Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a model 3 in 2022. Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you need a new car in today's world, I believe you'll agree Tesla's price increases are far more reasonable than the dealership price increases we have been seeing. Gone are the days of walking up to a car dealership and haggling for a good price. Maybe those days will return in 2023 or 2024 but they are for sure gone currently. I believe you are speaking about the SR+ (RWD) Model 3 in your post, but the Model 3 Long Range variant is a much better "deal" now IMO.

It also helps when buying a Tesla to look at total cost of ownership of the vehicle and not just the cost of the car. Since there are no oil changes, any other fluid changes, spark plugs, etc. or having to pay for gas like an ICE car, you may find like many others have the sticker price becomes much more palatable.

The only thing I have done on the first 10k miles on my M3 LR is get a tire rotation and an alignment. I don't expect to have to do anything else until I need new tires. I'll change the cabin air filter every 1-2 years probably. No wasted time, hassle, and money for maintenance. Just drive the car and enjoy!
Vast majority of cars are not being sold at 8k mark ups by dealers. You are misinformed.

Reactions: TomT
If you can afford it and its worth it to you. I think cars are too expensive due to the situation. if you can wait, perhaps wait until cars might come down in price or inflation kicks in and be more expensive. As far as value, they are still pretty good compared to other ICE cars and markups.

Reactions: ahmedshawky82
Hi,

I placed an order for a model 3 January 2022, however I can’t shake the bitterness that just one year ago that same car was $8000 less. Is there a way to justify this apparently bad bargain to myself? And is there corresponding value to that increase?

Thanks.
It also helps when buying a Tesla to look at total cost of ownership of the vehicle and not just the cost of the car.
Here is a good YouTube video on total cost of ownership of a M3 after 4 years and 100,000 miles.

2022 M3 will be A LOT better than a 2017 one from the video, in all aspects. I don't have a M3, but a MY LR, and so far it's a very similar experience - no services needed besides a small tire puncture. I also agree with the video that FSD is not necessary unless you're passionate about beta testing. AP is getting much more robust and will include more FSD features over time, the ones that are reliable.

I totally understand, I often go through the same mental gyrations when buying tech products.

I bought last year so I missed the $7500 fed rebate, but I bought before the last few price hikes so saved a few $Ks - I got a '21 so I got the new double pane glass, revised interior, heat pump, but I also missed the '22 updates with the new MCU and rear double pane glass :D

I guess my point: whenever you buy, your price may better, or worse, you may get X vs. Y equipment, you can't regret something that's already happened or predict something that's yet to occur, you kind of have to just enjoy the moment for what it is, then and there. :D
You are absolutely right. I guess the best time to buy a Tesla is really “whenever” you buy it. Any point in time would be a great opportunity for some and a missed opportunity for someone else.
Can’t wait for my M3 to arrive and to start enjoying it 😁

You are absolutely right. I guess the best time to buy a Tesla is really “whenever” you buy it. Any point in time would be a great opportunity for some and a missed opportunity for someone else.
Can’t wait for my M3 to arrive and to start enjoying it 😁

Yes!

And you're going to love it. After years (*ahem*, decades ...) of owning all sorts of vehicles, including lots of high performance cars, it's such a dramatic change in all the best possible ways, it's like my first car again :D

Unfortunately, it is now significantly more expensive to buy almost any car (including many used cars) than it was a year ago. With new Teslas, the MSRP that is what you pay has gone up, while with other brands sold through dealers, actual new car sale prices swung from large discounts from MSRP to additional dealer markups over MSRP.

