intended purpose of the pws), where obviously in the past the car has been dead silent.

Reactions: lS3toM3 and B3AU
That i understand. More along the lines of how are you finding it? Is it annoying, resonable, do you like the gimmick etc
I had it installed by Tesla. Very quick process.

It's fine. I'm glad to have it. I think it should be required on all cars (not just an EV). A lot of ICE cars are really quiet at low speeds also.
The spaceship reverse sound is very noticable, but the forward white noise sound is so quiet, you cannot hear it from inside the cabin. Hopefully, it's more obvious to someone in front of the vehicle.
For a while, I used it to change my lock notification sound, but I haven't bothered trying to play any music or farts through the system.
I thought it was now standard for new M3 & MYs?