Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera Blinded Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to the service center again. They did nothing again for the fourth time. They said all was fine and it is a firmware issue (per the instructions given to techs by Tesla).

I told them I don’t want to wait another 6 months to get this imaginary vaporware firmware update.

They are finally going to replace the front camera with part INTERIOR CAMERA, IR (LHD) (1588124-90-I). Quoted me almost $400 to do it. They said they may eat the cost. At this point, I will just pay it and take Tesla to small claims.

I went to the service center again. They did nothing again for the fourth time. They said all was fine and it is a firmware issue (per the instructions given to techs by Tesla).

I told them I don’t want to wait another 6 months to get this imaginary vaporware firmware update.

They are finally going to replace the front camera with part INTERIOR CAMERA, IR (LHD) (1588124-90-I). Quoted me almost $400 to do it. They said they may eat the cost. At this point, I will just pay it and take Tesla to small claims.
What's their excuse for charging money for it? That it isn't a warranty repair?

Mine was not done as a warranty repair. I paid nothing but the invoice listed it as good will.
Their excuse is that it is a firmware issue and it is operating as intended. However, I just picked up the car. And yay!!!! I can see the interior in the sentry mode now in a pitch black garage.

Here are before and after photos and what they swapped.

Fight fight fight for yourselves. This is ridiculous that was fighting for 6 months with the M efers.

They did say if the replacement fixes the problem they will refund the money because it will prove it wasn’t a firmware problem.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.png
    IMG_4001.png
    193 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5688.png
    IMG_5688.png
    544.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5689.jpeg
    IMG_5689.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 65
Their excuse is that it is a firmware issue and it is operating as intended. However, I just picked up the car. And yay!!!! I can see the interior in the sentry mode now in a pitch black garage.

Here are before and after photos and what they swapped.

Fight fight fight for yourselves. This is ridiculous that was fighting for 6 months with the M efers.

They did say if the replacement fixes the problem they will refund the money because it will prove it wasn’t a firmware problem.
My experience - At first I reported the night time FSD/autopilot issue and they gave me the firmware BS. Later I put in another request for fixing the night time sentry mode image issue, and they replaced the camera with no question asked. I suspect that the SC people just follow the SOPs without trying to think out of the box (could be a good thing or bad thing).

Good thing you got it fixed and I hope they give your money back as they should.

My experience - At first I reported the night time FSD/autopilot issue and they gave me the firmware BS. Later I put in another request for fixing the night time sentry mode image issue, and they replaced the camera with no question asked. I suspect that the SC people just follow the SOPs without trying to think out of the box (could be a good thing or bad thing).

Good thing you got it fixed and I hope they give your money back as they should.
Yep, they submitted the refund.

You are correct. The best way to get this fixed is to complain about the interior camera not working at night for sentry mode. Don’t mention FSD or autopilot driving.

Reactions: CHILLIBAJJI
Following up, my camera was blinded by bright infrared lights on the side in the sentry view. I noticed it was physically pretty inset/recessed in the housing.

I followed : "Camera - Occupant (Remove and Replace)" (https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-E2662953-7263-4626-848D-425B4B60134B.html) to debug,

and found that the camera was not even properly attached the plastic housing, with it sitting on top of instead of IN the clips, and some of the clips had been broken by Tesla service. Very disappointing the lack of skill or rush job to replace it like this.

Luckily, I was able to reseat it with the remaining not-broken clips and it now sits flush to the housing. Additionally, I was able to use the optional screw attach mechanism to secure the housing where a broken clip was.

The camera now is flush/bulging through the plastic housing, and I no longer suffer from the sentry infrared light leak/blinding issues.

Next time, I'll just ask tesla to send me the part and I'll do it myself. Very frustrated with the service team's lack of attention to detail, or whatever their problem is.
1685950985269.png

Fixed:
1685950965964.jpeg

busted clip/tab:
1685951058123.jpeg

Attachments

• 1685950909451.png
    1685950909451.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Hi All,
I got to learn a lot from this forum. I was having the same problem with my cabin camera in 2023 MYP (Dec 2022 built in Fremont). Just signed up for FSD and it would not let me drive at all during the night. Kept getting the same message "cabin camera blinded/covered". Also, can not see anything in the cabin at the night during sentry mode.
I searched for answers on this forum and came across this thread. I took all the info down and took it to my local Tesla service center. I used the right words and explained them the problems without going too much into solution.
On the first attempt, the technician said they did not find anything wrong and closed the service. They wanted me to wait for a firmware update. I refused to take the car back citing safety reasons. They asked me to turn off the FSD and not to use autopilot until a firmware fix is issued. That's when I told them about this thread and how other drivers in similar situations were able to get the camera replaced and that solved the problem. I gave them example of everysingle user here who had it replaced with part (1588124-90-I). I told them I will pay for it if that's what it will take. They agreed to it. I ended up paying almost $400 to get cabin camera replaced with part 1588124-90-I. I asked them to provide me with my old camera since I paid for it. They give it to me and to my surprise it was exactly the same part that they replaced. My old camera was also 1588124-90-I with IR sensors on it. I guess for some reason they never worked. Maybe along with many others here the entire lot was defective. What's more shocking is how software diagnosis can not pick this up and the service technicians are blinded and want us to accept their logic.

