Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken driver's side mirror - where to get replacement glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a month ago the driver's side mirror was hit by something in a crowded parking lot. I found the housing folded out and the glass on the ground, with several fractures.
It took me only a few seconds to figure out how to reconnect the wires and push it back in place, and then I ordered a replacement glass from the local sevice center.

Today I dropped by (not the first time) and still no mirror. I see no reason to swap the entire unit when everything else is in pristine condition, all I want is a new glass!

It seems that Tesla doesn't deliver glass only as a spare part? I am not the only one with a broken mirror, and I am sure there will be more in the future. So now I wonder if there is any other car that uses the same mirrors? An original spare whould be best of course, but I have really waited long enough.

About a month ago the driver's side mirror was hit by something in a crowded parking lot. I found the housing folded out and the glass on the ground, with several fractures.
It took me only a few seconds to figure out how to reconnect the wires and push it back in place, and then I ordered a replacement glass from the local sevice center.

Today I dropped by (not the first time) and still no mirror. I see no reason to swap the entire unit when everything else is in pristine condition, all I want is a new glass!

It seems that Tesla doesn't deliver glass only as a spare part? I am not the only one with a broken mirror, and I am sure there will be more in the future. So now I wonder if there is any other car that uses the same mirrors? An original spare whould be best of course, but I have really waited long enough.
Do you have the Tech package? If you do, be advised that the mirror has a heater element in it to defrost the mirror. I think this is standard with the Tech package and may not be with other manufacturers.

That's tough. Components that affect safety should get a high priority.

A lot of manufacturers sell mirror assemblies as a set: break only the mirror, buy a whole new assembly. So Tesla's taking a more sane approach, or at least they would be if they ever delivered the thing to you.

The mirrors aren't from the Mercedes parts bin, if that's what you're asking. They're custom sizing. Unfortunately, your options are limited to either waiting patiently, or complaining up the chain at Tesla while you're waiting.

Nice find. It looks like, and I'm just guessing here, that's it's even the heated version. You can see the black connector (white on the car side), as well as two additional blades (black wires with pink connectors on the car side) for a total of four wires into the mirror. Two for heating, two for controlling dimming. The blue connector on the car side goes to the mirror motor.

My guess is the blades are for the heater, given the eBay pictures of the mirror frame show that both of the leads are black, so there's no directionality, which would be the case for a resistive heater.

Also, wow, these mirrors have some serious anchoring to the car. Look at that giant metal connection bracket! You'd cause all kinds of bending damage if you backed that into a garage door.