Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot strut recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice the rear camera picture quality getting worse due to this problem?

Attachments

• AED04FF8-2394-4E0B-9B4D-DF3760BA13D6.jpeg
    AED04FF8-2394-4E0B-9B4D-DF3760BA13D6.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 122
My powered boot has stopped working today as well - technician booked for 4 Feb. Mrs isn't happy as she can't fit the baby buggy in our other car.
I Also have them coming out on the 4th, but my fault is different, the strut on mine has a lot of sideways movement where the ram goes into the strut, so much so that if it gets much worse it's going to hit and break the rear screen.

Booked mine in to MK Service Centre but had a text saying that a mobile technician can do it so that's happening on the 2nd Feb.

Been playing up the last couple of months getting progressively worse not sure if that's because of the cold or it's just going bad either way hopefully the replacement will be more durable!

(December 2020 M3 LR)
I’ve been told by Mk a ranger can’t do it. Someone is coming out to look at my door handle and it came up on the service appointment about the o ring. They told me the ranger can’t do it because it needs a part fitting. I thought rangers fitted parts!

I’ve been told by Mk a ranger can’t do it. Someone is coming out to look at my door handle and it came up on the service appointment about the o ring. They told me the ranger can’t do it because it needs a part fitting. I thought rangers fitted parts!
Odd, my work order says about checking for the o-ring. I shan't be happy if the ranger agrees it's broken and tells me to go back to the Service Centre!

My initial ranger booking was cancelled by Tesla due to Covid and a ranger is now due out next week, I had reported the boot not opening more than a few inches in cold weather (took videos to prove). I assumed he would fit a new power strut, no 'O' ring on my car but I have since fitted one myself together with a small cable tie to prevent any water ingress, it looked dry inside to be honest. Has anyone had the boot strut replaced by a ranger? Funny thing is it hasn't played up over the past week even when it's been -3

I had the power strut replaced by a ranger last week - refresh LR. It eas a five minute job, lever off the top and bottom mounts, prise open the seal to get to the electrical connector, remove. Refitting was similarly straightforward, no adjustment required.

I helped by supporting the trunk lid while he worked. I'll invoice Tesla for that...

• Funny
Reactions: PR-UK and Durzel
Given the cars seem to survive best in California, many of the issues Tesla have are all cold, damp wet weather related.

Heat pump issues, weather related
Condensation in head/tail lights, weather related.
Boot strut issues, weather related as proven by the O-Ring recall.

Seems to be a pattern here.

Looks like they are cutting corners with environmental testing.

Reactions: Durzel
Given the cars seem to survive best in California, many of the issues Tesla have are all cold, damp wet weather related.

Heat pump issues, weather related
Condensation in head/tail lights, weather related.
Boot strut issues, weather related as proven by the O-Ring recall.

Seems to be a pattern here.

Looks like they are cutting corners with environmental testing.
Would tend to agree with that. Let's not forget the first bunch of Model 3s came over without any lip around the bottom of the rear windscreen, so lifting the boot would drop any standing water straight in there.

Must be nice to live somewhere with rain that is so infrequent that its not even a design consideration.

Glad I found this thread. Only by chance as far just back from SC and was looking to see if the Oring fix they’ve applied was anything to do with the boot not opening fully and 2 beeps.

So my boot has been doing this since November. Is it worth booking in to get the power strut replaced then?

Mine was in for another matter and they fitted an O Ring at the same time.
The boot does seem to open more quickly, but I still think the power strut is marginal for the size and weight of the boot lid.
I'll bet the MY has twin struts....