TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cadillac vs Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ArtC, Apr 29, 2016.

1. ArtC

ArtC Member

VP Biden bet a NY Times reporter that a Cadillac(version with the Corvette engine?) would beat a Tesla. Guess who won? The VP had to pay the reporter $10 for losing. Didn't hear the details, but it was reported while Biden was at the Vatican.

• Funny x 1
  2. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That's hilarious. I'm pleased that at least Biden has heard of Tesla and Elon (he calls a Telsa "the Musk car") even if he doesn't fully understand just how quick a Tesla is. According to that article, a P90D is almost a full second faster 0-60 than a Cadillac CTS with a 640HP supercharged V8.

4. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Ah but the Caddy has a top speed of 200mph. So the Tesla is quicker to accelerate to 60, 100, but the bet was "fastest" so maybe Joe should ask for his money back;)

• Like x 1
  5. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

I accelerate many times on a drive. I travel at 120 mph and higher only in my imagination. When I think of "faster", in my world, that means stomping on the throttle, not top end.
    I also think Charge - is a financial transaction or a legal accusation. Now I have to think of electrical fillup.
    Rate - means speed of electrical fillup , the cost of time, and opinion of value. We do have a bunch of meanings to our words. Could Biden have a different basis than the bet taker??

• Helpful x 1
  6. McRat

McRat Active Member

If your car cuts sixty foots under 1.7s and is RWD, it is most like quicker than 3.0 seconds 0-60mph.

AFAIK, most V8 RWD cars since 1997 are faster than 155.

7. EinSV

EinSV Member

Hmm, now that Biden has been introduced to the "Musk" car, the next step in his technology education should be to an introduction to the "Page/Brin" search engine. Could save him a few bucks on his next bet. ;)

• Funny x 2
  8. Craig9080

Craig9080 Member

It's embarrassing that Biden didn't know about the Tesla or it's performance but somehow knew that Cadillac had crawled out of their 10 year "old-people-mobile" slump. This is why we cant have nice things...err...competent politicians.

9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

At least Joe was a good sport and paid up upon losing his bet... unlike that weasel Bertel Schmitt. :)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  10. amallah

amallah Member

You would think Biden would bet on the car that is wholly assembled in the US..

11. Caligula

Caligula Member

Biden spends his time being chauffeured around in armored Caddys. There is less reason for him to be aware of the MODEL S' performance stats than most of the population.

• Like x 2
  12. TI Sailor

TI Sailor Member

13. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

#13 BluestarE3, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    And then he, as a private citizen, can drop all the F-bombs he wants. Shout it out repeatedly, with gusto and without shame. People will understand. :)

14. kort677

kort677 Active Member

who let the clown out on his own again?

• Dislike x 1
  15. McRat

McRat Active Member

Biden went to suckle on UAW teat not long ago, and told them how much he admired the C7 Z06. I guess his press staff forgot to mention that a typical auto worker cannot afford used C7 Z06, much less a new one ($80-$130k). He probably should have said Stingray which is an attainable goal for most workers at $55,400.

Kind of like going to a BBQ and telling everybody how much you like caviar.

• Funny x 2
  16. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Nice, again to see two American cars going at it for fastest sedan. The Europeans apparently apparently don't even have anything worth the electricity racing!

17. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

I do really, really like the new CT6 front end and interior. Still getting the Tesla to give the finger to Big Oil and the other goodies that come with an EV but there are some nicer cars out there.

• Like x 2
  18. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

#18 Lunarx, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Perhaps Biden was thinking of the Hennessey HPE1000 CTS-V.

2016 Cadillac CTS-V HPE1000 Upgrade

The mere HPE750 does O-60 in 3.2s and has a 3Y Warranty.

2016 Cadillac CTS-V HPE750 Upgrade

No time was listed for the HPE1000, but it would give the P90DL a challenge.
    (30 MPH roll, anyone?)

So a heavy RWD ICE can rival an AWD EV and for roughly the same cost, when equipped to comparable performance levels.

I'm a fan of both cars.
    Drove the stock CTS-V at Cadillacs Performance Driving Event at Circuit of the Americas [COTA] and its an impressive performer.

19. Iowa92x

Iowa92x Member

'but the bet was "fastest"'

The Tesla is fastest to 60. Biden never said max top speed.

20. Caligula

Caligula Member

fast:
    adjective
    1. Moving or capable of moving at high speed.
    Now I'm no linguistics expert, but I think 60 mph being considered "high speed" is somewhat debatable and relativistic.

On the other hand...

quick:
    adjective
    1. Moving fast or doing something in a short time.