Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

If you believe that then I've a bridge to sell you.

The EU has, quite correctly, put a lot of protections in place to prevent the UK over-subsidising and becoming an offshore problem.

So far Tesla has avoided getting sucked into politics, and has not been deceived by local snake oil pedlars. If Tesla is pulled into the UK then the taxpayer-funding will need to be humongous. And that will cause problems. I am expecting this to be the first large-scale test case of the EU's protections.

If you believe that then I've a bridge to sell you.

The EU has, quite correctly, put a lot of protections in place to prevent the UK over-subsidising and becoming an offshore problem.

So far Tesla has avoided getting sucked into politics, and has not been deceived by local snake oil pedlars. If Tesla is pulled into the UK then the taxpayer-funding will need to be humongous. And that will cause problems. I am expecting this to be the first large-scale test case of the EU's protections.

They are using "Gifafactory" to mean battery factories producing more than 1 GWh of batteries per year not necessarily Tesla.

BritishVolt is a startup raising funds for a gigafactory among others.

As Elon has said many times demand for batteries exceed Teslas capacity to produce them in the foreseeable future.

I am sure UK will have at least one gigafactory.

Reactions: Buckminster
https://www.thelocal.no/20201229/norways-centre-party-the-british-have-a-better-deal-than-the-eea

Marit Arnstad, parliamentary leader of the (Norwegian) Centre Party, said in an interview with the Klassekampen newspaper on Tuesday

"From my point of view, the British have a better agreement than the EEA. They gain access to the internal market and common trade, which is desirable, but they do not have to be part of the dynamic regulatory development that places strong limits on individual countries' national policies."

"The British have been released from the European Court of Justice. They are no longer subject to EU supremacy and must not accept any EU legislation in the future as we have to," he said.

"This agreement... safeguards national sovereignty in a better way than the EEA does for us."

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
They are using "Gifafactory" to mean battery factories producing more than 1 GWh of batteries per year not necessarily Tesla.

BritishVolt is a startup raising funds for a gigafactory among others.

As Elon has said many times demand for batteries exceed Teslas capacity to produce them in the foreseeable future.

I am sure UK will have at least one gigafactory.

1GWh/year is only 20,000/year x 50kWh.
UK car market is about 2,300,000 /year and the van market is over 300,000/year.
So, logistically it seems that any country with vehicle manufacturing will have battery factories.

But, we could equally expect cheap energy and labor to win out as usual and have the batteries imported.

Click bait title. Very miss leading.

If you look at the numbers in the article it actually should be closer to break even than it was 4 years ago. More people voted to stay in the pole. But not quite enough for stay to win. But it’s so close it’s well within polling error ranger. Under 1% difference. The “shock” is they expected Stay to Win, despite it gained some ground.
A week ago I think the British would have voted to remain. With this deal in place, it may have swung back to Brexit. We will see soon what the public think about this deal when it starts having small but tangible affects on their lives.

1GWh/year is only 20,000/year x 50kWh.
UK car market is about 2,300,000 /year and the van market is over 300,000/year.
So, logistically it seems that any country with vehicle manufacturing will have battery factories.

But, we could equally expect cheap energy and labor to win out as usual and have the batteries imported.

They why isn't Tesla importing cells to CA and TX from China?

Why is NorthVolt/VW build gigafactories in Sweden and Germany?

Why is Tesla building TF in Germany?

UK is getting more and more cheap wind/solar energy every day. Doubt factory is for minimum 1 GWh anyway. Also probably not 500 GWh-2 TWh either.

Click bait title. Very miss leading.

If you look at the numbers in the article it actually should be closer to break even than it was 4 years ago. More people voted to stay in the pole. But not quite enough for stay to win. But it’s so close it’s well within polling error ranger. Under 1% difference. The “shock” is they expected Stay to Win, despite it gained some ground.

In 2016 Leave was behind ~2% in public polls. The "shock" is that Leave has gained in public polls compared to 2016.

It is highly likely Leave would outperform the polls again.

Once Project Fear is proven false. Leave will gain again.

England is in-line with most other European polities.

Scotland, Wales, and North Ireland are the outliers.

2 days into Brexit. The world doesn't look too different. Lorries getting across the channel okay. I would have preferred remain but I will take this.

I've never been able to understand the passion the leavers had about it. Prior to the referendum, its something I'd rarely even consider. It just seemed like a normal progression of civilised behavior to me to be more integrated with a peaceful Europe. I suppose I'm of a globalist mindset though, have never understood the tribalism of nationalism.

I hope for the best of course, but expect the UK will be financially a little poorer for it going forward, but, of course, its hard to quantify.

What I really take issue with and really does p**s me off, is the removal of my right to freely move about Europe as an EU citizen. I wish there was an option to get an EU passport rather than now just being a "little Englander" :(

Lily of St. Leonards

What would Rejoin mean?

1. Britain would have to sign up to join the Euro.
  2. We would have to join the Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM). Look up Black Wednesday 1992 if you are too young to remember.
  3. We would have to join Schengen which would mean there would be no border controls at all between Britain and France. The people in the camps could just get on the Eurostar. Anyone who could get into the EU could get into Britain without even being checked.
  4. We would have to pay the EU membership fee without the rebate negotiated by Margaret Thatcher.
  5. We would have to renounce any trade deal we made with USA, Australia, New Zealand or anyone else.
  6. We would have to sign up again to the Common Agricultural Policy and Common Fisheries Policy, giving up control over our agriculture and fish.
  7. We would have to reapply EU law and accept that EU law was supreme.
  8. We would have to sign up to the EU’s Covid bailout fund and any future bailout fund to take care of those EU economies that have been wrecked in the past decade and more.
  9. We would have to give back all the powers that we have received because of Brexit.
  10. We would have to accept that Britain would eventually become a region in a United Europe. The EU would never allow Britain to rejoin in a half in half out fashion.
At the next election neither Labour nor the Lib Dems will campaign for Rejoin. It’s one thing to argue for Remain, but that argument is now gone. Britain could not expect to go back to where we were in 2016, just to cause trouble again. All the opt outs and dragging our feet about European integration would have to be jettisoned. We’d have to be fully on board the EU project if we wanted to rejoin. We’d have to be good Europeans rather than troublemakers.

Reactions: Lasairfion
We’d have to be fully on board the EU project if we wanted to rejoin. We’d have to be good Europeans rather than troublemakers.

Sounds the right approach. Rejoin now. Behave properly.

However these are Tesla investment forums. Is it possible to ask that we keep this to Tesla-specific investment-related matters ?

If not, my guess is that it will be very messy here.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lasairfion