Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying now or waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I followed Tesla from before the roadster. When the Model S was announced, I put-up my $5,000 and got in line. When the Model X was announced, I bought stock in the company. I've now owned the MS eight months and it's certainly the finest car I've ever owned or driven, notwithstanding some minor problems that were fixed quickly and at no charge. I think this is the most customer-centric company that I know.

So why the post? I now see that there are a number of options that didn't exist when I ordered the car. In addition, Elon Musk said, today, that Tesla was "stupid" in building cars last year when I was taking delivery. Was my P85 being built when the company was stupid? And what does that mean.

I am actually considering trading for a new one, but hesitant because one month later they may add something that I wish I had. For those, like me, who are in the line for the X, I'm thinking it's smarter to wait six months for when they've added all the bells and whistles. Wonder if anyone else has similar thoughts?

I think that by the time X production starts, Tesla will be a far more mature company. They'll have had experience taking the Model S to full-scale production and fixing the problems along the way, and gotten a better feel for what people want. I think buying an early Model X will be a safer bet than buying an early Model S was. That said, I'm certainly willing to wait a bit (won't be a sig for Model X). Gotta sit in & drive the thing first :)

Russel, I'm in the same predicament as you. I currently still have a lease on my BMW, but was debating whether to sell the lease and buy a base model S or opt for the loaded P85. It's an interesting point you bring up with getting the base or the P85. IMO, if you want a car now and range is not an issue, then the 60 is a great car to get used to. You can always do what twinklejet said...try a loaner and buy the loaner afterwards (definitely higher model than whatever model you have now).

On a side note, what if you have the fully loaded P85+, what loaner would they give you?

I am actually considering trading for a new one, but hesitant because one month later they may add something that I wish I had.

Of course there will be! They're constantly refining the car--no model years. With tech stuff, there's always going to be something new that comes out shortly after you get yours. There really are only a handful of new options--if they're very important to you, go for it...I wouldn't, but that's me. Also, some stuff may be retro-fittable.

I don't get this "stupid" comment from Elon (shrug)--they were smart. :)

I think Elon may be referring to the "stupid" things they had to do to get cars out the door like fly tires in from the Check (sp) republic. Paying air freight on something like tires would likely fall into a stupid category.

This is something I've been wondering about as well. I've got an X reservation, but with the continuing fixes and upgrades to the S, I'm wondering if I'd be better off buying an S next year and waiting a couple of years before considering the X. It looks to me like there's another 6 -12 months of improvements to go in the S before it's really mature, e.g. adaptive cruise control, fixing the 12V system, redesigning the windshield so it doesn't fracture, etc. Even with what Tesla has learned from the S, I'm concerned that it will be a year or so after the X debut before they've really gotten it working correctly. The Falcon Wing doors for example look like a real opportunity for lots of problems at first, and the four wheel drive is another area that seems a bit fraught.

Currently I'm sticking with the X reservation, but watching closely how the first year and a half of S experience goes. IMHO it's mixed so far.

This is something I've been wondering about as well. I've got an X reservation, but with the continuing fixes and upgrades to the S, I'm wondering if I'd be better off buying an S next year and waiting a couple of years before considering the X. It looks to me like there's another 6 -12 months of improvements to go in the S before it's really mature, e.g. adaptive cruise control, fixing the 12V system, redesigning the windshield so it doesn't fracture, etc. Even with what Tesla has learned from the S, I'm concerned that it will be a year or so after the X debut before they've really gotten it working correctly. The Falcon Wing doors for example look like a real opportunity for lots of problems at first, and the four wheel drive is another area that seems a bit fraught.

Currently I'm sticking with the X reservation, but watching closely how the first year and a half of S experience goes. IMHO it's mixed so far.

Hopefully most of the drivetrain items and their fixes will be carried over to the Model X but you are right, buying an early model always carries some more risks. Do you need a 7 passenger AWD car? If the Model S suits your needs, that could work but if you wanted the Model X all along waiting probably the way to go. You could always as Tesla to put your reservation at the end of the production line. That might add a little more gap.

I am actually considering trading for a new one, but hesitant because one month later they may add something that I wish I had. For those, like me, who are in the line for the X, I'm thinking it's smarter to wait six months for when they've added all the bells and whistles. Wonder if anyone else has similar thoughts?

I'd still wait, sure they introduced some nice new options, but honestly, you already have a car that is amazing, and with the new options it will still be quiet spartan option wise. So wait some more, they already leaked that they will bring AWD next year and who knows what other options come with it. Tesla still needs time to catch up on certain items so I'd give them some more, and I think the car will make some jumps forwards option- and interior wise.

I believe Tesla is going to make continuous improvements as they go. It's kind of like Apple. First you get the iPad and it's revolutionary and everyone runs out and buys one... Then they start adding a bunch of new features which makes you want to upgrade. Fortunately, a lot of the improvements on Teslas will be via software updates so we early adopters will probably get many of them. The Hardware will improve over time and then we'll need to "trade-up". :D

I had a reservation for an S, then cancelled it. I'm waiting for either an AWD S or an X. Haven't decided yet. We'll see which comes first...

I could understand why in CO you might want to wait for those.

For me living in Texas that's not a concern, and I couldn't stand not having an S to drive ASAP.

The OP lives in CA, so no need to wait for AWD.

If you worry too much you'll never buy one on fears of the unknown.

Perhaps Tesla should have waited to release the MS until after they had developed parking sensors? :rolleyes:

I don't know about anyone else, but when I moved forward to configure, I knew full well that there would be some features that might become available later that would be missed. And hopefully most of these will be incorporated into Gen. III and when we get a second Tesla, we will enjoy some of them (but only if we choose to pay for them -- frankly, I have no use for parking sensors, adaptive cruise control which I understand is also in development, or AWD). If one waits until the car has "everything," you'll always be waiting. But the nice thing about the MS is that with software updates and the ability to retrofit some changes, the car is constantly evolving. That is unlike any other car I've owned.

I believe Tesla is going to make continuous improvements as they go. It's kind of like Apple. First you get the iPad and it's revolutionary and everyone runs out and buys one... Then they start adding a bunch of new features which makes you want to upgrade. Fortunately, a lot of the improvements on Teslas will be via software updates so we early adopters will probably get many of them. The Hardware will improve over time and then we'll need to "trade-up". :D

The great thing about the Model S is that you do get all of the advantages of software upgrades and features, but you'll also be able to take advantage of new hardware! The 17" Screen and CPU will be field upgradeable so you'll be able to reap the benefits of a faster processor, more GPU RAM, LTE, and who knows what else! Just pop off that old screen and pop in the new one and you're good to go for another 5 years!