Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from New Hampshire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used carrier direct to Nashua, NH in March of 2022, at which time it cost $750.

My "delivery day" in NJ was Saturday, March 19th, 2022. I wired the money to Tesla a few days before my "delivery day" because Plaid was not working with my credit union. The Tesla app showed my account paid in full before bedtime the same day I wired the funds. Note: Wire instructions are at the end of your "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement."

On Friday, March 18th, the day before my official delivery day, Tesla sent me an automated email saying:
Hi _name_redacted_, It's almost delivery day!
Your Model Y will be delivered to _home_address_redacted_ US. You'll be notified when its on the way and again when it arrives.
ts.la/app
Sunday the app was instead saying that I will be informed when it is time to schedule delivery. I texted my SA.

Monday the SA replied the vehicle was safely in NJ awaiting a transporter.

Tuesday morning the driver called and said the car would be delivered in about a half hour. Since I had not received any notification the car had left NJ this was a big surprise. The car arrived, the driver told me he picked it up Monday, said he didn't speak much English, drove it onto my driveway, gave me the packet with two keys, took pictures of the car and left. I drove it up the driveway, looked for any obvious issues, parked it in my garage, attached it to my charger, saw Tesla had Super Charged it to 100%, and adjusted my charge limit to around 80%. Then I got on the phone, because I had previously been told temporary NJ plates would come with the car and I didn't find them. After being passed around, the third person I talked to told me he would talk to so and so, who probably didn't realize... Bottom line he told they would send me the temporary plate.

Wednesday around 5:30pm UPS delivered the envelope with the cardboard temporary NJ plate, and I could FINALLY drive my new vehicle on public streets. (Unless this previous post is correct that it would have been considered an unregistered vehicle. I have not discussed the matter with any troupers.)

The following Wednesday another packet arrived containing the documents needed to register the vehicle with the state of NH.

Hope this information helps. Obviously your experience may be different. I am definitely looking forward to having a NH service/sales center.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and JATinNH
The following Wednesday another packet arrived containing the documents needed to register the vehicle with the state of NH.
Per a previous post (and NH DMV website) only the Bill Of Sale is needed to obtain temp NH tags. Was curious, since you paid the previous week prior to delivery, was this document not available to you online before the car arrived?

It's a pity my stupid state of MA has businesses that lose out on vehicle sales because the state insists on playing hardball with taxes, refusing to do what is common in vehicle sales - allowing the collection of sales tax solely by the state in which the car is being registered.

I know that this has been discussed over and over. Still, when I look at what people have to do in surrounding states as a result, it's sad. One would think that the Commonwealth of MA, in order to further the goals of reducing CO2 emissions, would want to see EV sales increase in nearly any way possible, as well as minimizing any unnecessary transport of the same (ex: buying a car in NJ then driving/transporting to Bangor), but of course, no.

As a MA resident, I apologize.

Per a previous post (and NH DMV website) only the Bill Of Sale is needed to obtain temp NH tags. Was curious, since you paid the previous week prior to delivery, was this document not available to you online before the car arrived?
I do not know if an acceptable Bill Of Sale was available online. I expected/had what I believed to be valid temporary tags, and I knew the full registration packet was coming. So I had no reason to investigate temporary NH tags, or the documentation temporary tags would require.

It's a pity my stupid state of MA has businesses that lose out on vehicle sales because the state insists on playing hardball with taxes, refusing to do what is common in vehicle sales - allowing the collection of sales tax solely by the state in which the car is being registered.

I know that this has been discussed over and over. Still, when I look at what people have to do in surrounding states as a result, it's sad. One would think that the Commonwealth of MA, in order to further the goals of reducing CO2 emissions, would want to see EV sales increase in nearly any way possible, as well as minimizing any unnecessary transport of the same (ex: buying a car in NJ then driving/transporting to Bangor), but of course, no.

As a MA resident, I apologize.
I'm surprised that the MA dealers association hasn't tried to do something about this. NH dealers can compete against MA dealers for MA customers but MA dealers can't compete against NH dealers for NH customers.

I'm surprised that the MA dealers association hasn't tried to do something about this. NH dealers can compete against MA dealers for MA customers but MA dealers can't compete against NH dealers for NH customers.
MA dealers sell to NH residents all the time. The dealer drives the car across the state line into NH, then takes a picture to document that they are "delivering" the vehicle outside of MA before completing the sale. No MA sales tax is due on sales where the purchaser accepts title to and possession of an item outside of Massachusetts.

MA dealers sell to NH residents all the time. The dealer drives the car across the state line into NH, then takes a picture to document that they are "delivering" the vehicle outside of MA before completing the sale. No MA sales tax is due on sales where the purchaser accepts title to and possession of an item outside of Massachusetts.
How is that different than Tesla shipping the car. Why do they have to ship it from NJ instead of MA?

... No MA sales tax is due on sales where the purchaser accepts title to and possession of an item outside of Massachusetts.

How is that different than Tesla shipping the car. Why do they have to ship it from NJ instead of MA?

Probably decided by a Tesla Lawyer. My wild guess is that "accepts title to" might be the sticking point. With carrier direct, legally Tesla makes you pay and accept all their documents before they provide what is now "your car" to a third party shipper. I was specifically told the third party shipper carries insurance, but I would own the car before Tesla released the car to the carrier direct shipper.

Imagine if the State of Massachusetts won a court case saying sales tax was due because all the non-resident buyers "accepted title" before the cars left MA. According to the MA website the BUYER PAYS. So legally Tesla might or might not be directly on the hook to MA, but all those non-resident Tesla buyers would be pissed. Each buyer might arguably have a case against Tesla. It would also generate some really bad publicity for Tesla.

