Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought new Model 3 performance, giving up my p85DL!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does have performance plus suspension—but after test driving the 3 performance, I’d say the 3 performance handles better than the p85d.

Why do you like AP1 more?
Why do you think the S is quieter? I had the opposite impression on street and freeway.

I actually think the plus suspension is better than even the adaptive suspension on the raven and refresh cars. It is certainly on the stiff side, and you do feel more bumps, but it corners very flat and is very confidence inspiring in how it turns in and takes a set so quickly. It puts my Miata with a lot of money in the suspension to shame. I never had 21" wheels, but it was still comfortable enough on 20" wheels.

Tesla hasn't really screwed with AP1 in years so it still works really well on the highway where you most want driver assistance. It has less phantom braking, still has a follow distance of "1," keeps up with stop and go traffic better, doesn't mess with your high beams or wipers, and it still uses its radar for better "visibility" in less than ideal conditions. They should have just left it alone. I can drive the car myself in the city and surface streets.

I haven't taken measurements of the S vs. the 3, but I thought the noise level difference was noticable.

Not trying to trash the 3P - it was actually the first Tesla I drove and is what initially hooked me into buying one. They are easier to park, have better headlights than the facelifted S, are "fast enough," charge quickly, are less expensive to service and own, and have a better aftermarket. To that end, one of my biggest gripes of the 3, the lack of a gauge cluster, can now be fixed in the aftermarket.

I actually think the plus suspension is better than even the adaptive suspension on the raven and refresh cars. It is certainly on the stiff side, and you do feel more bumps, but it corners very flat and is very confidence inspiring in how it turns in and takes a set so quickly. It puts my Miata with a lot of money in the suspension to shame. I never had 21" wheels, but it was still comfortable enough on 20" wheels.

Tesla hasn't really screwed with AP1 in years so it still works really well on the highway where you most want driver assistance. It has less phantom braking, still has a follow distance of "1," keeps up with stop and go traffic better, doesn't mess with your high beams or wipers, and it still uses its radar for better "visibility" in less than ideal conditions. They should have just left it alone. I can drive the car myself in the city and surface streets.

I haven't taken measurements of the S vs. the 3, but I thought the noise level difference was noticable.

Not trying to trash the 3P - it was actually the first Tesla I drove and is what initially hooked me into buying one. They are easier to park, have better headlights than the facelifted S, are "fast enough," charge quickly, are less expensive to service and own, and have a better aftermarket. To that end, one of my biggest gripes of the 3, the lack of a gauge cluster, can now be fixed in the aftermarket.
Yeah those are some good points. If I back away from the model 3p I only loose my $250 deposit.

What are your thoughts about owning outside of warranty for non-HV big ticket items, such has the drivetrain, or headlights (which I hear are $3k to replace), air suspension at $3k a corner, eft?

I think I can get $45k for my car. The 3P is only 55k, hence the dilemma

I ag
What do you like the ride about our cars vs the 3P? I feel like the 3 is so much more “tossible” and fun in corners. I think the S feels way “heavier” by comparison even with our performance plus suspension

Not much time in the M3, but agree it is more tossible.

I like doing that with my 29 yo Integra occasionally, but am of a certain age where I like comfortable ride more than not..

The ride is the refresh is even better than the older MS.

I ag

Not much time in the M3, but agree it is more tossible.

I like doing that with my 29 yo Integra occasionally, but am of a certain age where I like comfortable ride more than not..

The ride is the refresh is even better than the older MS.
I’m 43 and gone are the days I enjoyed cars like the 2003 BMW Z4 (stiff), but I’m not sure what it is but the model 3 p’s that ive driven are super comfy, even on rough roads, and my S has 19” wheels

I’m 43 and gone are the days I enjoyed cars like the 2003 BMW Z4 (stiff), but I’m not sure what it is but the model 3 p’s that ive driven are super comfy, even on rough roads, and my S has 19” wheels
That's interesting a coil over with shorter wheelbase could compete with air suspension, but perhaps it can with the older MS.

MYP is a good value, if you don't need the hatchback and extra room and range.

In 20 more years you might value comfort more, just saying!

