Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My plan is to only put the magnet on when I want to use the HOV lane and leave them in the glove compartment otherwise. The only downside I see is that I have to remember to take them off when I park.

But what are the chances that it's going to be obvious that it's removable AND someone's going to be walking around trying to peel them off? I'd say pretty low and likely worth the risk... (especially if daily HOV access isn't absolutely critical and you can wait for a replacement if stolen)

But what are the chances that it's going to be obvious that it's removable AND someone's going to be walking around trying to peel them off? I'd say pretty low and likely worth the risk... (especially if daily HOV access isn't absolutely critical and you can wait for a replacement if stolen)
Depending on where you park it can be high. People peel off HOV stickers just to be a jerk.

My plan is to only put the magnet on when I want to use the HOV lane and leave them in the glove compartment otherwise. The only downside I see is that I have to remember to take them off when I park.

I have a white exterior and I received my red HOV stickers weeks ago. I do plan to wrap the entire car in Xpel Stealth (matte). However, I refuse to put these horrible looking stickers on the car (before or after the Xpel). So I wanted to do the same thing. In fact I thought of this idea long before I saw this post. Put the HOV stickers on thin magnetic sheet. I'm also planning on dropping the bumpers or inside wheel well plastic and epoxy some neodymium magnets I have to the back side of the bumper. This should allow the stickers to remain on while driving to the plastic bumper. Yet I can remove them after the drive and put them in the glove box afterwards.

• Informative
Reactions: beastmode13

ditto! I rarely see HOV lanes in south san diego county,
plus don’t have a daily commute need, so when needed
I’ll wiper stick ‘em on, not really caring how high they are
to secure enough meal to stick! remainder of time = frunk!

I have a white exterior and I received my red HOV stickers weeks ago. I do plan to wrap the entire car in Xpel Stealth (matte). However, I refuse to put these horrible looking stickers on the car (before or after the Xpel). So I wanted to do the same thing. In fact I thought of this idea long before I saw this post. Put the HOV stickers on thin magnetic sheet. I'm also planning on dropping the bumpers or inside wheel well plastic and epoxy some neodymium magnets I have to the back side of the bumper. This should allow the stickers to remain on while driving to the plastic bumper. Yet I can remove them after the drive and put them in the glove box afterwards.

That seems like a lot of work on installing the magnets inside wheel well. There is a thread here somewhere that someone is making a bunch of re-appliable film for HOV decal. You could peel off and put them on wax paper and store them in the glove box when not using them.

Here is the thread:
CA HOV sticker reapplication and paint protection solution

That seems like a lot of work on installing the magnets inside wheel well. There is a thread here somewhere that someone is making a bunch of re-appliable film for HOV decal. You could peel off and put them on wax paper and store them in the glove box when not using them.

Here is the thread:
CA HOV sticker reapplication and paint protection solution

Thank you @Need - I'm reaching out to him. Hopefully it will stick over Xpel Stealth too.

Is this the reason why there are used model S in inventory from San Diego that don't have hov decals in the pictures? Would you say it's 50/50 for decals? In OC and LA it's probably 100%.

never really added it up that way,
of course my history stems from
high HP bow tie V8 community.

funny how after waiting over 2 years
I never really got excited about 3
until the ride home!

If you're buying from out of state, check Carfax and see if it has ever been registered in California. If it hasn't, then it has definitely never had a CA HOV sticker.
agree, carfax, while still an assumption, was the closest way to validate if a car had a CA HOV sticker... some CA registered vehicles may not have every applied, so it's a shame there's not an easier way to confirm