Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Carpool Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha, I was doing the same cost/benefit calculation.

What I finally decided was: If I apply in Dec and time it wrong, I'll lose 12 months. However, if I apply in January, and it really takes 4 weeks (IIRC, the last time I applied for my Red stickers it took 2 weeks, but we've got COVID now) then I only lose a month. The potential down side for applying in December is too much, IMO.

Why not apply mid-way through December then or at the very end?

Why not apply mid-way through December then or at the very end?

In my mind, if I apply in mid December (or any time in December), there is a possibility (that gets less and less as you move to 12/31) that my app actually gets processed in December, and I get issued the Orange stickers that expire 12/31/2023.

If I apply in January, there is no possibility that I get the Orange stickers. I can only be issued the (color to be determined) stickers that expire 12/31/2024.

Again, the potential down side (losing a year of carpool access if I get it wrong by applying in Dec) vs. the upside (I get maybe a month extra if I get it right by applying in Dec) makes it an easy choice for me, haha!!

In my mind, if I apply in mid December (or any time in December), there is a possibility (that gets less and less as you move to 12/31) that my app actually gets processed in December, and I get issued the Orange stickers that expire 12/31/2023.

If I apply in January, there is no possibility that I get the Orange stickers. I can only be issued the (color to be determined) stickers that expire 12/31/2024.

Again, the potential down side (losing a year of carpool access if I get it wrong by applying in Dec) vs. the upside (I get maybe a month extra if I get it right by applying in Dec) makes it an easy choice for me, haha!!

But keep in mind, most businesses close down late-Dec thru New Years because of the holidays. I don't think it will be an issue.

Haha, I was doing the same cost/benefit calculation.

What I finally decided was: If I apply in Dec and time it wrong, I'll lose 12 months. However, if I apply in January, and it really takes 4 weeks (IIRC, the last time I applied for my Red stickers it took 2 weeks, but we've got COVID now) then I only lose a month. The potential down side for applying in December is too much, IMO.

That is a good point. No need to take that risk. Jan 1st, 2021 application it is.

Thanks for all the info here as I was trying to figure out if I can wait until next year to apply. After reading this, I decided that I am waiting for 2021 decals

Question: In order to get the 2021 decals should we "apply" or be "issued" in Jan '21. Ca.gov website uses the word "issued" not "applied". Given it takes at least four weeks, it sounds like applying in Dec 1, 2020, will get you 2021 decals issued. I realize I am trying to optimize on the edges so humor me please.

Thoughts, or real life experiences?
I applied for stickers in 2019 on Jan1. It took about 6 weeks to get the stickers. I would imagine that this is the busy time for carpool stickers (everyone doing what we're talking about).

However, I would be very afraid of applying prior to the start of the year because they might give you orange stickers because they got your application in 2020. It's the DMV, folks. If anything can go wrong, it will.

I applied for stickers in 2019 on Jan1. It took about 6 weeks to get the stickers. I would imagine that this is the busy time for carpool stickers (everyone doing what we're talking about).

However, I would be very afraid of applying prior to the start of the year because they might give you orange stickers because they got your application in 2020. It's the DMV, folks. If anything can go wrong, it will.
Same here, I applied January 1, 2019.

Indeed it's not clear what counts, the date you applied, or the date they start processing your application. I wouldn't take the risk.

If you get the stickers now, they’re only good until 12/31/2023. Stickers are only good for four years from when they were valid, not from when you get them. So you’d only get about 3 years, 5 months out the Orange stickers.

If you wait until 01/01/2021, the stickers are good until 12/31/2024. So you’d get about 4 years out of the (unknown color) stickers.
Thanks for all the information and tips on trimming the stickers and using PPF. I guess I’m too “law and order” and I really want my car pool access back ASAP so I’ll just get my stickers as soon as my personal plates get back from “refurbishment” ..... 38 years have taken a toll on my original plates!!
Thanks again!

Is anyone certain that the stickers are based on when you apply and not the model year of your car?

