Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building the Full Metal Starship testbed: Starhopper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, the crew at Boca Chica is working late!

I’m wondering how functional those landing legs will be. I assume they aren’t the final design but they have some shock absorbing capability, some flex in them.

Do you think the fuel tanks inside that hopper will be carbon fiber?

Someone said that the one with legs is sitting on concrete. So that might not actually be the base of the "Starhopper." I'm sure it's the right shape and design. Maybe they'll use it to build the flying frame on top of it. The tanks will no longer be carbon fiber. It sounds like SpaceX is dropping the whole carbon fiber angle for all of Starship/Falcon Super Heavy. But it seems Elon and SpaceX could change their mind again at any moment.... :)

Actual Starship's dry mass is ~100 metric tones, and Starhopper's mass is nearly the same. A steel structure of that weight needs good scaffolding, which then need to be anchored to a reinforced concrete foundation. In this case the scaffolding and the foundation is the same thing. When steel construction is ready they lift the ship and install rest of the landing gear.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Shiny;
1535943.jpg

index.php

index.php

Image (c) bocachicagal & co. NSF

Why do they make mockups?

From a more general perspective, mockups serve pretty self-evident purposes. That's not a slight on your question, BTW, its a "don't overthink it" kind of thing; you no doubt use mockups in your daily life. It really isn't rocket science.

Operations like handling and logistics benefit bigly from mockups. You can make sure your lifting fixture or your truck or the roads you're driving down are all going to work when it comes time to do the thing for real. You can do process verifications to make sure you have right right tools and access--it sounds dumb, but imagine if the person-lifts in the images [in this thread] weren't tall enough to do the job? Or if they were too heavy and sunk into the ground?

You can do fit-checks and operational checks with flight or flight-like gizmos and gadgets, so you can test out subsystems and partial systems in a more flight representative environment. Sometimes, depending on the fidelity of the mockup, you can do structural and even thermal tests to validate or at least semi-validate your thing.

Mockups basically come down to risk reduction--specifically, identifying and resolving high-risk items off of the critical path. You spend a little money up front but you save the otherwise potential (= inevitable) time, money, and schedule impacts down the road.

Fun, somewhat in context story: One time we had to let air out of the tires on a spacecraft shipping container just to get it through the door of a new-to-us facility...

Wow, looks like the engines are in place! But where are the fuel tanks? Not installed yet?

The legs look fixed in place with no shock absorbtion capability. While I am confident that this “test hopper” will only making low altitude vertical flights and the landings will be - hopefully - precisely controlled low speed events, it seems like some flexibility in the legs would be desirable.

And why is the bottom section apparently made of a different material than the shinier upper sections?

Reactions: Grendal
And why is the bottom section apparently made of a different material than the shinier upper sections?

$0.02
Shiny is accurate but overkill on this hopper, and shiny will never go on first stage. First stage vs second stage have different requirements. Second stage has much higher reentry velocity. So they are using the design intent materials even though the second stage is only acting as a nose for the initial hops.

Reactions: RabidYak and bxr140
$0.02 more

The legs look fixed in place with no shock absorbtion capability. While I am confident that this “test hopper” will only making low altitude vertical flights and the landings will be - hopefully - precisely controlled low speed events, it seems like some flexibility in the legs would be desirable.

Thoughts:
  • With the real rocket, the fins are the legs and are not compliant. So SpaceX is designing to that reality.
  • For the mass involved, compressible legs may be a negative/ useless due to the spring coefficient needed and consequences of an off center landing (one leg compresses and rocket tips).
  • The springiness would also impact the take off dynamics whereas everything to this point have been a solid launcher base.
  • They need the legs rigid for hold down testing.
  • Falcon 9s have had soft landings so they are getting confident in the landing forces.
  • They can add shock absorbing, replaceable, landing pads to the legs for initial testing.
Version 2 of the test vehicle will need to have actuated fin legs.

With the real rocket, the fins are the legs and are not compliant. So SpaceX is designing to that reality.
Thanks for reminding me of that fact, I had forgotten. I still wonder if the Starship fins might have small compressible “landing pads” on the fin tips. Though watching the FH twin booster landing video over and over again I remain amazed at how gently those boosters touched down. It is as if the video is running in slow motion at that point; but it’s not!

Reactions: Grendal and mongo
I'm not sure exactly what this thing is. It looks like it's being built out of steel plate in the same fast and simple way that any steel fabricator will weld together a large steel tank. It's certainly not being built to any aerospace standard.

I guess it might be a grasshopper? But I would have assumed that a grasshopper required more precision in weight distribution and such so that it can simulate the real thing. Maybe they're going to load the interior with a bunch of dead weights to correct the weight and center of gravity?

Weird

I'm not sure exactly what this thing is. It looks like it's being built out of steel plate in the same fast and simple way that any steel fabricator will weld together a large steel tank. It's certainly not being built to any aerospace standard.

I guess it might be a grasshopper? But I would have assumed that a grasshopper required more precision in weight distribution and such so that it can simulate the real thing. Maybe they're going to load the interior with a bunch of dead weights to correct the weight and center of gravity?
Yes, it’s obviously not being built to get to orbit. It is being constructed for the same purpose that the Falcon 9 “grasshopper” was built. See SpaceX's Grasshopper: Reusable Rocket Prototype and Grasshopper (rocket) - Wikipedia

We can’t see inside the hull to know what is in there, but given SpaceX’s extensive and successful experience with the F9 I’m confident that the company’s actual rocket scientists know what they are doing in regards to building this Starship “hopper”. Remember, the Raptor is a new engine design for SpaceX and the testing program needs to proceed incrementally. Just because it’s been fired on a test stand firmly attached to Earth doesn’t mean that it is time to trust the engines to take a vehicle to orbit. And since the FSH and Starship are intended to be fully reusable, the Raptor better be fully tested before an orbital launch; SpaceX wants the first FSH/Starship to make it back to Earth intact!

Starhopper has three Raptors already installed. Elon just mentioned that the new design for Raptor is headed to McGregor for testing. So I'm wondering what these Raptors are? Three of the last generation of Raptor? Elon said he'd give a presentation on the new Starship in March/April after Starhopper has launched. So SpaceX is testing Starhopper with the old un-radically designed Raptors? Hmm.....