Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy a high mileage 2018 100D

Can I high mileage CPO model X be trusted

• Yes

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

i wanted to get your opinion about high mileage Model X purchases.
i recently put down a deposit for a CPO 2018 Model X100 D through the TESLA website. The car fits my family's needs. It has 6 seats (we are a family of 6) , i liked the color and the trim. The issue i have is that the car is being sold with 85K miles on it. I mean it comes with a 1 year , 10K miles limited warranty so I suspect If I have any issues I can get them addressed. I've only put my 500 dollar deposit so far but now I'm having seconds thoughts about the high mileage.

Would you guys move ahead or bail on the purchase?

Thanks

I bought a 2017 X100 in Dec 2017 with 4K miles. I now have 83K on it. I've had a few things done but they were in warranty. (door circuit board, charger door, ...)

With 85K miles on it, one way to look at it is that it has been used enough that most problems may have been found. Maybe optimistic.

85/4 is 21K miles per year which doesn't seem awful if it was used in CA for commutes.

If it were an early 2018, could be as low as 21k miles per year vs 28k miles per year. If you pull the car fax, when does it say it was first registered?

If it were registered late in the year, it was probably a lease return and the owner drove it a lot.

I just purchased a 2019 with low miles. I think a higher mileage car only knocked off 3-5k and I thought it was worth it to pay for the lower mileage one. I was just browsing the used vehicles this week and the pickings are slim.

Are you using Tesla-info and ev-Cpo to price compare with historical prices vs mileage and all that?

If it were an early 2018, could be as low as 21k miles per year vs 28k miles per year. If you pull the car fax, when does it say it was first registered?

If it were registered late in the year, it was probably a lease return and the owner drove it a lot.

I just purchased a 2019 with low miles. I think a higher mileage car only knocked off 3-5k and I thought it was worth it to pay for the lower mileage one. I was just browsing the used vehicles this week and the pickings are slim.

Are you using Tesla-info and ev-Cpo to price compare with historical prices vs mileage and all that?
Yea the pickings are slim. I used Tesla-info and it was competitive in pricing/historical average. I guess I'll see how much wear and tear is present on the car near the time of delivery. Were you surprised by anything when you went to pick up the car?

Yea the pickings are slim. I used Tesla-info and it was competitive in pricing/historical average. I guess I'll see how much wear and tear is present on the car near the time of delivery. Were you surprised by anything when you went to pick up the car?

Picked it up two weeks ago and it ended up being a great buy. Previous (and original) owner took great care of it. Came with brand new 22” wheels and tires too.

Reactions: T4SLA
When you are at the pick up for Tesla , are you able to inspect the vehicle thoroughly ? They don't rush you and try to get you to sign all the paper work?
they won’t let you inspect it until you sign everything. at the marina del Rey pickup center the cars are in the parking lot next to a Tesla office. I think most are like this where the signing area and cars are very close together. The best you could do is go look for your car and do an exterior inspection before meeting with the sales rep. The signing process and car handover is quick, less than 5 minutes. They walk you over to the car and tell you to flag someone down if there’s any problems before leaving. What they really mean is - if you have any questions about how to use the car, then they’ll help. But I think any complaints about not wanting the car are shut down pretty quick with them telling you to schedule a service appt for any issues. Which then leaves you at their mercy. Especially with cosmetic issues.

Just bought a 2019 Long Range Model X with 70k miles. Has treated me well so far. Only has it 2 weeks but I’ve already swapped out the rotors, brake pads, and 12 volt battery as preventative maintenance.
That's great to hear ! I figured with the 1 year 10K warranty I'll find any issues and get them corrected. I like your idea of preventative maintenance. How was the delivery process? Do you make a final payment on the app prior to seeing the car ? Or is it all finalized at the site of delivery with paperwork ?

That's great to hear ! I figured with the 1 year 10K warranty I'll find any issues and get them corrected. I like your idea of preventative maintenance. How was the delivery process? Do you make a final payment on the app prior to seeing the car ? Or is it all finalized at the site of delivery with paperwork ?

everything in the app for me. If you use their financing or your own, you wire or ACH the required amounts before proceeding to the next steps. Not sure how financing from a credit union works if they can only send a cashiers check made to Tesla. I only had to sign a title transfer paper, and click accept in the app which then added the car to my profile.

I've only put my 500 dollar deposit so far but now I'm having seconds thoughts about the high mileage.

Would you guys move ahead or bail on the purchase?
They might not need engine maintenance, but stuff can still go wrong, so do expect to have to shell out for some kinds of repairs moving forward. The middle-row bucket seats' motors tend to die if you use them a lot, for instance, for which they want to replace the whole seat. You'll have some battery degradation over a new one (not to mention no heat pump). But if the price is right, then I don't see any showstoppers. I drive a 2017 X P100D with 110,000 miles on it, although we've had it since new.