Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Business owners in US can buy a new Model X for less than a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you explain more please?
I'm not sure what you are asking ...
In Colorado I pay state and county taxes one time when I buy a new car, and then property tax ("ownership tax") each year for the next 9 years on a car. If I remember correctly, CA e.g. has state and local (and perhaps city) taxes on a new car purchase.

So pick the taxes that apply to you and pay, typically by the msrp of the car. The higher the msrp, the higher the taxes.

As a contrived example, say your combined sales taxe(s) are 10%.
If the Model X msrp is 120k, then $12k in sales taxes.
If the Model 3 msrp is 60k, then $6k in sales taxes.
The Model X cost you $6k more is sales taxes.

Say the depreciation is worth 30% based on your marginal rates,
Then the increased sales tax offsets $6000/0.3 = $20,000 of the difference in car price that would otherwise benefit from the accelerated depreciation schedule.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Seriously not worth it. They open your books and they get to see EVERYTHING...not just the part about the car. And they can go back seven years! You keeping all your receipts?

Not sure where you get seven years, GFE. The statutes of limitations for federal income taxes are as follows, all measured from the statutory due date of the returns (April 15) or the date actually filed if after April 15:

The general statute of limitations is three years.

The substantial underreporting of income or overreporting of expense is six years. This is defined to be 20% or more of your income is underreported or 20% of your deductions are overreported.

There is no statute of limitations if fraud or tax evasion is considered. Sorta like first-degree murder.

An amended return any time during the three-year period adds one more calendar year to the SOL.

Moreover, any item that appears on your tax return is subject to verification by audit. Accordingly, if you report something on your tax return that has a source from an earlier tax year, the examiner is well within his rights to look at that earlier year's return to audit that particular item.

I'm not sure what you are asking ...
In Colorado I pay state and county taxes one time when I buy a new car, and then property tax ("ownership tax") each year for the next 9 years on a car. If I remember correctly, CA e.g. has state and local (and perhaps city) taxes on a new car purchase.

So pick the taxes that apply to you and pay, typically by the msrp of the car. The higher the msrp, the higher the taxes.

As a contrived example, say your combined sales taxe(s) are 10%.
If the Model X msrp is 120k, then $12k in sales taxes.
If the Model 3 msrp is 60k, then $6k in sales taxes.
The Model X cost you $6k more is sales taxes.

Say the depreciation is worth 30% based on your marginal rates,
Then the increased sales tax offsets $6000/0.3 = $20,000 of the difference in car price that would otherwise benefit from the accelerated depreciation schedule.

Thanks. Just confused about the property tax part since we do not pay that here...

Reactions: jboy210
Thanks. Just confused about the property tax part since we do not pay that here...

We actually sort of do. We pay a higher registration fee based on the value of the car. In other states the registration fee is fixed, say $20 and they hit you with the property tax.

No matter how you slice it, the government is going to tax you for it.:rolleyes:

Reactions: GayForEllon
Good post, but worth highlighting that the above point will disqualify many people.

Not if you have a home office.

Hence my novel use of the word "many" rather than "all".

But you can't just have a home office where you work on, say, some Fridays -- it has to be a qualifying home office where you really run your business.

This is the best summary of the rule: IRS Commuting Rule: Mileage Rules & Commute Definition

The key part being:

One way to avoid the harsh IRS commuting rule is to have a qualifying home office. In this event, you can deduct the cost of any trips you make from your home office to another business location. The commuting rule doesn’t apply if you work at home because you never commute to work. With a qualifying home office, you’re already at your work.

Your home office will qualify as your principal place of business
 if it is the place where you earn most of your income or perform the administrative or management tasks for your practice. You can increase your deductions for business trips with a qualifying home office.

Example: Kim maintains a home office where she does the administrative work for her business. She also has an outside office where she does her other work. She can deduct all her business trips from her home office. This includes the 20-mile daily trip to her outside office. Thanks to her home office, she can now deduct 100 miles per week as a business trip expense. This was a nondeductible commuting expense before she established her home office.​

Last edited: