Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV White sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
another question, how strict do they enforce the # in the sticker? I have another electric car that I only use one of the sticker (it's a fiat, tiny bumper). Can I just use one of the sticker for my future tesla so I don't have to apply a new $30 sticker
Intentionally misrepresenting the validity of the stickers on your car was recently made a misdemeanor. I'm not sure it's worth saving $30 at the risk of being in the criminal justice system.

Automatic license plate readers are becoming increasingly common in california. Even if you don't put the stickers on your car, I would highly recommend having an application associated with your license plate.

No harm except the form requires a license plate number so as long as you can fill that blank in, it's good to be sent in any time!

I sent both of mine in before I rec'd the plates. I waited about two weeks from delivery (tip from my DS), and sent in my forms. The DMV keys in the VIN from the form and the plate number pops up. The actual plate delivery delay is DMV processing time but Tesla actually registers your car shortly after delivery, and a plate is assigned immediately upon receipt. The remaining 4 weeks until we receive the plate is processing admin. In both cases, I rec'd my HOV stickers before the plates arrived. :)

Definitely apply for new stickers per car.
As @chillaban noted, plate readers are far more prevalent than realized.

While I am still waiting for the white HOV sticker, anyone here got a ticket for driving HOV lane while waiting?

So far no cops have yet pulled me over, but I read by searching google that the cameras are there to issue a ticket.

Been there several times, would I get tickets in the following a few weeks?

How has your experience been for those who were in the same situation?
The wording of the law is something like "driving in HOV lane without white sticker displayed." Similar to air quality regulatory language that catches you for not reporting that your factory does not pollute, so non-polluters can get fined anyway.

So what happens if you are visiting from out of state (not CA plates) and you drive in the HOV lane with an EV?

You'll get (or risk getting) a $500 ticket (with $400 tax). The vehicle code specifically exempts single-occupancy vehicles with CA ARB decals displayed. It does not permit arbitrary EV's / PHEV's...

Of course, whether or not you get pulled over is a completely different story in this mysterious state. CHP seems to do most enforcement on Sunday mornings. And if they aren't in a traffic enforcing mood, it seems like nothing that you do can tempt them to pull you over.

EDIT: It may also be worth pointing back to this post from a while ago where I quoted the relevant sections of the CVC: CA HOV White sticker

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ
It helps to write something with my quote...

Mach, are you saying they ignored the plate number on your form and just issued to the assigned plate? So any harm in sending in the form before we get our plates and hope the timing lines up?
I sent in my form before I got my plates (~2 week after delivery). I left the license # field blank and DMV process the form anyway and sent me my stickers a few months later.

another question, how strict do they enforce the # in the sticker? I have another electric car that I only use one of the sticker (it's a fiat, tiny bumper). Can I just use one of the sticker for my future tesla so I don't have to apply a new $30 sticker
Instructions say you are supposed to put all three stickers on your car. There is also a form that has vehicle information and sticker number that you're supposed to keep in the car and show the police office if he/she asks for it.

Carpool sticker theft is real... unless there's a Ford Focus EV.

Attachments

• IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Funny
Reactions: BrokerDon
Instructions say you are supposed to put all three stickers on your car. There is also a form that has vehicle information and sticker number that you're supposed to keep in the car and show the police office if he/she asks for it.

It's also worth mentioning that it is now an actual crime (misdemeanor) to present "counterfeit" decals. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know what counts as counterfeit, but I'm not gonna find out!

There IS a Focus BEV, but I don't know that the car in the photo is that particular model.

Ford Focus Electric - Car and Driver

Actually, they have been making them since 2011, so it could have been the EV version, just debadged

Ford Focus Electric - Wikipedia

Edit: it would have to be a conversion, just spotted the tailpipe. Probably stolen/copied stickers, tho.

Last edited:
CHP was tailing me in the HOV lane a couple of weeks ago. I'm legit, but thinking he was comfirming the sticker was legit. 405S from Torrance to the 22....got the point where I wanted him to pull me over so I could just get on my way without him stalking. Comparatively, the X really does look out of place in that lane, but no quota at my expense that day. :p

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I only put the sticker on the back of my car. Couldn't bring myself to put the other two monstrosities on the sides. No problems so far, but I see so many HOV cheaters every day and zero enforcement, so I can't imagine getting targeted when there are so many legitimate fish to catch.

The actual plate delivery delay is DMV processing time but Tesla actually registers your car shortly after delivery, and a plate is assigned immediately upon receipt. The remaining 4 weeks until we receive the plate is processing admin. In both cases, I rec'd my HOV stickers before the plates arrived. :)

The DMV has actually been very efficient at processing the work. The delay is actually coming from Tesla paying the registration fees and submitting the temporaray registration forms to the DMV along with the payment. You can easily tell where the delay took place by looking at your registration. It shows the date the fees were received by DMV. In my case, my purchase date was 5/5 and DMV did not receive the fees until 5/24 and I just got my plates on 05/30.

I suspect that Tesla's bottleneck is somewhere in Fremont where they collect all sales data and registration forms, then batch process the registrations at specified intervals.... Ive purchased vehicles from Autonation where they have in-house DMV processing, and ive received plates within a week or so from purchase date.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
I suspect that Tesla's bottleneck is somewhere in Fremont where they collect all sales data and registration forms, then batch process the registrations at specified intervals.... Ive purchased vehicles from Autonation where they have in-house DMV processing, and ive received plates within a week or so from purchase date.

Tesla is not a dealer and unable to have in-house DMV processing is my understanding. Nonetheless, in both instances I was able to receive my HOV stickers in advance of plates which would be impossible if my car had not been registered by Tesla prior to my HOV application being processed. And all I really wanted was the HOV stickers anyway, so I am happy. As a fellow Angleno, you probably understand that benefit.

Tesla must be pretty backed up. Picked up my car on 9/26 but took until now to get my plates. Registration says fee received on 11/14! Worse yet I submitted for my carpool tags a month prior and got my application and check sent back to me the same day I received my plates. SMH.