Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from New Hampshire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Just a heads up: I just registered my new Model Y (lr awd) here in Merrimack. The state MSRP database had the vehicle in with MSRP of $81000. Clearly that’s wrong.

As that official “price” sets the local registration fee for the life of the vehicle it’s nice to get it right. I did not manage to talk them down to the $54990 that is my “federal ‘IRA’ MSRP” ,but the town clerk did manually change the value to be $57000 as per my window sticker.

So— note to all NH people - bring all your documentation and check the paperwork before signing.

Hi. Just a heads up: I just registered my new Model Y (lr awd) here in Merrimack. The state MSRP database had the vehicle in with MSRP of $81000. Clearly that’s wrong.

As that official “price” sets the local registration fee for the life of the vehicle it’s nice to get it right. I did not manage to talk them down to the $54990 that is my “federal ‘IRA’ MSRP” ,but the town clerk did manually change the value to be $57000 as per my window sticker.

So— note to all NH people - bring all your documentation and check the paperwork before signing.

Thanks for posting this. I’m still waiting on my VIN and delivery, but I’ll definitely check how the state applies that when I go to register.

Reactions: kayak1

Much appreciated! Thank-you for posting.

Reactions: kayak1
I used carrier direct to Nashua, NH in March of 2022, at which time it cost $750.

My "delivery day" in NJ was Saturday, March 19th, 2022. I wired the money to Tesla a few days before my "delivery day" because Plaid was not working with my credit union. The Tesla app showed my account paid in full before bedtime the same day I wired the funds. Note: Wire instructions are at the end of your "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement."

On Friday, March 18th, the day before my official delivery day, Tesla sent me an automated email saying:

Sunday the app was instead saying that I will be informed when it is time to schedule delivery. I texted my SA.

Monday the SA replied the vehicle was safely in NJ awaiting a transporter.

Tuesday morning the driver called and said the car would be delivered in about a half hour. Since I had not received any notification the car had left NJ this was a big surprise. The car arrived, the driver told me he picked it up Monday, said he didn't speak much English, drove it onto my driveway, gave me the packet with two keys, took pictures of the car and left. I drove it up the driveway, looked for any obvious issues, parked it in my garage, attached it to my charger, saw Tesla had Super Charged it to 100%, and adjusted my charge limit to around 80%. Then I got on the phone, because I had previously been told temporary NJ plates would come with the car and I didn't find them. After being passed around, the third person I talked to told me he would talk to so and so, who probably didn't realize... Bottom line he told they would send me the temporary plate.

Wednesday around 5:30pm UPS delivered the envelope with the cardboard temporary NJ plate, and I could FINALLY drive my new vehicle on public streets. (Unless this previous post is correct that it would have been considered an unregistered vehicle. I have not discussed the matter with any troupers.)

The following Wednesday another packet arrived containing the documents needed to register the vehicle with the state of NH.

Hope this information helps. Obviously your experience may be different. I am definitely looking forward to having a NH service/sales center.
They do not do this anymore. I had to dummy up a BOS and got to Newport to get an NH Temp. You could do this if your car was delivered from out of state. I love the Mocel x, but Tesla's delivery process leaves much to be desired. I guess Elon needed all sales prior to Q1's end. I got mine on 3/30/2023.

I'm confused.
They do not do this anymore. I had to dummy up a BOS and got to Newport to get an NH Temp. You could do this if your car was delivered from out of state. I love the Mocel x, but Tesla's delivery process leaves much to be desired. I guess Elon needed all sales prior to Q1's end. I got mine on 3/30/2023.
Which part(s) do they not do anymore @crcusick ? The carrier direct? Shipping temporary plates? Shipping documents for registration? Something else?

I just ordered my MYLR and selling my 2013 MS; glad I found this thread for info. Tesla (via phone in early May) said my options are to pick up the car in Paramus, NJ or $750 delivery so that's the same as info as early this year. Paramus is a 5+ hour drive for me. I'll be curious to find out if Tesla is still offering the Enterprise car rental to get to Paramus. I was planning to rent an Enterprise car myself. Now reading about the potential to be ticketed in NH for an out-of-state temp plate is obviously unappealing. I wonder if that's true for VT as much of my drive will be in VT. Oh, and also NY, CT and MA and what are the laws there? Delivery is sounding pretty good.

Good info on bringing purchase documents to DMV for registering and not getting overcharged based on bogus MSRP.

I just ordered my MYLR and selling my 2013 MS; glad I found this thread for info. Tesla (via phone in early May) said my options are to pick up the car in Paramus, NJ or $750 delivery so that's the same as info as early this year. Paramus is a 5+ hour drive for me. I'll be curious to find out if Tesla is still offering the Enterprise car rental to get to Paramus. I was planning to rent an Enterprise car myself. Now reading about the potential to be ticketed in NH for an out-of-state temp plate is obviously unappealing. I wonder if that's true for VT as much of my drive will be in VT. Oh, and also NY, CT and MA and what are the laws there? Delivery is sounding pretty good.

Good info on bringing purchase documents to DMV for registering and not getting overcharged based on bogus MSRP.
You cannot be ticketed for a valid out of state plate. That would be a violation of interstate commerce laws.

Tesla dragged their feet with my paperwork from Paramus, and I drove around NJ, NY, CT, MA, NH and ME and used up 27 of the 30 days on the tag. No one blinked an eye.

You cannot be ticketed for a valid out of state plate. That would be a violation of interstate commerce laws.

Tesla dragged their feet with my paperwork from Paramus, and I drove around NJ, NY, CT, MA, NH and ME and used up 27 of the 30 days on the tag. No one blinked an eye.
thanks for the info. I'm probably going to change delivery option to pick it up as I'm reading longer delays for delivery to home. plus I want to go through the delivery checklist assuming Paramus is an actual Tesla Store/Service Center

I bought a car online from a Texas car dealership 3 years ago. The car came with a 60 day temporary Texas plate. I drove it for a good 6 weeks before I registered it in NH.

I bought a car online from a Texas car dealership 3 years ago. The car came with a 60 day temporary Texas plate. I drove it for a good 6 weeks before I registered it in NH.
During the last week, I had a local cop slow down and take a good hard look because he couldn't find the inspection sticker on my windshield, I was watching in the rear view as he saw the license plate and moved along.

I was quoted $750 carrier fee. Do you know why you had a $2000 fee? Are you including the destination fee and carrier fee? I'm in NH and have an order in, waiting on VIN and EDD.
Probably related to location. I saw places where the fee is $1000 from Washington State. I think it varies where the inventory is coming from, like from a service center inventory.

Reactions: TheMrBlizzack
Repeat NH plate concerns.... Barring learning something new, it's safe to say there hasn't been a ticket issued to a NH Tesla owner driving with an out of state temp plate. Anyone?
It's been 10 days since I picked up my MYLR in Paramus and I've had no issues driving around NH with the NJ temp plate it came with. The temp plate is good through July 5 and I'm going to wait until the end of June to register it in NH.