Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building the Full Metal Starship testbed: Starhopper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that those are the quick release valves and supports for LOX and methane lines (Umbilicals). And there are only two of them, in non- symmetrically positioned. I don't think them can be used for hold down.
Good point. Maybe the Starhopper has no need for hold down clamps due to the nature of the testing it will do.

I don’t see any cold gas thrusters on the Starhopper.

bocachicagal: "Thruster pods have been numbered..."
Img_2490s.jpg

Reactions: mongo
"Any update on the Starship presentation we’re all super excited for, I assume it won’t happen on June 20?"
"[presentation] Might get pushed to next month. Starhopper flight first. Waiting on engine repair."

-clarification. Picture unrelated.
Free+quickest+infamous+seahorse_4cf4aa_7147871.jpg

Caught the last 10-15 minutes when we got back from dinner of today’s Starhopper Static Test on this live feed on YouTube. Scrub near the end for the firing.

Think I saw Everyday Astronaut was something like 1.5 miles away from the Boca Chica test site. He said he was going to upload a 4K version to YT afterwards.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Don’t find that video on YouTube yet. The static firing is at the 47:50 point. It only lasted a second or two.

There was a marked amount of “residual flame” at the engine after it stopped firing. And it looked liked on other parts of the Starhopper exterior as well.

Not sure that static fire test was “nominal”. At 51:20 it looked like there was a brief burst of flame and then shortly after that there appeared to be water being sprayed at the base of the rocket for awhile. Another brief burst of flame at 54:40. But the Starhopper is “still there” according to Scott.

Reactions: Grendal
Something went wrong but the Starhopper is still there. The comments on SpaceX FB think that methane was spilled and that caused the secondary flare up. Also, SpaceX has removed the requests for closure in the area which says there will be no hop this week. So SpaceX is working on what went wrong and hopefully nothing is truly damaged to cause a big delay.

Article all about it:
Starhopper fires up for an eventful Static Fire test – NASASpaceFlight.com

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster
Yes, I don’t expect to see any “hopping” this week by the Starhopper.

Elon takes a lot of criticism for “overpromising” and setting unrealistic goals and timelines. I view that as simply a case of a highly optimistic person trying to achieve almost impossible goals. If he wasn’t so optimistic he would not have been able to accomplish the amazing things he has so far with SpaceX and Tesla.