In contrast, NJ explicitly exempts all EV sales from sales tax. Here is the link NJ Division of Taxation - Sales Tax Exemption - Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV)
So there is no legal ambiguity from Tesla's perspective.

There may have been other calculations that also went into the decision. For example Paramus may have been the "best choice" because it had spare capacity when Tesla established carrier direct. Perhaps some Paramus sales guy had a friend who hauled cars and carrier direct started as a one-off. I should note that carrier direct is a "New England" thing, NOT a national Tesla service.

Reactions: kayak1 and Farmer
I placed an order on the 15th, sales guy told me delivery would be free as I'm within 200 miles of a delivery center. Just received my VIN today and the options are now pickup in NJ or pay $750 for delivery. They won't budge on the delivery fee even though I have it in email from the sales person. Reasoning is that even though MA and NY are within 200 miles, they can't deliver to NH from those locations and NJ is outside the 200 mile range. Have to decide now whether I want to take the risk of having a vehicle with issues delivered or do the 5 hour drive.

I placed an order on the 15th, sales guy told me delivery would be free as I'm within 200 miles of a delivery center. Just received my VIN today and the options are now pickup in NJ or pay $750 for delivery. They won't budge on the delivery fee even though I have it in email from the sales person. Reasoning is that even though MA and NY are within 200 miles, they can't deliver to NH from those locations and NJ is outside the 200 mile range. Have to decide now whether I want to take the risk of having a vehicle with issues delivered or do the 5 hour drive.
We placed an order on 16th, Blue/Black no vin yet. Could you tell me your configuration and timelines just to track ours, just an assumption though.

Just up the road from Tesla Paramus in 2019 was an Enterprise rent a car. Tesla set up a one way rental for me. I returned the car to Enterprise and they gave me a ride to Tesla. A rental and a Saturday pick up might make a decent road trip for you. Check to see if Enterprise is still there. I drought Tesla still offer a rental. I think it was and above and beyond delivery effort at the end of the 3rd quarter in 2019.

We placed an order on 16th, Blue/Black no vin yet. Could you tell me your configuration and timelines just to track ours, just an assumption though.
OOD: 1/15 Noon
First EDD update was: 2/9 - 3/16
Second EDD update was: 2/14 - 3/14
VIN issued today 2/1 along with EDD change to 2/15 - 2/24, however, it lets me schedule a pick up date in NJ on either 2/13 or 2/14 right now.

MYLR White Ext\Black Int, 20", everything else stock

Edit: VIN shows the car was built in Fremont

Last edited:
Just up the road from Tesla Paramus in 2019 was an Enterprise rent a car. Tesla set up a one way rental for me. I returned the car to Enterprise and they gave me a ride to Tesla. A rental and a Saturday pick up might make a decent road trip for you. Check to see if Enterprise is still there. I drought Tesla still offer a rental. I think it was and above and beyond delivery effort at the end of the 3rd quarter in 2019.
Tesla provided me an Enterprise rental in July of 2020 to pick up our Model Y. I enjoyed the mini road trip.

Not intending to go off topic but could someone give me a quick sense of EV life in NH? Rebates/registration/taxes?/other fees/clubs? Looks like I’ll probably have Eversource as my provider up in Franconia. Just got back to NY from looking at a house up there. It was awesome. I’ll be bringing my 3 and Y up. :)

Thank you!

Reactions: Farmer
Not intending to go off topic but could someone give me a quick sense of EV life in NH? Rebates/registration/taxes?/other fees/clubs? Looks like I’ll probably have Eversource as my provider up in Franconia. Just got back to NY from looking at a house up there. It was awesome. I’ll be bringing my 3 and Y up. :)

Thank you!

As far as I'm aware, New Hampshire Electric Co-op (NHEC) offers the only rebates, and you need to be a customer. Since you mentioned Eversource, I think you're out of luck there. I've had a model 3 since 2019 and have the Y on order, registration for the 3 cost me $570 this past year if that helps at all. While I haven't looked for any clubs, I've seen mention of a few meetups, but you'd probably have more luck finding a club in MA.

I'm not sure what NY electric rates are, but NH has some of the highest, and because who doesn't like to add an additional layer of complexity to their utilities, you can also choose an alternative supplier to your utility company. There's an official site where you can view details here: Compare Residential Suppliers

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
I have had a model 3 LR Dual motor since 9/2019 and live in near Hillsboro, NH. My insurance is with State Farm and is pretty affordable and pretty close to my wife's new Honda CRV in cost. I have Eversource as an electric provider but I have no idea what power costs. I have been running a surplus in solar generated power for at least 10 years. The meter fee is less than $14 a month.
There is good coverage up I93 for supercharges. The only real hole is the Keene area and north of the notches.
Hopefully you have a garage to put them in. They are happier if the batteries stay somewhat warm. Very happy with mine and have 76,000 miles on it.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
I'm not sure what NY electric rates are, but NH has some of the highest, and because who doesn't like to add an additional layer of complexity to their utilities, you can also choose an alternative supplier to your utility company. There's an official site where you can view details here: Compare Residential Suppliers
IMHO, this is the worst possible time of year to sign up for a third party supply contract, especially one with a with an ETF.

The fact that natural gas prices are already falling from their anomalous high prices only makes the decision worse.

Reactions: kayak1
IMHO, this is the worst possible time of year to sign up for a third party supply contract, especially one with a with an ETF.

The fact that natural gas prices are already falling from their anomalous high prices only makes the decision worse.

Staying with Eversource means 20.2 cents per kWh until August when the next price adjustment happens. You could either sign up for a cheaper 6 month contract with one of the other suppliers or sign up for a longer one that does not have an ETF, then reassess when the next price update happens if it still makes sense. Prices are dropping though as you mentioned, just that Eversource won't drop their price until August at the earliest.