Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Braking distance concern by Consumer Reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct. There is no transition from regen to friction. They are completely independent of each other. However when you press the brake pad, both regen and friction are working at the same time.

Then in that case actual brakes are pretty bad. I think regen is stopping at certain speed, so we lose the retardation provided by regen. Once we lose that it feels like brakes are not holding at same pressure/brake pedal position any more.

What is the braking performance supposed to be when the battery is full and regen is disabled or limited?
Braking should only be limited by the tires adhesion to the road surface.
ABS = AntiLock Braking System should keep tires near the adhesion limits.

in other words, regen should not make any measurable difference
(regen does do some of the braking work and might help delay brake disc overheating - enough to measure? I don't know)

Reactions: Arpe and mongo
Braking should only be limited by the tires adhesion to the road surface.
ABS = AntiLock Braking System should keep tires near the adhesion limits.

in other words, regen should not make any measurable difference
(regen does do some of the braking work and might help delay brake disc overheating - enough to measure? I don't know)

Got it, so we're not expecting any braking improvement to come from regen. So what then is the software update expected to improve? ABS modulation?

Regen kicking in as soon as letting off of accelerator brings up a question. When does the braking test start? is there a computer that senses when the car starts to brake and starts the test? if the test were to start when car is starting to slow at that point, it would be a faulty test since the brakes were not yet applied.

Regen kicking in as soon as letting off of accelerator brings up a question. When does the braking test start? is there a computer that senses when the car starts to brake and starts the test? if the test were to start when car is starting to slow at that point, it would be a faulty test since the brakes were not yet applied.

Guess:
Cruise control set to 60. Slam on brakes at the marker line (along with having a 5th wheel monitor mounted to the car).

• Helpful
Reactions: Darmie
FWIW: Not another auto company could have handled this issue as quickly and as completely as Tesla....
Oh, I agree. If you look back at this thread you will see a lot of people opining on how this couldn't be fixed OTA regardless of what Elon said. Or how this would take months to fix. Or how expensive all the hardware changes, new brake systems, etc. would cost. I was just pointing that out in case people forgot what their very confident position was on this brake issue. :)

• Love
Reactions: Brando