Yeah those are some good points. If I back away from the model 3p I only loose my $250 deposit.

What are your thoughts about owning outside of warranty for non-HV big ticket items, such has the drivetrain, or headlights (which I hear are $3k to replace), air suspension at $3k a corner, eft?

I think I can get $45k for my car. The 3P is only 55k, hence the dilemma
Well, I just replaced my P85DL+ with a 2019 Performance, so...

I don't think we'll get $45k for our cars. Maybe the market is better in CA, but I'm expecting around $40k even with MCU2 and a very healthy battery.

Regarding handling, I thought the S car was just a little clumsy on mountain roads with 19" wheels and the stock Primacy MXM4 tires. With some 20" wheels and performance all seasons, you can really hustle it if you want to.

I'm a AP1 believer also. It's nice that Tesla leaves it alone and doesn't screw it up. Mobileye had it figured out pretty well didn't they... Makes one wonder if we maybe actually would have FSD or certainly be closer if Mobileye and Tesla would have stayed working together. But someone's emotions blew that collaboration up....

I’m a veteran owner of MS from 2016 to 2018 models (90D, P100D, 100D) all leases from company. The last 2018 100D we kept longer until late 2021.

Replaced it with a Long range Model 3 w accel boost and then lately a Perf Model Y as well.

What we miss:
While I do miss the slightly more comfortable ride in the 100D air susp, it’s subtle. The pano roof and auto door handles definately…and the hatchback feature was a beauty, not to mention the overall look. A more defined drive than the 3…touring. We had 21” arachnids with Mich pilot sport 4S tires so the handling was improved.

What we don’t miss: (comparing to 2016-2021 MS…not newest gen)

The Model 3 is surprisingly more fun to drive than anticipated. Tossable and the handling is unmatched by any Tesla vehicle to date. Fun factor…goes to the 3. Point and shoot accuracy. The S felt boaty in comparison even with the 21’s. I ran 20” Perf rims/tires on my LR 3 so similar ride comfort to a Perf3 anyway. I keep my psi at 38/39 Vs recommended 42/43 and it makes a difference in road imperfections.

The horizontal screen…way better placement. More intuitive and 10x faster.

Dual wireless chargers. Let’s just say I had an S loaner one time and I can NOT go back to wired charge. The wireless is fantastic, charges up quick and clean/out of the way.

Wipers…much better than MS. Quieter and more efficient.

Heated everywhere incl steering so no diff there. Power trunk so no diff there.

Heating/cooling vents…the entire front dash venting is genius. Distributes airflow way more effectively.

Sound system…the 3 is fantastic. Dual amps, 14 speakers and a sub. Hands down one of the best audio systems in a vehicle. One can try to punch this and attempt to distort the bass but it simply won’t! Believe me I’ve tried. It is clean, punchy and encompassing. Prev gen MS not even close in audio quality and crispness.

Dual pane windows…this is what is also helping keep noise levels down during higher speed driving. I found the 3 actually quieter than my S in most respects. Actually even the high pitched motor whine in the dual motor S didn’t seem to be there on the 3. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Instrument cluster…missed it for about 3 days. Now learned to appreciate the open and clean look. One does not glance to the right and off the road as some say. The speed is literally in your field of vision.

AP3 (2.5?) is just fine. We did not not opt for wasting dollars on FSD but we do miss auto land change which now comes with EAP at a cost. Subjective here as one can add this anytime.

Acceleration…ok so the Perf 3 is incredible in this dept. many videos report sub 3 second 0-60’s as Tesla won’t advertise a sub 3 Model3 and eat into their own S sales. But it’s quite the power. My M3 LR /boost is a closer match 20-60mph so I’m content here.

Range wise…the car is the more efficient of the Tesla models. The 20” tires of the Perf model will eat into some of that efficiency but all in all much better than the MS in terms of kw/mile.

If you truly miss the space, may I suggest looking at the Perf Y? It has many of the positives listed above. But what you may lose in a bit of handling, you gain in overall space, full glass roof, hatchback, higher rear seats, ease of entry exit, better visibility, more refined drive. Sort of a happy medium between S and 3.

