Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin noise comparison: 12/2017 Model S vs 1/2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to get measurements with the service loaner Model S vs my Model 3, for those who care. The Model S had a whopping 108 miles more than my 3 when I turned it back in compared to when I got home.

All measurements taken using "Decibel X" version 6.1.0 on iPhone X running iOS 11.2.5

Moving samples were captured on the same general stretch of road, with the phone directly in front of the steering wheel airbag but not touching.

The idle measurements are taken in my office parking lot with minimal nearby traffic, but not completely silent. I didn't think to capture the S in my garage with the door closed, which would have been ideal.

Model S - December 2017 build, 19" wheels:

0mph, fan off, 30 seconds: avg 49.6dB, max 51.8dB
0mph, fan set to 3, 30 seconds: avg 68.4dB, max 68.6dB

65mph, fan off, on smooth surface, 10 seconds: avg 84.0dB, max 87.4dB

Model 3 - January 2017 build, 18" wheels:

0mph, fan off, 30 seconds: avg 51.2dB, max 52.6dB
0mph, fan set to 3, 30 seconds: avg 56.9dB, 58.5dB

65mph, fan off, on smooth surface, 10 seconds: avg 82.8dB, max 85.0dB

Very interesting! Especially since the majority of comments I have read have suggested that Model 3 was noisier.
I had a brief ride in a Model 3, but never got on a freeway, sop speeds probably never exceeded 45 or 50. My own sense was that Model 3 was fairly quiet, but that was a very subjective observation.

Perhaps the road noise is related to tires. The 19" Continentals are not particularly quiet tires, whereas TireRack says the 18" Michelin Primacys are much quieter. You really need to compare what tires are on the various MS's and what are on the 3's. The OP compared his 18" Michelins to whatever was on his MS loaner.

Whatever currently comes on the base 19 inch wheels for the S. It was only a month and change old so I’m assuming the supplier hasn’t changed since then.