Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin heating to 89F while charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys,

Just got my first EV and noticed the cabin gets quite warm while charging, mind you this is the first time I have charged it and it was at 110V, took 48 hours and the cabin was always warm at 89 degrees sustained while charging, outside temp was at 70 all this was indoors.

Is this normal?

Thanks
JC

Was your HVAC off? Also was it a lower temperature before you started charging and it went up to 89? Charging has nothing to do with cabin temperature unless you are using HVAC to distribute it internally. Was it warm where the car was? When you say indoors, is it your home garage?

The car does not get hot while charging. For the car to have caused such heat it would have to be on fire.

One possibility is that the surfaces and mass of the car were heated outdoors, which then heated the air inside of the car after you left. This would not be unique to Tesla though, if it is possible. Its a relatively small volume of air inside the car.

I know someone who left his house without heat for three days in the winter, and we had a few warm days (60 degrees). He got home and the house was at 75-80 degrees.

Not everyone knows that there are two basic types of heating (convection and radiation), and that the temperature of the air is also different from the temperatures of the objects inside of it. In some rare situations the heat radiation will overpower the convection.

Last edited:
Some warmness in the mid 80's wouldn't surprise me at all if this were higher power charging. I think the onboard chargers are under the back seat of the Model 3, like they are in the Model S, so where that box is doing some high power conversion, it generates some heat inside the car, which comes up through the seats. But that would be more like if you're doing the higher power charging on 240V at 30-48 amps. Using the low power 120V charging shouldn't be generating much heat I wouldn't think.

Want to reopen this topic, there is a lot of nonsense in this thread. It does get hot while charging, so hot that cabin gets
To 96.

Attachments

• C5EA521C-FBAA-45A1-93D1-7B0319EF72E9.jpeg
    C5EA521C-FBAA-45A1-93D1-7B0319EF72E9.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 200
Umm what? The car was about 90 degrees inside. Maybe you don’t know what you are talking about ? This is my third Tesla and not one of them got hot while Home charging.
They are saying that the number being shown on the dash is the exterior temperature (this is the case in my Model 3 also), not the cabin temperature.
GUID-2455CBFD-837B-4D7D-9624-F0ECEF30DEA1-online-en-US.png

4. Estimated outside temperature.
Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla

That means wherever you are parking is that hot (or the sun is heating up the exterior of the car where the sensor may be). To get the cabin temp, you have to see the app, not the dash. Note however, neither of the numbers are necessarily that accurate, especially as an instantaneous measure (there have been reports of the sensors being quite delayed).

Did you actually verify the cabin and exterior temperatures with a separate thermometer? What about the conditions? Is it parked in a conditioned space? a garage? is there any sunlight on the car?

I never personally measured, as even if it reaches 89 degrees, that hardly compares to how hot it gets parked in the sun without charging (I verified with other thermometers it gets up to 150 degrees in the cabin).

Last edited:
They are saying that the number being shown on the dash is the exterior temperature (this is the case in my Model 3 also), not the cabin temperature.

That means wherever you are parking is that hot (or the sun is heating up the exterior of the car where the sensor may be). To get the cabin temp, you have to see the app, not the dash. Note however, neither of the numbers are necessarily that accurate, especially as an instantaneous measure (there have been reports of the sensors being quite delayed).

Did you actually verify the cabin and exterior temperatures with a separate thermometer? What about the conditions? Is it parked in a conditioned space? a garage? is there any sunlight on the car?

I never personally measured, as even if it reaches 89 degrees, that hardly compares to how hot it gets parked in the sun without charging (I verified with other thermometergets up to 150 degrees in the cabin).
I did the ass test. That’s ass in the seat and you start sweating your ass off. You can feel the heat. It’s just something you feel and I wish I had thermometer to measure it.

I never personally measured, as even if it reaches 89 degrees, that hardly compares to how hot it gets parked in the sun without charging (I verified with other thermometers it gets up to 150 degrees in the cabin).
So this was in the garage at night at 10:43 pm. Out of the sun, so when people say it was exterior temperature I just don’t believe it. It was so hot in that car i was worried

I did the ass test. That’s ass in the seat and you start sweating your ass off. You can feel the heat. It’s just something you feel and I wish I had thermometer to measure it.
I don't think that is a useful test. With leather seats, you can sweat just from your own body heat. Also heating up the cabin takes quite a bit of energy, even with warm seats, it will take a while to heat up the cabin (assuming the cabin was cold in first place). You need a thermometer that measures actual air temperature in the cabin. It's the same reason why heated seats are more efficient than using heat (takes much less energy to make the seats warm than the air warm). On that note, you may also want to verify if your heated seats were on (I know in recent updates they introduced an "auto" mode that may turn them on).
So this was in the garage at night at 10:43 pm. Out of the sun, so when people say it was exterior temperature I just don’t believe it. It was so hot in that car i was worried
Without knowing your garage temperature and the car's temperature before you started charging, it's impossible to say if it is from charging or if your garage/car was already hot in the first place. Again, the car's external sensors measured the temperature outside the car to be 89 degrees.

The OP in this thread instead said their garage temperature as 70 degrees.

Reactions: tesluv108