Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying or selling a Powerwall 2? A warning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a redemption email yesterday for the Powerwall prize from this latest round of the referral program (for my 4 referrals). But I haven't received any redemption email for the Powerwall from the program ended about a year ago (January 15 2017). The one from a year ago was supposed to be signed by Musk et al. Has anyone heard anything about the year old Powerwall?

My contact at TE said yes, 1099s will be issued for the PW2s awarded in 2018 (that's part of the reason they aren't allowing them to be transferred).

Since 2017 1099s are due to be issued to us by Jan 31st, that will define the tax status of all awards from 2017. Keep in mind that in order to send out 1099s, Tesla would need to request from us a W-9 before the 1099 can be issued.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalLawyer
My contact at TE said yes, 1099s will be issued for the PW2s awarded in 2018 (that's part of the reason they aren't allowing them to be transferred).

Since 2017 1099s are due to be issued to us by Jan 31st, that will define the tax status of all awards from 2017. Keep in mind that in order to send out 1099s, Tesla would need to request from us a W-9 before the 1099 can be issued.

Wait, you got 1099’d on your referral wheels in prior years? Ive never received a 1099 in prior years for any referral awards i received.

Wait, you got 1099’d on your referrals wheels? Ive never received a 1099 in prior years for any referral awards i received.

No, I said that if Tesla is going to 1099 us, they have until Jan 31st to do so. And preceding that, they would need to request W-9s, which they've obviously haven't done (yet). My point is, time is running out for them to get all that done in three weeks before the deadline for sending out 1099s.

Also note that 2017 is the first year anyone received any tangible referral awards (wheels, jackets, bags, mini-teslas, etc). Prior to that the only awards received were the $1000/referral "service/mech" credit from Phase 1 (not taxable), and the few MS/MXs given out as prizes, but they have their own tax consequences. The PW1 awards from Phase 1 were never awarded and essentially disappeared.

Got it. Yeah, I would have expected Tesla to have had us fill out a W9 prior to picking up the wheels so they could 1099 us for them later. Trying to collect that after the fact or simply using the information on file would be wrong since every car purchased has been titled differently on my account.

With Tesla using the term “exclusive” in their wording of the wheels award, my guess they’re going to assign a .01 value to it and let us have them.

No, I said that if Tesla is going to 1099 us, they have until Jan 31st to do so. And preceding that, they would need to request W-9s, which they've obviously haven't done (yet). My point is, time is running out for them to get all that done in three weeks before the deadline for sending out 1099s.

Also note that 2017 is the first year anyone received any tangible referral awards (wheels, jackets, bags, mini-teslas, etc). Prior to that the only awards received were the $1000/referral "service/mech" credit from Phase 1 (not taxable), and the few MS/MXs given out as prizes, but they have their own tax consequences. The PW1 awards from Phase 1 were never awarded and essentially disappeared.

Last edited:
Reactions: MelaniainLA
. Trying to collect that after the fact or simply using the information on file would be wrong since every car purchased has been titled differently on my account.

Whatever is on the titles do not matter. They only need your SSN/EIN (tax ID) to send you a 1099. Your cars could be titled to Mickey Mouse and it wouldn't matter. That's why they send out W-9 requests, to get your SSN/Tax ID so they can send you a proper 1099. They can't send you a 1099 without the proper W-9 backup on file.

Whatever is on the titles do not matter. They only need your SSN/EIN (tax ID) to send you a 1099. Your cars could be titled to Mickey Mouse and it wouldn't matter. That's why they send out W-9 requests, to get your SSN/Tax ID so they can send you a proper 1099. They can't send you a 1099 without the proper W-9 backup on file.

So i can kindly ignore them :)

Like i said, it’s a little too late on their part. We collect W9s before paying our contractors for this very reason. You want your money, fill out the W9 for your 1099.

For the Semi event, they started giving same-week and same-day (to people in Los Angeles) with fewer than 5 referrals.

Tip: the week before a Tesla unveiling, if you have <5 referrals, change your address to a residential address in Hawthorne or Fremont CA

Then they changed the event date and those people were still invited. Residential address didn't matter - 4 referrals on the East Coast and was still invited.

They do realize that many people do not have a house that can support a PW2 install, or are renting, and for these people (or at least for me), they have offered a $5500 "Tesla credit" for each PW2 that can be used for other products (cars, solar roof, etc).

I can confirm this as well for the credit. I also contacted them regarding timing and was told for my area there isn't any founder series being produced/shipped in the area, but the credit can be used for a regular power wall which only has a 1 month backlog (excluding installation time.) I considered doing this for a little but realized that I would be losing out on the included hardware and installation credit.

Since there are several contracts, parties, and agreements involved here, as well as tax issues (they are issuing 1099s for the PW2 awards), they can't just transfer those to someone else's house who is not the award winner.

Any idea if they're going to issue 1099's for the credits?

I just had another chat with TE. They're now telling me that if you won the first "signed" red PW2 in Phase 6, that they are not allowing those to be exchanged for future Tesla credits. The unsigned red PW2s from all subsequent phases are exchangeable. I'm not sure of the exact reasoning, but from what I can tell, they want to see all of these rare/special "signed" versions to be installed and showed off to others. Clearly a marketing/PR objective, which is understandable.

So it appears that I'll be installing that first PW2 when we close on this new house shortly, and using the other two for M3 credits.

I just had another chat with TE. They're now telling me that if you won the first "signed" red PW2 in Phase 6, that they are not allowing those to be exchanged for future Tesla credits. The unsigned red PW2s from all subsequent phases are exchangeable. I'm not sure of the exact reasoning, but from what I can tell, they want to see all of these rare/special "signed" versions to be installed and showed off to others. Clearly a marketing/PR objective, which is understandable.

So it appears that I'll be installing that first PW2 when we close on this new house shortly, and using the other two for M3 credits.

I can confirm we have been offered the credit also. I plan on getting the signed ones installed. For some of the others I will likely take credit and maybe get some solar or a new car...

Thanks Erik

This is interesting as I was also hoping to trade the signed one for credits. Have you (or anyone) heard anything back about the signed one from Phase 6 yet? I won the signed one from Phase 6 and the "regular" founders one from this latest phase, and oddly I've heard nothing about the Phase 6 redemption but got a redemption email on the one from this latest round. I'm afraid they forgot about the Phase 6 award.

Kind of a good thing, in the same boat, need to buy a house now lol.... Any idea when the credits will apply to our accounts?