Notable changes in the Model 3 RWD / SR+ (that should be in a car delivered a few months from now) since a year ago:
* LFP battery replaces L-NCA battery.
* Lithium 12V battery replaces lead-acid 12V battery.
* AMD Ryzen infotainment processor replaces Intel Atom infotainment processor.
* Radar deleted (ADAS / Autopilot / etc. use cameras only now).
* Some USB-C ports that had data are now power-only.
* Software version.
Thanks for the breakdown of the changes 👍

I am going to need a new car this year, and with now adding in a commute at least twice a week it just flat out makes sense. We were thinking about getting a Nissan Kicks or something like that but then we're looking at a ~$320/mth lease, then with gas pushing $1.6/L we're looking at minimum $350/mth there. So we looked at our current money situation and made the decision to just get a Tesla instead. Sucks that I won't get the Canadian Federal Incentive, but with my delivery not currently scheduled until October there is a chance we see a Provincial Incentive that I could still potentially take advantage of.
Yeah you make a good point on the incentives. I guess my best case scenario would be if parts of the Build Back Better pass that would bring back the $7500 (or more) tax credit and I should be eligible for it having placed the order in 2022. Fingers crossed but not a lot of confidence in the government 😬

Reactions: CheapBastid
If you can afford it and its worth it to you. I think cars are too expensive due to the situation. if you can wait, perhaps wait until cars might come down in price or inflation kicks in and be more expensive. As far as value, they are still pretty good compared to other ICE cars and markups.
Yeah it can go either way, can’t it? Waiting does not guaratnee lower prices and from what I have seen here, does not seem to happen any time soon. It could even go higher with inflation as you mentioned. One silver lining is that if prices do go down before delivery - which I really don’t think will happen - I read somewhere that I can discuss with the delivery advisor and get the lower price!! Could be wrong though

Hi,

I placed an order for a model 3 January 2022, however I can’t shake the bitterness that just one year ago that same car was $8000 less. Is there a way to justify this apparently bad bargain to myself? And is there corresponding value to that increase?

Thanks.

I hear ya. We bought a SRP Model 3 in September for $39,900 and ordered another 45 days ago...although the second one will be a Model 3 Long Range b/c the pricing makes "more sense" to me now.

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 3.04.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Here is a good YouTube video on total cost of ownership of a M3 after 4 years and 100,000 miles.

2022 M3 will be A LOT better than a 2017 one from the video, in all aspects. I don't have a M3, but a MY LR, and so far it's a very similar experience - no services needed besides a small tire puncture. I also agree with the video that FSD is not necessary unless you're passionate about beta testing. AP is getting much more robust and will include more FSD features over time, the ones that are reliable.
Awesome video. Nice to see that real life experience with actual cost 👍

Yes!

And you're going to love it. After years (*ahem*, decades ...) of owning all sorts of vehicles, including lots of high performance cars, it's such a dramatic change in all the best possible ways, it's like my first car again :D
"it's like my first car again" - that's exactly the description i've been looking for. thank you!

i mentioned in other threads that i like my 2021 MY more than all my other previous cars/suvs combine, but that's not quite it. it's more than that. it feels completely new, from the minimalist interior, center control screen, one-pedal driving, peace and quiet (at low speeds lol), home charging, OTA new features, etc. etc. so yeah, it's exactly like my first car again.

but on the negative side, you and i will be called certified fanboys, lol. 😅

Wonder when Model 3 will get a notable refresh. Maybe 2023 or 2024 model Year.
It seems like Tesla has offered a number of improvements over the years either via software updates, or via new design/hardware for the 3. I do think they will be do for a major exterior refresh within the next 2-3 years though. Too much competition coming and the Model 3 and Y will start looking old.

Yeah you make a good point on the incentives. I guess my best case scenario would be if parts of the Build Back Better pass that would bring back the $7500 (or more) tax credit and I should be eligible for it having placed the order in 2022. Fingers crossed but not a lot of confidence in the government 😬

Make a move south here a little bit to NJ and at least you can get the sales tax waiver!

There have been at least 3 effective pricing increases for ICE vehicles recently.
!. The MSRP prices have bumped up.
2. No longer able to pay under sticker. No longer get the $500 over dealer cost offers.
3. For popular models in high demand, the Additional Dealer Markups have gone way up.

4th is that you can not often stop into a dealership and drive your new car home. You need to order it and wait months for it to come in:(