The good news is with the newly replaced cabin camera 1588124-90-I everything is working well. I can see the IR emitters in the dark. I can see the cabin in the sentry mode and FSD had zero warning even when I drove extensively on dark roads without lights. The moral of the story 1588124-90-I will fix the issue even if your car comes installed with the same. Stick to your gut! I am surprised this is not listed as recall and how many thousands of customers are driving around with this defective camera and wouldn't know unless they sign up for FSD. Now I will submit for a refund. Hope they will approve it!

Attachments

• IMG_7239.png
    IMG_7239.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7244.jpeg
    IMG_7244.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7245.jpeg
    IMG_7245.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7251.png
    IMG_7251.png
    544.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7257.jpeg
    IMG_7257.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7264.png
    IMG_7264.png
    589.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7265.png
    IMG_7265.png
    318.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 1.15.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 1.15.03 AM.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 23
Hi All,
I got to learn a lot from this forum. I was having the same problem with my cabin camera in 2023 MYP (Dec 2022 built in Fremont). Just signed up for FSD and it would not let me drive at all during the night. Kept getting the same message "cabin camera blinded/covered". Also, can not see anything in the cabin at the night during sentry mode.
I searched for answers on this forum and came across this thread. I took all the info down and took it to my local Tesla service center. I used the right words and explained them the problems without going too much into solution.
On the first attempt, the technician said they did not find anything wrong and closed the service. They wanted me to wait for a firmware update. I refused to take the car back citing safety reasons. They asked me to turn off the FSD and not to use autopilot until a firmware fix is issued. That's when I told them about this thread and how other drivers in similar situations were able to get the camera replaced and that solved the problem. I gave them example of everysingle user here who had it replaced with part (1588124-90-I). I told them I will pay for it if that's what it will take. They agreed to it. I ended up paying almost $400 to get cabin camera replaced with part 1588124-90-I. I asked them to provide me with my old camera since I paid for it. They give it to me and to my surprise it was exactly the same part that they replaced. My old camera was also 1588124-90-I with IR sensors on it. I guess for some reason they never worked. Maybe along with many others here the entire lot was defective. What's more shocking is how software diagnosis can not pick this up and the service technicians are blinded and want us to accept their logic.

The good news is with the newly replaced cabin camera 1588124-90-I everything is working well. I can see the IR emitters in the dark. I can see the cabin in the sentry mode and FSD had zero warning even when I drove extensively on dark roads without lights. The moral of the story 1588124-90-I will fix the issue even if your car comes installed with the same. Stick to your gut! I am surprised this is not listed as recall and how many thousands of customers are driving around with this defective camera and wouldn't know unless they sign up for FSD. Now I will submit for a refund. Hope they will approve it!
Yup really surprised it didn’t get recalled

If it is the IR sensors that are the issue it should be an easy prove...just get them to get the car in the dark and pull out your cellphone and open up the camera app and look at the cabin camera. If the IR lights are on you will see them clearly on your phone. If you don't see them then the lights aren't on.

Having had the same problem and getting no results from Tesla over a year ago, I found a solution that works flawlessly for me. Just turn the brightness less of your MCU a little at a time until you find the right amount that lets the camera see your face. Didn't take much at all in my 2021 Refresh S and I have not had the error oncer since.

History: My GPS was totally screwed up and they had to replace the entire camera housing as that was apparently the only fix. It was replaced with a NON IR cabin camera and immediately the "blinded error" showed up. I was told the same as you all "wait for a a software update (which would not be almost 2 years later)".

Turned up my screen brightness just a little and have never had the error again.

Having had the same problem and getting no results from Tesla over a year ago, I found a solution that works flawlessly for me. Just turn the brightness less of your MCU a little at a time until you find the right amount that lets the camera see your face. Didn't take much at all in my 2021 Refresh S and I have not had the error oncer since.

History: My GPS was totally screwed up and they had to replace the entire camera housing as that was apparently the only fix. It was replaced with a NON IR cabin camera and immediately the "blinded error" showed up. I was told the same as you all "wait for a a software update (which would not be almost 2 years later)".

Turned up my screen brightness just a little and have never had the error again.
No this is totally an issue with the part have them change the interior camera this should be a recall

This works, but really isn’t ideal to be increasing interior lighting at night. It’s not good for your eyes, is not how the car is designed to work, and most importantly decreases your exterior visibility at night. You should demand that Tesla fix your car properly.

While I waited for Tesla to fix my interior camera I did the same as you, I found the correct lighting from the MCU to make AP not disable. However, I knew that it was just a workaround.

Hi All,

Thank you for posting your experience. I activated the 30-day trial of FSD and ran into this issue with my 2022 MY. What was your process to submit for a refund?