Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of a S 75D on 21th september, order confirmed 3th august.
75 kwh sticker and BTX5

In Norway.

Seems like the 85 kwh deliveries was just a phase.

Still very happy, car is awesome and alot quicker than my old rwd S60.

Interestingly I thought I'd call my SC today and act dumb and say 'I've seen this sticker, blah blah'.

She confirmed I had an 85kWh battery software locked to 75kWh. I said 'great......whats that for?' she said 'you can pay and get it unlocked and get more range'

I asked 'how much?' She said, 'I'll get a price and come back to you tomorrow'

I bet I don't get a call.............

Interestingly I thought I'd call my SC today and act dumb and say 'I've seen this sticker, blah blah'.

She confirmed I had an 85kWh battery software locked to 75kWh. I said 'great......whats that for?' she said 'you can pay and get it unlocked and get more range'

I asked 'how much?' She said, 'I'll get a price and come back to you tomorrow'

I bet I don't get a call.............
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a while before you got a call back since the 75->85 upgrade pricing hasn't been announced yet. Eventually, I would expect the option to show up in your car and in your My Tesla page.

I got the call from the SC. Told me that the pricing hadn't been finalised for the 75 to 85 upgrade. She would keep my details and let me know. Also that it would be on the mytesla site when an upgrade is available.

This makes me really puzzled. Since we clearly have seen that BTX8 cars were delivered during 2 months or so and now all 75-cars seem to be back to BTX5 since a couple of months back.

How on earth would Tesla describe this to all the customers? I mean, they can't just got out and tell the press that a few random people in Europe who took delivery of a 75D during 2 months or so can upgrade their vehicles to a 85D by paying a certain amount of dollars. This doesn't make sense. If this upgrade path will happen ALL 75-models after a certain production week and onwards MUST have the 85-battery limited to 75 even if the option codes currently state BTX5. Either this path or the few owners of 85-packs will never get the option to upgrade.

Is there anyone out there who have taken delivery just recently of a 75D with new back seat AP2.5 etc and have Supercharged with their car? What is the maximum kWh charging speed?? If you see above 110kWh it is for sure a 400V pack.

This whole thing really concerns me. Because I think the 75D 350V is a little on the small side, but at the same time I don't need to go the full way to 100D. The 85, 400V pack would be my sweet spot.

This is SO annoying that Tesla just can't come out and shed some light on this! :mad:

I just took delivery of my new 75D (with 75 sticker) and supercharged. Can't remember kWh charging speed but I think it topped out around 305 miles per hour. Started with 85 rated miles so not sure where that's at in the taper cycle.

Sounds like you were below 100kWh during that SuC event which indicates a 350v battery.

Would be interesting to get more examples, and then info about the actual kWh speeds.

Maybe Tesla simply delayed the 85 kWh ramp-up, knowing that Model 3 is a bit delayed too...?

Maybe they started shipping them in the summer, to international markets first (so that they wouldn't be stuck with 75 kWh inventory abroad), and now have dialed plans back since 85 kWh may be coming a bit later.

It still makes sense they might move to 85 kWh on the base Model S to keep the high-end Model 3 from meeting or exceeding its specs once that is launched to the public...

Maybe Tesla simply delayed the 85 kWh ramp-up, knowing that Model 3 is a bit delayed too...?

Maybe they started shipping them in the summer, to international markets first (so that they wouldn't be stuck with 75 kWh inventory abroad), and now have dialed plans back since 85 kWh may be coming a bit later.

It still makes sense they might move to 85 kWh on the base Model S to keep the high-end Model 3 from meeting or exceeding its specs once that is launched to the public...
but when would they pull the trigger to make thathe.swap...that is the question...

RPK8BHW.jpg

Our S 75 (formerly software-limited S 60) has been manufactured in July 2016 and maxes out at a charging rate of 100 kW.

I'm just trying to find out if this really is the maximum that battery pack can be charged with in this thread:

Has anybody with a Model S or X 75 kWh battery ever seen a charging rate of more than 100 kW?

RPK8BHW.jpg

Our S 75 (formerly software-limited S 60) has been manufactured in July 2016 and maxes out at a charging rate of 100 kW.

I'm just trying to find out if this really is the maximum that battery pack can be charged with in this thread:

Has anybody with a Model S or X 75 kWh battery ever seen a charging rate of more than 100 kW?

Hi,

60kWh, 70kWh and 75kWh packs are 350VDC.
Supercharging at 350VDC and pulling a maximum of 300 Amp will give you 105kW

P = U x I
P= 350 x 300
P = 105 000 (105kW)

The 85kWh, 90kWh and 100kWh packs are 400VDC
Supercharging at 400VDC and pulling a maximum of 300 A will give you 120kW