Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure hope they don't build it then a few months down the road try to upgrade it with solar panels over head or it will be shut it down for all the new footing to support the frame. I feel solar does pay off in our area still as I filled my garage with panels to offset my power usage. https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/PvhY78145

Solar panels for the entire SuperCharger network is supposed to be lagging the charger installations by around 18 months.

MBCMDR, from what you said earlier, I take it they don't intend to start Centralia until Burlington is done, and that they don't have enough crew to work on both simultaneously? This probably means Centralia won't be done until August, right?
The crew member that talked to me just said that the Centralia site was too start first, as we even see on PAGE 3 DouglaR Permit Post (Thanks DouglasR) as Centralia was 5/16/2013 and Burlington 6/3/2013 but somehow things was not ready in Centralia so they started Burlington here first, by that statement I assume the same company (ADK constrution) and crew is doing both locations. I would assume as soon that Burlington area ready for concrete pour, the digging equipment would move to Centralia I be guessing very soon looking at photos and from what they done. I guess build time 30 days to build any basic site without solar. Still the question the size if the SuperCharging units 120kWh or the earlier version 90kWh units, I would hope the 120kWh units?

I think they are all 120KW units but the initial ones limited the output to 90KW per plugged in vehicle maximum. As I understand it, there is one head that has (12) 10KW chargers in it that are exactly the same ones that are under out back seats. These are all hooked up to control circuitry that connects one of these heads to two connections for cars. The electronics in the Supercharger head then distributes the 120KW across those two spots (A/B), ramping up the KW as the other car ramps down to keep the maximum output to 120KW from the head unit and limiting each individual car to a maximum of 90KW. Once they are proven 120KW to a single car works out ok then the head units will just balance the 120KW maximum output between two spots.

The crew member that talked to me just said that the Centralia site was too start first, as we even see on PAGE 3 DouglaR Permit Post (Thanks DouglasR) as Centralia was 5/16/2013 and Burlington 6/3/2013 but somehow things was not ready in Centralia so they started Burlington here first, by that statement I assume the same company (ADK constrution) and crew is doing both locations. I would assume as soon that Burlington area ready for concrete pour, the digging equipment would move to Centralia I be guessing very soon looking at photos and from what they done. I guess build time 30 days to build any basic site without solar. Still the question the size if the SuperCharging units 120kWh or the earlier version 90kWh units, I would hope the 120kWh units?

Centralia should start around July 1st. ADK is contracted to do all of the inital PNW Superchargers at Woodburn, Centralia and Burlington.

I didn't plan to stop by but last min changed my mind as on I-5 and drive it every day right by it, my free refill station with a "Soda Refill" :biggrin:.. The photo speak for them self..
Burlington_WA_SC06.JPG
Burlington_WA_SC07.JPG
Burlington_WA_SC08.JPG

Last edited:
Well, Puget Sound Energy, for example, is 50% hydro, 32 % coal, and wind is an insignificant amount. So, we are not quite as green as we sometimes think.

This is not completely accurate. If you read the fine print it says "The PSE fuel mix for electricity delivered to customers in 2011 is detailed in the graph below. The pie chart does not include our wind farms' energy because, in 2011, we sold the "renewable energy credits" associated with our facilities' power output. That means we couldn't cite wind power in the latest fuel mix, as published by the state of Washington."
Elsewhere it says that PSE owns 773 MW of wind generation capacity, and a total of 3000MW of generation capacity - but only produces 46% of its own power - purchasing the rest.
So the wind generation is significant, but the accounting trickery is complex.
Electric Supply

Yes, thanks for the new photos. Hey, I'm not in the construction business, but bags of concrete mix and a dinky little portable mixer seem sort of strange. Maybe that is just for some initial fixing, and then the big truck will come.

It's common in construction where you are going to do a big pour of concrete. They mix small batches to hold various parts in place so the pour doesn't knock them over. You can't use stakes so a little concrete does the trick - sort of the hot glue of the construction world. Probably for each SC pylon. On my garage, it was the strip drain in front of the doors.

I hope they will be putting up some sort of shelter for the winter months.

It's common in construction where you are going to do a big pour of concrete. They mix small batches to hold various parts in place so the pour doesn't knock them over. You can't use stakes so a little concrete does the trick - sort of the hot glue of the construction world. Probably for each SC pylon. On my garage, it was the strip drain in front of the doors.

I hope they will be putting up some sort of shelter for the winter months.

PhiBa was 100% correct as they used it to hold the SC Pylons in place for the big pour soon, no over head or at least not yet. Someone said SolarCity even on sites with solar behind 18 months so who knows..

I drove from Quadra Island BC all the way to Shoreline WA on a single charge today and had a few extra miles of range so I stopped by the Burlington install, it's really coming along. I stopped and asked when they figured it would be up and running and I was told it was looking like it would be sometime before July 4th... and that they were ahead of schedule at this point. It's a very convenient location!

I drove from Quadra Island BC all the way to Shoreline WA on a single charge today and had a few extra miles of range so I stopped by the Burlington install, it's really coming along. I stopped and asked when they figured it would be up and running and I was told it was looking like it would be sometime before July 4th... and that they were ahead of schedule at this point. It's a very convenient location!

Do you live in Shoreline? You might be my neighbor!