Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Built in Austin? Look for the "A" in VIN digit 11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone just shared a link, which should make all you guys feel more confident about exactly when Austin will actually start shipping customer vehicles:

Gigafactory-Berlin-delivery-day-Tesla-Model-Y-event.jpg

IMO its now safe to stop guessing.. especially listening to Youtubers or people tweet when they believe Austin will start shipping customer cars. As it now seems Tesla has no problem telling people first hand when they can expect Berlin-produced Model Y's to happen. I imagine there is no reason to expect they wouldn't do exactly the same when Austin is finally ready to deliver customer-built Model Y's.

Since it was predicted to happen this quarter.. my guess is Austin will be delivering customer cars by the end of the month. Or around April 7th as the latest. After all that is the day when Austin is supposed is hold its grand opening event according to Elon.

Reactions: DrGriz
Someone just shared a link, which should make all you guys feel more confident about exactly when Austin will actually start shipping customer vehicles:

IMO its now safe to stop guessing.. especially listening to Youtubers or people tweet when they believe Austin will start shipping customer cars. As it now seems Tesla has no problem telling people first hand when they can expect Berlin-produced Model Y's to happen. I imagine there is no reason to expect they wouldn't do exactly the same when Austin is finally ready to deliver customer-built Model Y's.

Since it was predicted to happen this quarter.. my guess is Austin will be delivering customer cars by the end of the month. Or around April 7th as the latest. After all that is the day when Austin is supposed is hold its grand opening event according to Elon.
I'm going to take a stab at this:

Austin will start delivering when they get EPA and NHTSA certification, which will depend on the testing for their NEW structural battery configuration. The government agencies will do this in their own sweet time and don't give a flying hoot about quarterly results or Elan's hopes and wishes.

Structural batteries? That sounds safe...

I'm not saying it isn't, but I suspect that they will want to make especially sure.

Austin will start delivering when they get EPA and NHTSA certification, which will depend on the testing for their NEW structural battery configuration. The government agencies will do this in their own sweet time and don't give a flying hoot about quarterly results or Elan's hopes and wishes.

I'm not saying it isn't, but I suspect that they will want to make especially sure.
Do you think Tesla or any other car makers sends their new setup/structure for testing/certification without testing internally first? Have you heard any US, Japan, Korean, European car maker/model failed to acquire the certification?

Reactions: KJD

Never thought about that. The Austin-built Model Y should basically be a new version of the car and will have to go through all sorts of government retesting. It's certainly not as easy as a new factory.. another plant.. another delivery!

You’re trying to have it both ways here. This German event is the celebration at the factory. If that is the first shipment day and you’re using that as an example of how they will announce Austin shipments? Then it’s April 7. Not in 1st quarter.
Tesla leadership said in last quarterly call they’d ship Q1. So, evidence is mixed bag.

That said, yeah, broadly you would think in next 3-4 weeks either way. But it’s not a huge deal until they are shipping some decent volume.

Do you think Tesla or any other car makers sends their new setup/structure for testing/certification without testing internally first? Have you heard any US, Japan, Korean, European car maker/model failed to acquire the certification?
You have to take into account, the strained relationship of Tesla and the government, take into account the lack of employees across all industries, including testing/certification, and take into account the possibility that there are kinks internally that would need to be tweaked. This is a new process and as such there may be growing pains. Also, We know, Tesla is not like any US, Japanese, Koren or European car makers. But here's hoping it all proceeds rapidly.

No. :)
Oh, and, no.

My point is that they won't sell the cars until they get the certification and that's not up to them.

Reactions: advocate8
You have to take into account, the strained relationship of Tesla and the government, take into account the lack of employees across all industries, including testing/certification, and take into account the possibility that there are kinks internally that would need to be tweaked. This is a new process and as such there may be growing pains. Also, We know, Tesla is not like any US, Japanese, Koren or European car makers. But here's hoping it all proceeds rapidly.
Any strain in relationship with government is something only Elon and some SEC lawyers feel. It won’t be affecting how EPA handles a minor, routine certification.
There’s a silly, conspiracy-minded train of thought among fanboys that Biden could pick up the phone and whisper to EPA to slow it down. It’s just ridiculous - and just not possible — for 47 different reasons.
But we can start with: literally no one cares about this certification except (I bet I can name them all!) us, our equivalents on Reddit and discord, Tesla, Sawyer, the two main drone guys, Ryan Shaw and…yes. The Bearded Tesla Guy..

Any strain in relationship with government is something only Elon and some SEC lawyers feel. It won’t be affecting how EPA handles a minor, routine certification.
There’s a silly, conspiracy-minded train of thought among fanboys that Biden could pick up the phone and whisper to EPA to slow it down. It’s just ridiculous - and just not possible — for 47 different reasons.
But we can start with: literally no one cares about this certification except (I bet I can name them all!) us, our equivalents on Reddit and discord, Tesla, Sawyer, the two main drone guys, Ryan Shaw and…yes. The Bearded Tesla Guy..
No fanboy here. I understand the issues with Tesla, and especially their CEO. I have no inklings of conspiracies to keep Tesla down. Quite the contrary and the reason I mentioned the strained relationship in the first place. You have taken what I wrote and put your own spin on it. The issues I was eluding to are the EPA, on more than one occasion, fined Tesla for violation of multiple rules it has in place and/or non-compliance with others. As such, I am inferring that the EPA will go through any new vehicle process from Tesla with a fine tooth comb. Not saying they wouldn’t do that anyway, but if there is a history of malfeasance, you can be assured their due diligence will be just that more thorough. Which, with that and the other possibilities I mentioned, can push them into 2nd quarter. My initial point.

Reactions: PatentNRG
For what it's worth, here is my take. I am in Virginia (east coast obviously), and my order is for a MYLR placed Nov 30 . My EDD bounced around like everyone else's for a while, but has since settled on April 20 to May 22, and has not moved in two months.

Based on my EDD and Tesla's prediction of first quarter deliveries, I suspect Tesla is planning on shipping me a Texas MY. Having said that, plans are just plans, especially when the government is involved, so anything is possible.

As long as there are no significant deficiencies, I will accept delivery regardless of point of origin.

No fanboy here. I understand the issues with Tesla, and especially their CEO. I have no inklings of conspiracies to keep Tesla down. Quite the contrary and the reason I mentioned the strained relationship in the first place. You have taken what I wrote and put your own spin on it. The issues I was eluding to are the EPA, on more than one occasion, fined Tesla for violation of multiple rules it has in place and/or non-compliance with others. As such, I am inferring that the EPA will go through any new vehicle process from Tesla with a fine tooth comb. Not saying they wouldn’t do that anyway, but if there is a history of malfeasance, you can be assured their due diligence will be just that more thorough. Which, with that and the other possibilities I mentioned, can push them into 2nd quarter. My initial point.
Understand, sorry, there has been a flurry of posts in last couple months suggesting EPA might hold it up due to Biden grudge. It’s natural that I red it the way I did, but regrettable.