Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building the Full Metal Starship testbed: Starhopper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently the planned 200 meter Starhopper flight has been pushed out to next Wednesday. Not sure why, although it could be the result of negotiations with the FAA. It's likely the FAA has more concern about protecting the nearby population versus the issue of low altitude airspace interference. I'd bet the Feds are all over SpaceX's Automated Flight Termination System. Better to be sure no human has to push any buttons on the late side, just in case.

PUBLIC NOTICE OF CAMERON COUNTY ORDER TO TEMPORARILY CLOSE STATE HIGHWAY 4 AND BOCA CHICA BEACH
TEMP. CLOSURE DATE
TIME OF CLOSURE
CURRENT BEACH STATUS

Primary Date Aug-21-2019 2:00 p.m. -12:00 a.m. Planned Closure
Alternative Date Aug-22-2019 2:00 p.m. -12:00 a.m. Planned Closure
Alternative Date Aug-23-2019 2:00 p.m. -12:00 a.m. Planned Closure

While contemplating these repeated Starhopper test delays (FAA?), I keep wondering how the heck SpaceX plans to make this site work for the long term. Using google maps I counted roughly 35 residential structures in the village of Boca Chica, a mere 1.5 miles away. If some minor property damage has already been reported with the firing of one Raptor engine, imagine 3 or many more.

Quoting the first section of FAA rule 91.119 for defining minimum safe altitudes. "Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes: (a) Anywhere – An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface." This rule basically applies to fixed wing aircraft. Obviously large rockets are a wee bit different and I haven't a clue as to what criteria the FAA has in place. Currently it appears the FAA is evaluating each Starhopper test individually before granting approval. Perhaps not practical, but I suppose SpaceX could start issuing upscale hotel vouchers to the local folks to solve the issue of "undue hazards to persons". Protecting "property on the surface" could be a bit trickier, unless Elon wants to buy a village!

Confirmed by The Gal herself: Mary on Twitter

@BocaChicaGal said:
Sheriff Deputy just hand delivered this notice to me. I guess we will be outside watching the hop.
ECxaAZEXoAEgJAB

• Informative
Reactions: Nikxice and HVM
Not sure if SpaceX will be providing any livestream today, but the Everyday Astronaut will have coverage. The exact T-O time has not been published. Tim states on his YouTube channel that he won't be going live until SpaceX starts fueling the Starhopper.

The experimental permit issued by the FAA specifies that once beginning propellant loading, SpaceX must have established a safety clear zone radius of 2270 meters (about 1.4 miles) from the launch point. It also appears the FAA has scaled back slightly SpaceX's initial planned altitude of 650 ft above ground level, to just under a 500 ft max. From the permit.
"SpaceX may operate the Starship Hopper vehicle for one flight, without further FAA authorization, to a nominal altitude of 150 meters AGL or less, with a maximum propellant load of 30 metric tons at liftoff, in accordance with its application."

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
Getting into mid afternoon, Boca Chica time. I suppose that the hop could occur very late in the day but assume SpaceX wants to do it in decent daylight for visual/video monitoring.
the notices that were shown above say sometime around 4:00-4:15pm local time to be out of the homes . About 90 minutes from now.

UPDATE: Elon on twitter now indicates 5pm local time for the launch. Restart the 90 minute timer from now..haha.

Last edited:
Or clock for clock's sake. Anyone else see it jumping forward and backwards?

7 hours isn't (technically) today. Plus it's not like they need the densest propellant.
Of course, if they need to change the spark plugs on the torch, then they'll drain, service and refill which will take a while.

Or clock for clock's sake. Anyone else see it jumping forward and backwards?

7 hours isn't (technically) today. Plus it's not like they need the densest propellant.
Of course, if they need to change the spark plugs on the torch, then they'll drain, service and refill which will take a while.
Agree. The clock looks messed up and might be just arbitrarily running off time. I also think the Notam only gives SpaceX until midnight to launch. With SpaceX still providing their livestream I think it's worth staying tuned in.
Spoke too soon. Standing down for today, NET tomorrow.

Reactions: mongo