Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac ELR (Converj)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it's still only a hybrid....basically a sexier Volt. I understand why the traditional auto makers are going in that direction but when (real) EV's become more mass market a car that runs 40 miles on batteries is going to look pitiful. I spoke to a number of people this weekend looking at the Model S and it is being viewed as a real alternative to a mid-market family car; sure it's more expensive than most "family cars" but people were seriously talking about being able to charge it for less than the cost of one gallon of gas and how it would be worth the trade off to pay more upfront.

Cadillac-ELR-gauge-cluster-11-1024x640.jpg

New Cadillac ELR Information

The lithium-ion battery pack is refined (read: a bit lighter) versus the Volt's unit, though basically the same, and the ELR has the same 1.4-liter gasoline engine for use as a range-extender, as well. Total electric-only range for the car is estimated at 35 miles (the Volt gets 37); recharging takes about 12 hours on a 120v charger, and about 4.5 hours on a 240v charging station.

Why such a long recharge time for such a short distance battery?

I wonder what the price will be? That dash and center screen is so 10 years ago, compared to the S.

According to this article, the Cadillac ELR will be between $60,000-$70,000. http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-MGH9GQ1A1I4H01-0CRB5GD4HGO2KTSORL6PT0NEDQ

Sorry, but $70k for a car that has only a 35-mile range 16kWh lithium-ion battery (same size as Volt) AND it still uses gas too? ... it'll flop worse than the Volt.

Unfortunately that article also called Tesla an 'unprofitable luxury electric-car start-up' ... :( I guess it's technically true so far, but not long term.

Other articles have hinted at $55K price point in which case this is a slam dunk. The luxury appointments and features go beyond what people expect at that price point, its got great styling AND its electric. Slam dunk. I'll be in line for one at that price. I agree, though, if the price point is materially higher, then value proposition just isn't there. Kudos to Cadillac/GM for the ELR - the Volt was a great car and this takes it a step further.