Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble like issue on dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the first hand account. I had everything OTHER than the dash removed and reinstalled with insulation due to excessive rattling in the dash. The lead tech at my local SC was doing everything he could to avoid replacing the dash as he indicated it is difficult to replace, has many connection points, and that "I might fix one problem and introduce two new ones". Not very reassuring.

Yea, when they initially told me they wouldn't replace due to "sun" exposure (which is even more funny now that they got a brand new one from the factory that had bubbles)I had to talk to the manager to get it approved. He did the same thing: try to scare me about how much had to be removed etc. I talked to the lead tech before they did it and we talked about how much had to be removed and the picture I saw on reddit. He said "yea, it really isn't something you want to see but it really isn't that bad of a replacement due to how modular everything is", "remove all the front pieces and there are six bolts holding the dash assembly in place and that is it"

Based on everyone here that has had it done it is looking more and more like it isn't too bad. I left the car at 9:30 and they called me at like 11-11:30 to let me know the car was taken apart but the new part had bubbles too. So it took, at the most 1.5 hours for them to remove everything.

RandomJohnny...glad to hear your dash replacement went well. Like me, I was crazy nervous about all they had to remove on my car, especially after seeing the Reddit pic. But after it's been replaced, I've had no issues at all with any of the trim or pieces, nor any rattles or squeaks.

--Cintoman

Just an update, stopped at the SC. Stated it is not an easy fix and requires the dash to be taken apart. Stated could need car for up to 2 days and mobile service can't do this. They placed order in for the part but could be up to 2 months to get that part due to parts production issues.
That sounds like BS, my recollection is I’ve had a Ranger pull that part off at my home to fix a rattle.

Maybe replacing it brings up some other issue, like transportation of the part? Or they just don’t want to commit to mobile repair.

That sounds like BS, my recollection is I’ve had a Ranger pull that part off at my home to fix a rattle.

Maybe replacing it brings up some other issue, like transportation of the part? Or they just don’t want to commit to mobile repair.

You should read whole thread. The IP Dash pad assembly requires most of the front and center console to be removed. You are probably thinking of just the wood strip vent which comes off easily.

Thanks for the first hand account. I had everything OTHER than the dash removed and reinstalled with insulation due to excessive rattling in the dash. The lead tech at my local SC was doing everything he could to avoid replacing the dash as he indicated it is difficult to replace, has many connection points, and that "I might fix one problem and introduce two new ones". Not very reassuring.

Just thought of something. They may have redesigned the Dash assembly for better fitment of the vent wood strip piece. Especially if it has been causing rattle issues for so many. I read somewhere that someone had the bubble issues in Fall 2018 and they were told to wait till 2019 for replacement bc the part was redesigned. I thought maybe it meant redesign of the adhesive materials or something related to the bubbles but based on how firm/solid my wood strip vent feels now maybe they redesigned the attachments???? Just a thought

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r
Just thought of something. They may have redesigned the Dash assembly for better fitment of the vent wood strip piece. Especially if it has been causing rattle issues for so many. I read somewhere that someone had the bubble issues in Fall 2018 and they were told to wait till 2019 for replacement bc the part was redesigned. I thought maybe it meant redesign of the adhesive materials or something related to the bubbles but based on how firm/solid my wood strip vent feels now maybe they redesigned the attachments???? Just a thought

That is entirely possible and wouldn't surprise me if true. Tesla is continually having their parts redesigned based on the feedback of customers. If only they would deign to put some more sound insulation in the car.... maybe when Model Y rolls out.

That is entirely possible and wouldn't surprise me if true. Tesla is continually having their parts redesigned based on the feedback of customers. If only they would deign to put some more sound insulation in the car.... maybe when Model Y rolls out.

That's absolutely true that Tesla is continually re-designing parts.

Did anyone know that the headlights were redesigned? They still look the same....but they aint the same.

My opinion....its a good thing to re-design and improve things as a company....but now they have to keep up with double parts inventories.

Oh well....I hope they know what they are doing better than I do.

Last edited:
You should read whole thread. The IP Dash pad assembly requires most of the front and center console to be removed. You are probably thinking of just the wood strip vent which comes off easily.

It actually requires disassembly of EVERYTHING that is connected to the dash including the climate control, center screen, steering wheel, glove box and all of the trim parts.

