Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Advice: P100D or LR+

Which would you choose?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

.FP.

May 13, 2020
NY
Hi all, I have been doing a good amount of research and should be pulling the trigger within a month.
I am somewhat torn between 2 main Model S options; a 2016 P100D or a demo/new 2020 Long Range Plus. I am not interested in a Model 3 or Y mainly because of looks and single screen.

Budget: <75k
Daily use/range: <10 miles
Occasional use: 40 mile (each way) and 96 mile (each way) trips, a few times a month.
I know about the main differences between the 2 cars I highlighted. I made a little chart of positives each car has over the other, if I missed anything major please let me know.
I know that ultimately we all make our choices and no one is able to choose for you, but I just wanted some real life feedback from those who either went through this recently or currently has one of the 2 cars I'm considering.

P100D:
- Performance
- Sunroof
- FSD (probably wont get FSD in LR+ within my budget)
- Already took a big depreciation hit

Long Range Plus:
- Range
- MCU2 (attainable in P100D with retrofit)
- Sentry/dash cam (attainable in P100D with retrofit)
- AP HW3 (attainable in P100D with retrofit)
- Raven Suspension
- New car
- New battery
- New design front motor
- Fast charging

If you were in my position right now, which way would you go? Am I overlooking anything major?
P.S. I read all the batterygate, chargegate, horror story threads. I haven't seen anything big on the 100 battery cars, but I can see the P100D being susceptible at some point (sooner than the LR+)

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, I have been doing a good amount of research and should be pulling the trigger within a month.
I am somewhat torn between 2 main Model S options; a 2016 P100D or a demo/new 2020 Long Range Plus. I am not interested in a Model 3 or Y mainly because of looks and single screen.

Budget: <75k
Daily use/range: <10 miles
Occasional use: 40 mile (each way) and 96 mile (each way) trips, a few times a month.
I know about the main differences between the 2 cars I highlighted. I made a little chart of positives each car has over the other, if I missed anything major please let me know.
I know that ultimately we all make our choices and no one is able to choose for you, but I just wanted some real life feedback from those who either went through this recently or currently has one of the 2 cars I'm considering.

P100D:
- Performance
- Sunroof
- FSD (probably wont get FSD in LR+ within my budget)
- Already took a big depreciation hit

Long Range Plus:
- Range
- MCU2 (attainable in P100D with retrofit)
- Sentry/dash cam (attainable in P100D with retrofit)
- AP HW3 (attainable in P100D with retrofit)
- Raven Suspension
- New car
- New battery
- New design front motor
- Fast charging

If you were in my position right now, which way would you go? Am I overlooking anything major?
P.S. I read all the batterygate, chargegate, horror story threads. I haven't seen anything big on the 100 battery cars, but I can see the P100D being susceptible at some point (sooner than the LR+)

Thanks in advance.

If you can afford new one go for it.

Since 2019..

It has Raven

Among other thing it has model 3 motor in the front.
It is permanent magnet and more efficient
Also adaptive suspension

These are main reason.

I am in the same situation..

Good luck..

Reactions: SilverGS
Thank you all for the feedback. A few follow up questions. I haven't been able to confirm, but the LR+ (and any non-performance model) does not have launch mode, correct? You're probably right on the day to day opportunities to really make use of the performance difference between the 2 cars.
Am I right to assume that the LR+ will take a bigger depreciation hit than the P100D? I plan on upgrading before the 4yr warranty runs out. Thanks.

Correct on launch mode. Might confirm the older P model has it?

I’m not sure on the depreciation. I believe that would favor the older car, not sure by how much.

you might also contact your insurance company about rate differences.

I am a long-time gearhead who used to modify domestic V8 powered cars.

That said, I would take the LR, it has a ton of power, more than you can use frequently. Opportunities to use the P power will be rare.

I've also had my share of performance cars (from M3's to fully built GTO's) so I'm glad you say the LR+ would be enough power.

Yep! Although, snce I'm buying from Tesla and the P would have under 50k miles, the warranties should be pretty much the same from what I'm reading.
Ok. That does help the older car. But I’d personally go for range. The acceleration isn’t that important to me personally. I while back I may have felt different.

I’m still not sure on your depreciation comparison. That’s a good Q.

I would also go with the new car. I have a P100D but given your choices I would go with the new one.

Ok. That does help the older car. But I’d personally go for range. The acceleration isn’t that important to me personally. I while back I may have felt different.

I’m still not sure on your depreciation comparison. That’s a good Q.

Gotcha, thank you guys.

Finances are my #1 priority (especially when they are going to a depreciating asset), so new is never an option for me. First 2-3 years depreciation has to go to the first buyer, not me.

That's my personal answer for my situation.

Reactions: kpeters000
Finances are my #1 priority (especially when they are going to a depreciating asset), so new is never an option for me. First 2-3 years depreciation has to go to the first buyer, not me.

That's my personal answer for my situation.

Thanks. I've always bought used for this same reason, that's why I mentioned the questions on depreciation.
The main thing I'm struggling with is the fact that there was a major msrp price drop between the 2016 and 2020 cars when new. This makes getting a p100d that's a few years old not feasible. Even though they've dropped 40-50k. They're still on par with brand new ones. And I'm starting to think that if I'm already paying this much money, it might as well be a new car.

Thanks. I've always bought used for this same reason, that's why I mentioned the questions on depreciation.
The main thing I'm struggling with is the fact that there was a major msrp price drop between the 2016 and 2020 cars when new. This makes getting a p100d that's a few years old not feasible. Even though they've dropped 40-50k. They're still on par with brand new ones. And I'm starting to think that if I'm already paying this much money, it might as well be a new car.

Totally understood. But purely financially speaking, Im almost certain that (for example) the depreciation over the next 2-3 years is going to be substantially higher on the brand new one vs the p100D.

On the other side if the coin, if you tend to keep your vehicles for many many years and many many miles (getting your moneys worth), then depreciation really isnt a concern/factor..

Totally understood. But purely financially speaking, Im almost certain that (for example) the depreciation over the next 2-3 years is going to be substantially higher on the brand new one vs the p100D.

On the other side if the coin, if you tend to keep your vehicles for many many years and many many miles (getting your moneys worth), then depreciation really isnt a concern/factor..

Yea possibly. I am just having an internal struggle convincing myself to pay that much for a 4 yr old car with older tech, suspension, parts, etc. when I can get a comparable new one for the same money.

Is there a specific 2016 P100D that you are considering? Have you thought about a slightly newer car like a 2017 100D? That would give you a newer car with more range than the 2016 P100D. No, the acceleration wouldn't be as good but may still be more than adequate for your needs/desires. Just a thought.

Is there a specific 2016 P100D that you are considering? Have you thought about a slightly newer car like a 2017 100D? That would give you a newer car with more range than the 2016 P100D. No, the acceleration wouldn't be as good but may still be more than adequate for your needs/desires. Just a thought.

I did initially consider it a 17 100d, but there isn't a huge difference (tech wise) between 16 p100d and 17 100d except AP2.5 later in the year, but unless I get post March 18, it'd still be MCU1 so I wouldn't be gaining much over the P100D. And for just a bit more money I'd get a lot more range and tech with the brand new long range plus.