Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought new Model 3 performance, giving up my p85DL!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The current deals are fantastic you did well. I was tempted when I picked up my S Friday, they had a M3P red with white interior, just about half the price of the MSLR I bought. That said I have no regrets I love the S. My wife has a MYP wish we waited a few months. Lol

Congrats!!!
Thanks, funny update: 2 of 4 wheels have curb rash and therefore I refused/postponed delivery a few days until they fix. I still have not signed anything and now I’m lurking at p100d’s in the same price range, granted with only a month or just outside of 4yr warranty (but four years of HV and drive left)

Thanks, funny update: 2 of 4 wheels have curb rash and therefore I refused/postponed delivery a few days until they fix. I still have not signed anything and now I’m lurking at p100d’s in the same price range, granted with only a month or just outside of 4yr warranty (but four years of HV and drive left)

You can't swing a dead cat in my area without hitting a M3/MY.

P100D, there is no substitute...😁

You can't swing a dead cat in my area without hitting a M3/MY.

P100D, there is no substitute...😁
I remember my 2017 black/white P100D…quite the machine! Be careful about out of warranty and ask Tesla for a repair history prior to buying a used P100. One issue you will face will be the deeded motor milling or suspension shudder. I’d check to see how many half shaft replacements have been done in 4 yrs. That will tell you also how hard it’s been driven or not Good luck 👍🏽

100%. The 2019 had a much harder suspension as well as less sound dampening and single pane glass. Actually quite an extensive list of parts changes and updates not to mention the slightly revised interior in mid 2021, plus added power and range.

Glad to hear that.

The 2019 m3p was kinda junk IMO. Felt lower quality, harsher, and less comfy than a Mazda 3.

Hard to keep up with all the improvements.

Reactions: Destiny1701
M3P has those too. The only S I've driven was an old loaner, and it was dookie. I'm sure newer ones are much better, but my M3LR is light years better than my experience in an S.

I'm sure your M3P will be a joy to drive and own. Congrats!
Ah that's nice they added them. When I was shopping in 2019 the 3 did not offer a heated wheel. In fact, not all S came with heated steering wheels or heated rear seats either; it was an option added to the subzero package in late 2014/early 2015, I believe.

Glad to hear that.

The 2019 m3p was kinda junk IMO. Felt lower quality, harsher, and less comfy than a Mazda 3.

To be honest, the 2020 and 2021 3p feel exactly the same to me. Only changes I could see are cosmetic (wheels, exterior trim, new console, which indeed feels a bit sturdier even if it is maybe less elegant) and the fact the '21 has a heat pump. I'm not sure I see that big of a difference in terms of efficiency either, with both cars on 18" aftermarket wheels. Maybe they made improvement going from the '19 to the '20, or from the '21 onwards...

Glad to hear that.

Glad to hear that.

Here’s a comprehensive list between 2019 and 2022!

Reactions: tubaprde
To be honest, the 2020 and 2021 3p feel exactly the same to me. Only changes I could see are cosmetic (wheels, exterior trim, new console, which indeed feels a bit sturdier even if it is maybe less elegant) and the fact the '21 has a heat pump. I'm not sure I see that big of a difference in terms of efficiency either, with both cars on 18" aftermarket wheels. Maybe they made improvement going from the '19 to the '20, or from the '21 onwards...
The changes to susp settings and noise dampening started to occur mid to late 2021. So depending on when you bought…makes a difference for sure. The 22’ improved and the latest late 22 into 23’ even more so with a revised suspension for a bit more comfort.
Such is the nature of Tesla…continual quarterly improvements. Some noticeable ..many part revisions which result in small gains in ride, power, efficiency or comfort.

So driving a 2021 will always feel different to a 2023. Also keep in mind driving most used cars won’t feel as solid or sturdy as a brand new. (Exception older Lexus models that were made to ride on a cushion/cloud lol)

I had a July 2021 SR+ M3 which I replaced to the Feb 2022 LR and I can state the ride comfort and exterior sound improved…literally over 7 months.

I’m Turo-ing a 2021 3p today.. do you know if it’s pretty much identical driving wise to the 2023?
Just keep in mind Turo cars are basically rental cars. They get beaten up and driven like sh-t from time to time. Especially a Perf model which one would rent to literally drive the f out of lol. Can you not simply goto a Tesla SC and request a 2023 PM3 test drive? This will be your true measure.

Just keep in mind Turo cars are basically rental cars. They get beaten up and driven like sh-t from time to time. Especially a Perf model which one would rent to literally drive the f out of lol. Can you not simply goto a Tesla SC and request a 2023 PM3 test drive? This will be your true measure.

Then you would not be able to drive the F out of it...

I have driven a loaner of my same year Model S with fewer miles but in far worse shape and several rattles. If that was my only exposure to a Tesla, I wouldn’t have purchased my car.

I don’t know what people do to loaners/rentals, but it’s certainly far worse than how most would treat their own vehicles. That’s why I’d never rent out my own vehicle.

Of course, I tried but all 3P loaner cars are unavailable/sold in my area… Turo was the only way because time is of essence as I’ll miss out on the $7500 discount if not purchased by year end…

Of course, I tried but all 3P loaner cars are unavailable/sold in my area… Turo was the only way because time is of essence as I’ll miss out on the $7500 discount if not purchased by year end…
Ahh…got it. Well all I can say is keep it in mind that driving a new car that’s only been driven by you from day 1, your settings, your seat placement, driving style etc..will feel more like your own.

What you won’t know is how many potholes the Turo has been through and if it’s been tracked, spun out, driven roughly. This all makes a diff.

Wish you all the best buddy…from a former MS owner to M3\MY :)

Reactions: aerodyne
Ahh…got it. Well all I can say is keep it in mind that driving a new car that’s only been driven by you from day 1, your settings, your seat placement, driving style etc..will feel more like your own.

What you won’t know is how many potholes the Turo has been through and if it’s been tracked, spun out, driven roughly. This all makes a diff.

Wish you all the best buddy…from a former MS owner to M3\MY :)
Thanks man! The Turo is a 2021 with 31k miles, and to you point it’s a bit rattley. Lol, the 2022 demo that I test drove felt more solid and that’s the whole reason why I jumped at the year end opportunity. I wish tesla would let me drive my own car a bit before I sign on the bottom line, but that’s not in their policy unfortunately. At this point I’m leaning towards keeping the p85d, unless they let me test drive a new 3/demo tomorrow and it changes my mind!

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne