Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake and Roll test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s see how many of the ‘news’ outlets that ran yesterday’s crap run this story.

Oh and will Barklikeadog man up and say ‘huh, I guess it was a bs article from business insider’ or will he scurry away in silence like most trolls? I’ll say he takes option 1. If I get odds:)
I would say: I guess it is just another non-critical gushing article from CNet.
seriously, someone can build a 6x6 ridiculous Raptor pickup truck that gets 5MPG and CNet will gush over it. Apple could literally take a turd and put their logo on it and
CNet will rate it an 8 out of 10. Not sure that is the source to go to for serious content. CNet/Roadshow suck up to their advertisers for access and free stuff.
2018 Hennessey Ford Raptor 6x6 at SEMA: when 4 wheels aren't enough
:rolleyes:

seriously, someone can build a 6x6 ridiculous Raptor pickup truck that gets 5MPG and CNet will gush over it. Apple could literally take a turd and put their logo on it and
CNet will rate it an 8 out of 10. Not sure that is the source to go to for serious content. CNet/Roadshow suck up to their advertisers for access and free stuff.
What's your phone number? I'll just call you when I need series content.

Regardless of whether you like CNET or whether you agree with their piece overall, Tesla’s statement to Roadshow about the brake and roll being redundant with the on-track test is exempt from any possible “gushing”. That was just a statement from Tesla. Some possible logical conclusions from this statement alone:
1) Roadshow misreported and Tesla didn’t really say that
2) Tesla honestly thinks the brake and roll test is redundant and it is
3) Tesla honestly thinks the brake and roll test is redundant but it isn’t
4) Tesla removed the test despite a known safety risk

Draw whichever conclusion you like, but this is a gush-free analysis.

Last edited:
Occam’s razor implies Tesla would rather produce 4000 Tesla’s in a week, take a hit and poopoo on the shorts later as every Model 3 sold in 2018 is a high margin model 3.

Making 20000 vehicles just to recall them all makes zero sense.

Reactions: outdoors
Occam’s razor implies Tesla would rather produce 4000 Tesla’s in a week, take a hit and poopoo on the shorts later as every Model 3 sold in 2018 is a high margin model 3.

Making 20000 vehicles just to recall them all makes zero sense.
Who is Occam and what’s his razor got to do with it? Rather than have a talk about shaving, how about we just pick whichever is the simplest explanation, but no simpler? I mean, really, if we have to make unnecessary assumptions, that’s probably not it, right?

I am really tired of this crap. I spoke of this issue with two industry exec's both were chiding me on the media news. We did this on the pontoon boat today. Over some great IPA's. Both said makes sense to me what Tesla is doing. One used to work at McLaren for many years. Cars testing on a track make sense to a point he said. Till you can't do it any longer for the opposite reason. As in Tesla will reach a point when they don't or can't test drive cars because of time. So what the heck do I know.

Waiting for a perfect world for a perfect car built just the way all consumers and all the media want them to will never happen.

Till then carry on Tesla. Build it and they will come.

Thanks for the comedy, truly. Let me know how many articles you find there about deplorable conditions inside of an Amazon sweatshop, or articles critical of a rogue/overstepping intelligence bureaucracy (after accounting for Bezos' multimillion dollar contract with the CIA). Geeze, sometimes it's just better to bite one's lip since I've stepped in it now.

It occurs that a "brake and roll" thread isn't the place for this. Had a brief look at your profile... here's guessing no amount of debate here would make a difference anyway.

From the Business Insider article:

"Ron Harbour, a consultant at Oliver Wyman who founded and writes "The Harbour Report," a worldwide guide to manufacturing, told Business Insider that after everything is installed in a car during the manufacturing process, a manufacturer would have to be very lucky for everything on a car to be in alignment.

If you just abandon [the test], you could potentially have a lot of quality issues with your customers," he said. "Every plant does that ... It's part of finishing the build of the car."

Harbour told Business Insider he was unaware of any test that could adequately replace the brake-and-roll test on a manufacturing line."

o_O

I guess the next line of argument will be that this guy must be a shill for Big Oil or the Big Three, eh? :rolleyes:
The thing is that the makers of brake and roll test equipment don't seem to say that it has and alignment testing capability. These same vendors also make wh

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I am really tired of this crap. I spoke of this issue with two industry exec's both were chiding me on the media news. We did this on the pontoon boat today. Over some great IPA's. Both said makes sense to me what Tesla is doing. One used to work at McLaren for many years. Cars testing on a track make sense to a point he said. Till you can't do it any longer for the opposite reason. As in Tesla will reach a point when they don't or can't test drive cars because of time. So what the heck do I know.