As for placement, I see all kinds of different things. I doubt cops will pull you over because they're in the wrong place or you are missing some. I placed two on our Model 3 -- the two the police would see if they were following you (rear passenger corners)

The "new" instructions are more confusing than the old ones, despite telling you to place them in the same locations. Why does the photo show it on both sides of the front bumper when the text indicates it just goes on the "right" side. Furthermore, using "right" and "left" is inherently confusing when the terms passenger and driver exist.

The "new" instructions are more confusing than the old ones, despite telling you to place them in the same locations. Why does the photo show it on both sides of the front bumper when the text indicates it just goes on the "right" side. Furthermore, using "right" and "left" is inherently confusing when the terms passenger and driver exist.

You are right, it's confusing. :eek:

I am going to confuse CHP if/when I get pulled over for improperly placed decals.

Is anyone certain that the stickers are based on when you apply and not the model year of your car?

As for placement, I see all kinds of different things. I doubt cops will pull you over because they're in the wrong place or you are missing some. I placed two on our Model 3 -- the two the police would see if they were following you (rear passenger corners)

You are right, it's confusing. :eek:

I am going to confuse CHP if/when I get pulled over for improperly placed decals.

To make matters even more confusing, the instructions that come with the stickers and the ones on the website are different. On the website, it has 1 big one on each side of the back bumper and 1 small one on each side of the front. In the paper attachment it has a big/small combo on the front driver side and rear passenger side.

Personally, having a big and little sticker right next to each other didn't look great so I went with the website instructions.

In terms of placement, I agonized over this and tried them high/low/forward/back/etc. Anyway, I thought this looked the best -- lined up with cutlines and panel creases in the rear -- all mirrored on the driver's side....

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Reactions: RoBoRaT and iamnid
To make matters even more confusing, the instructions that come with the stickers and the ones on the website are different. On the website, it has 1 big one on each side of the back bumper and 1 small one on each side of the front. In the paper attachment it has a big/small combo on the front driver side and rear passenger side.

Personally, having a big and little sticker right next to each other didn't look great so I went with the website instructions.

In terms of placement, I agonized over this and tried them high/low/forward/back/etc. Anyway, I thought this looked the best -- lined up with cutlines and panel creases in the rear -- all mirrored on the driver's side....

View attachment 567687

View attachment 567688

View attachment 567689
Looks good and I like the placement. Assuming you used all 4, where is the small one on the back? The instructions are for 3 on the back (large on the side of each bumper, one small on pass. side of rear bumper) and the small front one that you have in your photo.

Model year is irrelevant. ISSUE date is the determinator.

Looks good and I like the placement. Assuming you used all 4, where is the small one on the back? The instructions are for 3 on the back (large on the side of each bumper, one small on pass. side of rear bumper) and the small front one that you have in your photo.

I just did a big one in the back on each side and a little one in front on each side, like the directions on the website. I did not do the small/large combo on the back like in the paper instructions, just didn't like the look. In both cases, they want you to use all 4. Here's the front pic, cheers:

3.jpg

These are the web instructions on the Ca DMV site. If I get pulled over for sticker mis-placement, I'll just point to this...

web instructions.jpg

View attachment 567687

View attachment 567688

View attachment 567689

I refuse to stick the sticker permanently on there, so this is what I have done for my Black Model 3 many moons ago.

62K miles daily on HOV lane later - CHP has not bothered pulling me over.

CA HOV Stickers

I just did a big one in the back on each side and a little one in front on each side, like the directions on the website. I did not do the small/large combo on the back like in the paper instructions, just didn't like the look. In both cases, they want you to use all 4. Here's the front pic, cheers:

View attachment 567698

These are the web instructions on the Ca DMV site. If I get pulled over for sticker mis-placement, I'll just point to this...

View attachment 567700
Yes, if you read the photo that you responded with you will see that it is unclear and, I believe, you did it incorrectly. Although it certainly shows the front bumper with both small stickers, if you read the text it says to put the small one on the right side of both "front and rear" bumpers. The paper instructions show this but the electronic picture that has been posted twice shows them both on the front bumper which is very confusing and contrary to the written instructions. There's only supposed to be one small one on the front bumper.