Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought the FSD - so what Now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the FSD package on Saturday for the $3k.........my Model X was produced in September of 2018 and I have the EAP package. I think I should be getting back $1k.........but my questions is.......what now?

Strangely I haven't had a software update in over a month (49.20)..........it hasn't updated since I took it for it's 12k service appointment.

Am I supposed to get on over the air update to the new FSD software - I received an email that stated: "
It may take up to one hour for your Tesla to update. To install, you’ll need to be parked and have adequate connectivity. When the upgrade is complete, you will see a confirmation on your Tesla touchscreen."

Activating EAP will provide features like TACC, AutoSteer, Summon, AutoPark, NOAP on limited access highways.

Activating FSD will not provide any features yet - though Musk has indicated we should start seeing some features soon, such as expanding the roads on which NOAP can run, or Summon improvements.

For new vehicles, AP provides TACC & AutoSteer, everything else is under FSD, which would immediately provide value by gaining the additional features already implemented (even without FSD).

Still wish they had changed the naming away from FSD - would have been less confusing to label the FSD option as EAP or EAP+, and state that it provided the potential for future FSD.

Still wish they had changed the naming away from FSD - would have been less confusing to label the FSD option as EAP or EAP+, and state that it provided the potential for future FSD.

I totally agree with you. When I purchased the EAP at the time of order, two Tesla sales people made FSD sound like it needed zero human intervention. I didn't buy it at the time, but now I'm tempted if it truly comes with a hardware update.

I bought the FSD package on Saturday for the $3k.........my Model X was produced in September of 2018 and I have the EAP package. I think I should be getting back $1k.........but my questions is.......what now?

Strangely I haven't had a software update in over a month (49.20)..........it hasn't updated since I took it for it's 12k service appointment.

Am I supposed to get on over the air update to the new FSD software - I received an email that stated: "
It may take up to one hour for your Tesla to update. To install, you’ll need to be parked and have adequate connectivity. When the upgrade is complete, you will see a confirmation on your Tesla touchscreen."

I wouldn't hold your breath. I bought FSD in October for $4k, a few months in to my X. I was inspired to do so, because FSD presumably included a future hardware (MCU) upgrade, and my ability to buy for [only] $4k was time limited. The MyTesla page still offers me the opportunity to order FSD, originally $5k, now $3k. There is still no indication that I added FSD after delivery. I was not particularly alarmed, because FSD did not exist then, and still does not. I guess that means I am in the group to be offered Early Access,... But I am already in that program.

I don't really feel cheated, I kind of expected the price of the car to drop over time. But I admit my sequence does not really make me feel warm and fuzzy. I am now wondering which, about to be laid off, owner advisor I should ask.

We need a sticky that says the FSD upgrade is the AP computer above/near the glove compartment and nothing to do with the MCU. :D

I have FSD on my two cars. There is no ‘effect’ until a feature comes out that is part of FSD or needs the AP3 CPU (upon which they will be scheduling installation of it for us).

No one now will be getting anything.

As for the early access program, who knows if/when people in that will get anything. I know people in it who still have never gotten a beta release ever.

• Informative
Reactions: fbitz777
On the EV-FW site there are only 16 people that recorded 49.20 ( I am one of those).........very very low percentage of all that are on that site. A little strange..........hope an update comes soon......prior to the 49.20 I was "Keeping up with the Jones" on the upgrades........

On the EV-FW site there are only 16 people that recorded 49.20 ( I am one of those).........very very low percentage of all that are on that site. A little strange..........hope an update comes soon......prior to the 49.20 I was "Keeping up with the Jones" on the upgrades........
I'm one of those, too... thought it was odd to be on that particular release for so long. I did order FSD with the car purchase, though.

For prestige value, perhaps Tesla (or aftermarket) could provide a badge proclaiming FSD of EAP. Would make others aware of your capability.

Kind of like current ICE cars have Turbo, AWD, AMG, or LX badges.

And the capability is what? Full self driving badge on a car that cant fully self drive?

FSD does not exist. You're preordering a promise that was said to come to life a year ago.

I'm "parked" on 49.20 as well. No updates since then, and that happened late Dec. / early Jan. -- According to the 'stats' app that's something like only 3% on 49.20. I wonder why we were put there...
Just chatted with my local SC about being stuck on 49.20 and he said it has something to do with an incomplete branch of the firmware. Said it requires programming which is being done. Said he expects it to be updated in a week or so. We shall see.