Waiting for a perfect world for a perfect car built just the way all consumers and all the media want them to will never happen.

Till then carry on Tesla. Build it and they will come.

Yeah - love how everyone became brake and roll / automobile manufacturing experts overnight because of one hit piece they read on the internet.

I didn’t even say Tesla won’t have any issues doing what they are doing because I simply don’t know. All I can do is wait and see, drive the finished product, and wait for the peer reviews to come in.

Saying it is an issue or slamming Tesla is a presumption of fault and talking out of your ass.

I’m already annoyed at the 2-4 month wait time. The only thing annoying me more is pundits who don’t own Tesla’s, don’t intend to own Tesla’s and being whiny AF without any skin in the game.

Though I am somewhat upset st Tesla having the nerve to ask me for a second deposit of 2500 just to make my car.

Those cash grabbing jerks are going to want me to pay another 60,000 to take it home.

For something built in a tent with punctured batteries, falling apart from not being welded and no confirmation if I even have brakes that come with the car. At least I can visually inspect for red calipers..

From the Business Insider article:by

"Ron Harbour, a consultant at Oliver Wyman who founded and writes "The Harbour Report," a worldwide guide to manufacturing, told Business Insider that after everything is installed in a car during the manufacturing process, a manufacturer would have to be very lucky for everything on a car to be in alignment.

If you just abandon [the test], you could potentially have a lot of quality issues with your customers," he said. "Every plant does that ... It's part of finishing the build of the car."

Harbour told Business Insider he was unaware of any test that could adequately replace the brake-and-roll test on a manufacturing line."

o_O

I guess the next line of argument will be that this guy must be a shill for Big Oil or the Big Three, eh? :rolleyes:
The thing is that the makers of brake and roll test equipment don't say that it has any alignment testing capability. These same vendors also make wheel alignment equipment that is used to measure alignment in factory manufacturing. So it seems like Ron Harbour is somehow conflating two different test steps. I think he could have been misled by BI, or he could be misleading himself.

Yeah - love how everyone became brake and roll / automobile manufacturing experts overnight because of one hit piece they read on the internet.

I didn’t even say Tesla won’t have any issues doing what they are doing because I simply don’t know. All I can do is wait and see, drive the finished product, and wait for the peer reviews to come in.

Saying it is an issue or slamming Tesla is a presumption of fault and talking out of your ass.

I’m already annoyed at the 2-4 month wait time. The only thing annoying me more is pundits who don’t own Tesla’s, don’t intend to own Tesla’s and being whiny AF without any skin in the game.

Though I am somewhat upset st Tesla having the nerve to ask me for a second deposit of 2500 just to make my car.

Those cash grabbing jerks are going to want me to pay another 60,000 to take it home.

For something built in a tent with punctured batteries, falling apart from not being welded and no confirmation if I even have brakes that come with the car. At least I can visually inspect for red calipers..

Everyone has to pay the next $2500. Even me who took delivery in Jan. This is no special money grab as the media has made it. Are you in? Well give me some more before I make the car for you.

I walked into a Chrysler stealership (pre bankruptcy of course) inquiring about the Crossfire when it was fist coming out. They said they wanted a 50% deposit on full MSRP+3k. I said WTF? They said there is a line behind you sir. Tesla didn't do this, but again. Haters be hating.

Everyone has to pay the next $2500. Even me who took delivery in Jan. This is no special money grab as the media has made it. Are you in? Well give me some more before I make the car for you.

I walked into a Chrysler stealership (pre bankruptcy of course) inquiring about the Crossfire when it was fist coming out. They said they wanted a 50% deposit on full MSRP+3k. I said WTF? They said there is a line behind you sir. Tesla didn't do this, but again. Haters be hating.

People actually think it’s a money grab. Same set of people who think dihydrogen monoxide should be banned as it can kill young children if they are left unattended around it.

Confirmation towards principal for a Model X was 5,000 but no one thinks twice because that’s less than the sales tax.

It occurs that a "brake and roll" thread isn't the place for this. Had a brief look at your profile... here's guessing no amount of debate here would make a difference anyway.
Fair enough, though there's nothing more incendiary in my profile than the phrase under my username, which isn't that controversial. You are correct that there is probably not much common ground we would find since there is a huge delta in our worldviews based on our already expressed opinions about editorial reporting and objective media sources. We also both have an equal number of detractors upon last check (disagrees/funny ratings), reflecting the reality of the ongoing info war. To keep it relatively on-topic, I'll be excited to see if Elon's crowdsourced media accuracy rating tool ever launches.

Not too long ago Ford dealers were getting 10k over sticker on Raptors. People were trading in or selling 3yr old Raptors for original sticker price. If they can, they will.