Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble formed on screen ... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mid-2014 S85

My Bubble Buddy grew up, and looks a lot better (now that he extends all the way across the top).
The Service Center gave me an estimate broken down with part-only vs. part-and-labor. That was, I assume, for same version of MCU. I may as well upgrade to a newer version MCU if I'm replacing.
I've been doing my own OOW repairs, but the screen/dash is a little more fiddly than door wiring by what I've heard.

Not a rush (as the bubble-edge doesn't actually obscure anything) but Netflix may tempt me enough to do it! ;)

I was told I should get a new MCU because the new software doesn't work well on the old MCU and mine is slow! they say bubbles are not a problem
service laughed that v9 sucks. said I should have stayed on 8 !!!???WTF
Hold the phone! What you said there seems important: Tesla Service told you that "the new software doesn't work well on the old MCU"??

If so, that would confirm we shouldn't be moving past v8 yet (if ever) on our MCU1 cars. Also, if they knowingly update our cars to a later version that they admit does not work well on that hardware, that admission may be cause for recourse. I would write down the names and/or descriptions of the service center employees who told you this, while your memory is fresh, just in case.

Reactions: Knightowl
Based on the issue with my screen - I was hoping for a resolve a little more current than 2014. My bubble is slowly growing but still not too bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_081748.jpg
    IMG_20190822_081748.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 196
Mine is getting the new screen in a few days, $1400 out of warranty with roamer. I have ceramic UV absorbing tint and have had overheat protection on from whenever it was added.

Annoying. Seems like it should be a service bulletin as common as it seems to be on 2012-2015 cars.

For those who have replaced a display - how far along did you let the bubbling get before replacing? For me, to date on the instrument cluster, the "bubbles" have spread from the upper right corner to roughly 1/3 along the top and about one cm down the right side.

I'm out of warranty so wondering how long to let it ride.

For those who have replaced a display - how far along did you let the bubbling get before replacing? For me, to date on the instrument cluster, the "bubbles" have spread from the upper right corner to roughly 1/3 along the top and about one cm down the right side.

until your screen does not work because of data logging.
bubbles are only cosmetic -per San Rafael Service tech. old MCU will most likely need replacement first due to software.

• Disagree
Reactions: PWlakewood

Mine was all along the left side of MCU and just a few on the right. But the Instrument screen was pretty bad.
IMG_1733.jpeg
IMG_1731.jpeg
IMG_1732.jpeg

If it was me I would replace asap as the gooey stuff can make a huge mess since its leaking out of the bottom

Reactions: Shadious