Literally everything you see in front of you when you are driving the car is hooked onto the "dash pad" which isn't a dash pad at all but is a monocoque structure where you see the dash pad on top but the same part is the support unit for all of the other parts.

fr66a8z35s931.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
\
That's absolutely true that Tesla is continually re-designing parts.

Did anyone know that the headlights were redesigned? They still look the same....but they aint the same.

My opinion....its a good thing to re-design and improve things as a company....but now they have to keep up with double parts inventories.

Oh well....I hope they know what they are doing better than I do.

They don't necessarily need to keep track of double inventories. If a new part revision is compatible with the older vehicles there is zero reason to stock the older parts and I imagine that Tesla have a requirement that new parts must be able to be used on older VIN vehicles... especially for stuff like this.

It actually requires disassembly of EVERYTHING that is connected to the dash including the climate control, center screen, steering wheel, glove box and all of the trim parts.

Literally everything you see in front of you when you are driving the car is hooked onto the "dash pad" which isn't a dash pad at all but is a monocoque structure where you see the dash pad on top but the same part is the support unit for all of the other parts.

fr66a8z35s931.jpg

Is that a Tesla? LOL

That is a Tesla. That's also an extremely expensive design from a labor perspective when you will periodically have to replace the dashboard due to manufacturing incompetence (rattling dashes, imprints on dashes from factory stickers, bubbles on dashes, etc.).

Yeah...that's true, however I might accept all of the anomalies of a Tesla for the designed security and safety of the vehicle. If you have ever taken a Tesla apart....you will notice its built like a Military Tank Erector Set. Its solid and strong.

In other words...I'm actually glad that the dashboard we are talking about isn't just a snap-on logo type part you would find on most cars.

Yeah...that's true, however I might accept all of the anomalies of a Tesla for the designed security and safety of the vehicle. If you have ever taken a Tesla apart....you will notice its built like a Military Tank Erector Set. Its solid and strong.

In other words...I'm actually glad that the dashboard we are talking about isn't just a snap-on logo type part you would find on most cars.

It's likely that Tesla made the dash "pad" part of the monolitich support structure in order to make it solid and reduce rattles and squeaks since separate pads are probably a common source of squeaks in vehicles especially as they age. Ironic though since if it is squeaking from this area you will have to do complete disassembly of everything behind the firewall to fix it.

Tesla's designs are generally quite good from what I have seen and they put a lot of thought into making their cars easy to assemble and service.

On the other hand the actual quality with which the cars are assembled in Fremont leaves a lot to be desired in my experience anyways. Perhaps GF3 will do a better job with more motivated and obedient Chinese workers and a brand new factory that was purpose built for Tesla assembly.

The biggest area that I think Tesla could improve on in their current generation of vehicles is sound dampening. The car has an intolerable amount of road/vibration/wind noise for a car whose average selling price in the US is north of $40K.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
It's likely that Tesla made the dash "pad" part of the monolitich support structure in order to make it solid and reduce rattles and squeaks since separate pads are probably a common source of squeaks in vehicles especially as they age. Ironic though since if it is squeaking from this area you will have to do complete disassembly of everything behind the firewall to fix it.

Tesla's designs are generally quite good from what I have seen and they put a lot of thought into making their cars easy to assemble and service.

On the other hand the actual quality with which the cars are assembled in Fremont leaves a lot to be desired in my experience anyways. Perhaps GF3 will do a better job with more motivated and obedient Chinese workers and a brand new factory that was purpose built for Tesla assembly.

The biggest area that I think Tesla could improve on in their current generation of vehicles is sound dampening. The car has an intolerable amount of road/vibration/wind noise for a car whose average selling price in the US is north of $40K.

I can't disagree.

Damn, I guess I will just live with the small bubble I have then :( Really, I'm just concerned it will get worse. I always use a sun shade, but the service center has never put it up when I go to pickup my car. It was for a couple weeks outside last time I was on vacation.

I have bubbles also.

I think I'm just going to have to live with them.

Its a shame, but I don't trust service centers.

How bad are your bubbles @Garlan Garner ? Do you have any pics your could share?

Mine were spread on the passenger side, smack in the middle of a passenger's field of view. Probably about a 6-7" wide area with many bubbles, some as large as a quarter sized.

--Cintoman