Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bye bye referrals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this in the loot box…

817A4E91-E17F-4197-B211-A8F9BE5F296E.png

Typical, just after I’ve bought my first Tesla!

I doubt they'll be back. Whats in it for Tesla now? It was designed to reward owners for helping potential buyers but thats been diluted to the point that they're now often just an unsavoury race to push the code onto people. The value has also dropped where once a referral could be worth £4-5k it's now £120 of charging (or £40 if you supercharge rather than charge at home).

However if I was Tesla and I was going to keep it, I'd switch it to say a $100 credit towards your next new car. Those referring only get the value if they go on to buy yet another car... that would encourage the hardcore promoters of the brand to continue which is after all the Tesla marketing department

Reactions: Baluchi
If they did give a small credit to spend on something it panders to the youtubers, inventory aggregators and others that push their codes and who can't use the miles they have, and they're kind of the marketing/promotion team at Tesla. Time will tell.

my referrals expired almost 2 years ago; I ended up with 2 years of free SCing concurrent with a referral bonus; and the bonus just expired and didn't add 'in series' as I had hoped.

as a company gets larger and they think they dont need customers, they act like this. peak tesla (for customers) has passed. here's to the next vendor in line to step up and start that inverted parabola all over again! ;)

Reactions: InternetDude
Absolutely typical that it happens a week after I put the order in with my salary sacrifice fleet company 😂 they passed it onto Tesla last week but they've been too busy to process it... So not got an RN... so now I suppose I'm too late for the bonus!

Interesting wording. Does ‘referral rewards’ mean the original sharer gets nothing but the person ordering via a link does? Maybe vice versa? Or they’ve cut off the rewards for everyone?

I got mine via one of those Youtubers who’s since posted pics of having some 200,000 SUC miles on his account which seems pretty crackers. I did want to support his channel though and it cost me nothing for us to both get something.

Seems like the whole system was in need of an overhaul anyway so hopefully it’ll be back in a fairer evolution.

I got mine via one of those Youtubers who’s since posted pics of having some 200,000 SUC miles on his account which seems pretty crackers.

Considering until mid 2017 all S/Xs came with unlimited Supercharging, and even I managed to get a mini Tesla, set of 22inch wheels+tyres and a PowerWall installed as part of the referral program the existing referral program was already pretty pointless in comparison.

I believe Borjn Tesla currently has x3 Roadster 2.0 'awarded' to him as part of the old referral program, in addition to the P Model S + X he has already taken delivery and sold!

Cannot see Tesla (or any other company) been so generous with referrals ever again.

The original referral program as much as we may want it to have been surely couldn’t of continued long term as it was far too generous.

We’re not talking about the people who have had a handful of referrals being a significant issue here, but when you have people who have 100,000+ miles which are essentially never expiring due to constant new referrals that becomes a big issue on your books.

Being cynical it’s possible given the wording that they’ve done it “temporarily” and only in some regions / countries, it could be to force all those persons to use their miles / expire them (as if no one is adding they don’t reset the expiry date) and then they’ll possibly introduce some region specific program in a few months.

Either way, it was a nice bonus but not the reason I got a Tesla :)

We’re not talking about the people who have had a handful of referrals being a significant issue here, but when you have people who have 100,000+ miles which are essentially never expiring due to constant new referrals that becomes a big issue on your books.
Tesla have limited the expiry date extensions to the last quarter of 2023 so even 5 or 6 referrals would see you maxing out on time. Realistically, anyone with a lot of referral miles are never going to use them all.

The older scheme where they were giving away alloy wheels etc were when people were buying MS and MX. A set of alloys which probably cost £2k against a 75k-140k purchase (thats how much the P100Ds were back then) was not sustainable when the entry price became a M3 SR+ for £40k.