Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble formed on screen ... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were they upgraded units?
they only put in MCU2 or later
MCU2 is so much better than the original, especially with any firmware over 6.2 or so...made my '12 S useable w/ out constant freezing and super slow console, like dial up HD downloads on a 28k modem.

$1500 isn't terrible for a whole car computer....can't imagine what it costs on other brands like BMW ,Mercedes, Porsche?

My 2016 Model S just developed a ~ 7"x0.25" bubble on the left edge of screen, not sure how to fix it by myself...

MCU1? If you have basic car head unit install skills. Can fix MCU1 bubbling issue for $95+tax for replacement part

2016 X

Originally from Washington, then lived in Orlando for 5 years or so and now lives in Fort Lauderdale where it can get pretty hot.
We have had cabin overheat protection turned on since we got it and the seemingly inevitable screen bubbles started were there when we bought it (on the big screen) and started grown rather quickly shortly after we bought it.
Today the screens look like this (see attached pictures)

after speaking with Tesla the options are
1. remove and replace myself with some replacements I can buy on eBay and pay Tesla to re-code the screens / MCU to my VIN
COST ~$2000 ($1500 for parts on ebay and $500 estimate to Tesla to re-code)
2. pay Tesla to do the whole job
COST ~$2500 includes MCU 2 and FM Radio option
option to KEEP old screens to re-sell on eBay is available, but will cost another $750 CORE charge

wanted to get opinions of the community before I pull the trigger on option 2
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 9.59.17 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 9.59.25 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 9.59.35 AM.png

Reactions: mlouie23
I cant believe they agreed to let you source used MCUs and they'd recode them, how the mighty have fallen.

Option 3: buy the SCREEN parts on ebay (or buy an mcu whatever, and pull the screen off) and swap the display portion over. No coding needed. Its just like an ipad in a way, a ribbon connector to pipe info into the display. They are modular in the sense that an MCU is 2 parts, screen + computer

I cant believe they agreed to let you source used MCUs and they'd recode them, how the mighty have fallen.

Option 3: buy the SCREEN parts on ebay (or buy an mcu whatever, and pull the screen off) and swap the display portion over. No coding needed. Its just like an ipad in a way, a ribbon connector to pipe info into the display. They are modular in the sense that an MCU is 2 parts, screen + computer
yes BUT then your at the mercy of it happening again with the new screens ... being in southern florida, I am going to opt to replace with the new MCU2 and hopefully upgraded screens ... and hope that they dont leak, or turn yellow!
Tesla did mention that they would come with a 2 year warranty

I've yet to hear of any of the current generation LCD screens yellowing or leaking. They've been in production for 3-5 years.
...$1500 isn't terrible for a whole car computer....can't imagine what it costs on other brands like BMW ,Mercedes, Porsche?
I priced a Lexus 9" touch display unit (no amps or many other components that is in MCU2) for a 7-year-old car. The part cost from Lexus was $4300. The installation cost was not included. Makes the Tesla MCU2 retrofit a bargain.

• Love
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Sorry but my Ipad sits RIGHT NEXT to my 17" screen 24-7 and has had zero issues. I call BS on automotive grade when commercial touchscreens see FAR HIGHER extremes in environment and perform basically forever
Do you leave your laptop screen open in the direct sun every day? Does it operate from -20F to 150F? Is it mounted to a vibration table (i.e. the car) for its life? Does it encounter 0% to 100% humidity? The automotive environment is far harsher than that of laptops intended for a comfortable home environment. It is impressive that your laptop is working well when sitting in the car 24/7, but our SF bay area isn't that tough.

Looking at the LG LCD display specs, the screen Tesla uses is automotive grade. The problem is it didn't stay reliable over the long term. I'm not sure how Tesla would have known. LG changed the design at some point in production to solve the problems. It appears they didn't change the model number, so it's hard to know when the changes were made. The specifications didn't change.

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Thx for sharing! How do you know if you're out of warranty...this wouldn't fit under the 8yr battery coverage, and I assume this bubble issue would've been covered under the 4yr basic warranty?
2016 X

Originally from Washington, then lived in Orlando for 5 years or so and now lives in Fort Lauderdale where it can get pretty hot.
We have had cabin overheat protection turned on since we got it and the seemingly inevitable screen bubbles started were there when we bought it (on the big screen) and started grown rather quickly shortly after we bought it.
Today the screens look like this (see attached pictures)

after speaking with Tesla the options are
1. remove and replace myself with some replacements I can buy on eBay and pay Tesla to re-code the screens / MCU to my VIN
COST ~$2000 ($1500 for parts on ebay and $500 estimate to Tesla to re-code)
2. pay Tesla to do the whole job
COST ~$2500 includes MCU 2 and FM Radio option
option to KEEP old screens to re-sell on eBay is available, but will cost another $750 CORE charge

wanted to get opinions of the community before I pull the trigger on option 2View attachment 925233View attachment 925234View attachment 925235