We do miss the S for what it is…a touring comfort vs sport. But value for the 3 or Y is fantastic.

All 3 below…MYP, M3LR, MS100
287721A9-04E1-447F-88D9-A9493A0FD5C8.jpeg
32F6E40B-82FA-4F2D-9546-7958BFFD9C94.jpeg
81DA69C4-D23F-422A-9F26-300DC45D4ED1.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m a veteran owner of MS from 2016 to 2018 models (90D, P100D, 100D) all leases from company. The last 2018 100D we kept longer until late 2021.

Replaced it with a Long range Model 3 w accel boost and then lately a Perf Model Y as well.

What we miss:
While I do miss the slightly more comfortable ride in the 100D air susp, it’s subtle. The pano roof and auto door handles definately…and the hatchback feature was a beauty, not to mention the overall look. A more defined drive than the 3…touring. We had 21” arachnids with Mich pilot sport 4S tires so the handling was improved.

What we don’t miss: (comparing to 2016-2021 MS…not newest gen)

The Model 3 is surprisingly more fun to drive than anticipated. Tossable and the handling is unmatched by any Tesla vehicle to date. Fun factor…goes to the 3. Point and shoot accuracy. The S felt boaty in comparison even with the 21’s. I ran 20” Perf rims/tires on my LR 3 so similar ride comfort to a Perf3 anyway. I keep my psi at 38/39 Vs recommended 42/43 and it makes a difference in road imperfections.

The horizontal screen…way better placement. More intuitive and 10x faster.

Dual wireless chargers. Let’s just say I had an S loaner one time and I can NOT go back to wired charge. The wireless is fantastic, charges up quick and clean/out of the way.

Wipers…much better than MS. Quieter and more efficient.

Heated everywhere incl steering so no diff there. Power trunk so no diff there.

Heating/cooling vents…the entire front dash venting is genius. Distributes airflow way more effectively.

Sound system…the 3 is fantastic. Dual amps, 14 speakers and a sub. Hands down one of the best audio systems in a vehicle. One can try to punch this and attempt to distort the bass but it simply won’t! Believe me I’ve tried. It is clean, punchy and encompassing. Prev gen MS not even close in audio quality and crispness.

Dual pane windows…this is what is also helping keep noise levels down during higher speed driving. I found the 3 actually quieter than my S in most respects. Actually even the high pitched motor whine in the dual motor S didn’t seem to be there on the 3. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Instrument cluster…missed it for about 3 days. Now learned to appreciate the open and clean look. One does not glance to the right and off the road as some say. The speed is literally in your field of vision.

AP3 (2.5?) is just fine. We did not not opt for wasting dollars on FSD but we do miss auto land change which now comes with EAP at a cost. Subjective here as one can add this anytime.

Acceleration…ok so the Perf 3 is incredible in this dept. many videos report sub 3 second 0-60’s as Tesla won’t advertise a sub 3 Model3 and eat into their own S sales. But it’s quite the power. My M3 LR /boost is a closer match 20-60mph so I’m content here.

Range wise…the car is the more efficient of the Tesla models. The 20” tires of the Perf model will eat into some of that efficiency but all in all much better than the MS in terms of kw/mile.

If you truly miss the space, may I suggest looking at the Perf Y? It has many of the positives listed above. But what you may lose in a bit of handling, you gain in overall space, full glass roof, hatchback, higher rear seats, ease of entry exit, better visibility, more refined drive. Sort of a happy medium between S and 3.

We do miss the S for what it is…a touring comfort vs sport. But value for the 3 or Y is fantastic.

All 3 below…MYP, M3LR, MS100
View attachment 888562View attachment 888564View attachment 888565
Great summary here…I’m convinced. Time to sell the ticking time bomb S and get into a $55k brand new 2023, 3 performance. Huge value play, there’s nothing non-tesla even close to this

The current deals are fantastic you did well. I was tempted when I picked up my S Friday, they had a M3P red with white interior, just about half the price of the MSLR I bought. That said I have no regrets I love the S. My wife has a MYP wish we waited a few months. Lol

Congrats!!!

Reactions: tubaprde