Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I ordered my 60, the it was 66k. Add $5k for D and it was 71k (70k if you got referral). I had to pay for an all glass roof and PUP which is mostly now standard. It seems like Telsa is fine with selling a base S for around $70k -- I wouldn't expect that to change with the 3 in the lineup. I also think the 100D went up by $10k for no good reason and I see that price coming down to create further separation from the P100D.

When I ordered my 60, the it was 66k. Add $5k for D and it was 71k (70k if you got referral). I had to pay for an all glass roof and PUP which is mostly now standard. It seems like Telsa is fine with selling a base S for around $70k -- I wouldn't expect that to change with the 3 in the lineup. I also think the 100D went up by $10k for no good reason and I see that price coming down to create further separation from the P100D.

But at some point there is no separation, but price. If the car doesn't have noticeably more range, or noticeably more performance, or any exclusive options, why even buy it? Because it says 100 on the back?

They could add a Tesla Model S 100D exclusive, for 200k. It doesn't come with more than a 100D, but it gets an exclusive badge at the back and those 100k surely separate the two...

But at some point there is no separation, but price. If the car doesn't have noticeably more range, or noticeably more performance, or any exclusive options, why even buy it? Because it says 100 on the back?

They could add a Tesla Model S 100D exclusive, for 200k. It doesn't come with more than a 100D, but it gets an exclusive badge at the back and those 100k surely separate the two...

That's one of the reasons that I think something is coming. The technical gap between the hypothetical "new 85D" and 100D is very minor. Even the gap to the P100D is minor. Although some folks will still pay for the performance.

For 4 months Tesla sold a 90D and a 100D. For 2 of those months they were only separated by $3k. An 85D and a 100D have about 40 miles of range that separates them. That is the same range difference between the 75D and the 90D that existed as a pairing for over a year. Yes the 75D and the 90D had performance differences but I doubt that is what drove buyers to the 90D -- it was simply range and that same range gap will exist between an 85D and a 100D. That is enough for some buyers. The price difference might narrow but I see the 100D coming down and not the base price going up.

Reactions: MP3Mike
For 4 months Tesla sold a 90D and a 100D. For 2 of those months they were only separated by $3k. An 85D and a 100D have about 40 miles of range that separates them. That is the same range difference between the 75D and the 90D that existed as a pairing for over a year. Yes the 75D and the 90D had performance differences but I doubt that is what drove buyers to the 90D -- it was simply range and that same range gap will exist between an 85D and a 100D. That is enough for some buyers. The price difference might narrow but I see the 100D coming down and not the base price going up.

I personally think the premium paid for the 100D vs 85D is not worth it for the amount of range you get. I know Elon said nothing greater than 100kwh is coming but I really doubt this to be the case. I don't think they realized how much the 3 is a threat to their $100k luxury sedan, so I think some things have changed for them internally.

I personally think the premium paid for the 100D vs 85D is not worth it for the amount of range you get. I know Elon said nothing greater than 100kwh is coming but I really doubt this to be the case. I don't think they realized how much the 3 is a threat to their $100k luxury sedan, so I think some things have changed for them internally.

The 3 is not a threat at all. I have a family. If I wanted a smaller sedan I'd have waited for the 3. There are lots of people that, when they actually get into a 3, will realize its not a mini-S but rather a wholly different car. There is a reason all car manufacturers have different levels of car. A 3,5,7; C/E/S; A4, A6, A8, etc.

The 3 only has 15 cubic feet of storage space. 15. The S has 56 with seats folded down, 26 without (plus a frunk). Try taking a road trip with toddlers (or worse, older bigger kids!) and halving your storage space. I don't care if it goes 300 miles in a single charge, its going to suck. The S will be fine.

Also my 60D, as I said, was 70k. That's not 100k. No, I could get a 3 and my 60D and still be at 100k. So I don't buy it and clearly neither does Tesla.

And by how much? 10k? If Tesla reduces the price of the 100D, S and X, by 10k, without adding options to capture those lost 10k, they will end up having a couple of hundred million less in profits.

It could be that the 100D goes down, but I also think the 85D will go up, compared to todays 75D.

The 3 is not a threat at all. I have a family. If I wanted a smaller sedan I'd have waited for the 3. There are lots of people that, when they actually get into a 3, will realize its not a mini-S but rather a wholly different car. There is a reason all car manufacturers have different levels of car. A 3,5,7; C/E/S; A4, A6, A8, etc.

The 3 only has 15 cubic feet of storage space. 15. The S has 56 with seats folded down, 26 without (plus a frunk). Try taking a road trip with toddlers (or worse, older bigger kids!) and halving your storage space. I don't care if it goes 300 miles in a single charge, its going to suck. The S will be fine.

Also my 60D, as I said, was 70k. That's not 100k. No, I could get a 3 and my 60D and still be at 100k. So I don't buy it and clearly neither does Tesla.

I was clearly talking about the 100D, hence the reference to the $100k sedan.

The 3 is not THAT much smaller than the S. I can see that if you have a family, the extra space would surely make a difference but overall the 3 is too good of a value proposition for those people who had to stretch to get an S.

It was only a matter of time, before they switched to the new modules for all their cars. I was just hoping that they would use 12 modules, for a 76.5 kWh car, instead of 14 for a 89.3 kWh version.

That new 85D will be way too close in range to a 100D, for Tesla to allow it being $23k cheaper. So anyone thinking about ordering a 75D, or even more a RWD 75... I'd do that right now. Those are the best value for money Model Ses that ever existed.

The problem is 12X modules would only be a 300V battery which would make the DC charging speed of the new 75 only 75% of the 100 pack. That wouldn't be too popular.

Tesla might keep the 75 as a software limited 85/90 for a while and price the 85/90 higher, or they might go the radical step and lower the price of the 100. That would stimulate sales of the 100s.

The 85D had a rated range of 272 miles and the 100D is 335 miles. The refresh 90D had an advertised range of 294 miles. If they are going to bring out a new 85 or 90, it will actually have more KWh than the old 90, which will give it a range around 300 miles. The new 85/90 will have a range gap with the 100D that is less than 40 miles.

Here are some ranges per Wikipedia:

60D (software limited) - 218 Mi
75D - 259 mi
85D - 272 mi
90D - 294 mi
100D - 335 Mi

It does look like the difference between the new 85/90 and 100 will be about the same as the difference between the 75 and 90. In general you're correct.

Here are some ranges per Wikipedia:

60D (software limited) - 218 Mi
75D - 259 mi
85D - 272 mi

90D - 294 mi
100D - 335 Mi

It does look like the difference between the new 85/90 and 100 will be about the same as the difference between the 75 and 90. In general you're correct.

One would hope the range upgrade from on the 75 to 85 battery would be more than 13 miles.