Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still haven't put mine on yet… I need to find a place where I can buy some of that film people are putting between their car and the stickers. I'm going to just put one of them on the back and hope the CHP isn't in a bad mood that day.

@bareyb, if you are not too far south of mid-Peninsula, would recommend "Vinyl Styles" on Old County Rd in San Carlos. Lyle there took care of a few mods for my car - carbon fiber wrap for the nose, CF decals on the side turn signals and applying the HOV decals atop PPF strips. Many Model S have been through his shop and he does a wonderful job.

@bareyb, if you are not too far south of mid-Peninsula, would recommend "Vinyl Styles" on Old County Rd in San Carlos. Lyle there took care of a few mods for my car - carbon fiber wrap for the nose, CF decals on the side turn signals and applying the HOV decals atop PPF strips. Many Model S have been through his shop and he does a wonderful job.

Thanks for the lead! I am contemplating having some of the silver plastic in the interior wrapped, so that's very helpful.

Does anyone happen to know if it is legal to ride the HOV lane in California with Arizona alt fuel license plates? I'm assuming technically not since you have to pay the $8, but have to ask.

From the California Air Resources Board web site Air Resources Board - Homepage

California law allows single-occupant use of High Occupancy Vehicle (HOVs) lanes by certain qualifying clean alternative fuel vehicles. A list of qualifying vehicles and frequently asked questions are provided below. Use of these lanes with a single occupant requires a Clean Air Vehicle Sticker issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

You are asking the states to give up some of their jurisdiction and power back to the Feds. Not gonna happen, regardless of how logical it is.

I understand that... But if we're dreaming, why not. It took a Federal rider on Federal highway funds to get the drinking age to 21... Then again, we already lost the EV charging station credit at the end of 2014. So, I do doubt our ability to get a Federal law passed on this.

regarding the form for the HOV - anyone fill one out as a business? i want to fill this out correctly and the form asks for a Drivers LIcense or ID card. do i enter MY drivers license here?

i tried calling and have had zero luck getting anyone to tell me

bond

regarding the form for the HOV - anyone fill one out as a business? i want to fill this out correctly and the form asks for a Drivers LIcense or ID card. do i enter MY drivers license here?

i tried calling and have had zero luck getting anyone to tell me

bond
I just looked at the REG 1000 form. In my opinion, if the vehicle is registered to a business, the License field is not applicable. I believe the intent is for them to match the identity of the registered owner and the license or ID number helps them do that.

I just looked at the REG 1000 form. In my opinion, if the vehicle is registered to a business, the License field is not applicable. I believe the intent is for them to match the identity of the registered owner and the license or ID number helps them do that.

thanks! i've removed my DL number and will submit. i'll report back here one way or the other.

cheers

bond

Clever CA Clean Air Vehicle / HOV sticker placement?

Does anyone have a clever way of mounting the California Clean Air Vehicle / HOV lane stickers on their Model S? They are really ugly and I'd like to mount them as unobtrusively as possible. This older thread from Tesla Roadster owners, seems to suggest you only need one sticker and that the placement of other stickers is "suggested." Clean Air Vehicle stickers - Page 18

I'm thinking of just putting one small sticker next to my rear license plate. If that area is good enough for the cops to see my plate, it should be ideal for them to see the sticker?

Maybe I could have a custom plate holder made that would accept the sticker, like these badge holders that attach to plates.
Amazon.com: Outmotoring Double Badge Holder: Automotive
http://www.minimania.com/part/G2NMA4580-P/Gobadge-License-Frame-Dual-Badge-Holder-System
license plate and car badge
smart car License Plate Badge Holder - Single Side Online Store - smart car Parts and Accessories

If you have a cleaver solution for the stickers, I would like to see photos. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

My thread just got moved here from the Model S Exterior forum. I was hoping to create a photo thread of Model S sticker placement. Do we want to turn this into a photo thread?

Last edited:
I moved it here. This is the proper place for regional sticker discussions. We have a number of photos in this thread showing placement of the CA HOV sticker. Having fifty different threads in the Model S main forum for fifty state HOV stickers might get a bit messy :).

From the DMV website.

Scroll down to queestions 23 on placement.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

Yes, this is not a question of where the CA government wants you to put the stickers. The stickers come with the suggested diagram. I'm asking an aesthetic question of where have people actually put the stickers to maximize the styling of the Model S. There is some grey area here and some options for pushing the letter of the law. For example people with high end cars sometimes paint their CA plates to look like vintage black plates. Or in LA they drive around with the dealer plates for years. Is that legal? Not exactly. But its a tradeoff they are willing to live with to achieve their desired aesthetic. Before I go mocking up sticker locations I wanted to see a variety of different examples of where people are putting the stickers. You see this in other photos in the Model S exterior threads. I was just hoping people would contribute all their photos and ideas in one place to help evaluate the visual impact.

Yes, this is not a question of where the CA government wants you to put the stickers. The stickers come with the suggested diagram. I'm asking an aesthetic question of where have people actually put the stickers to maximize the styling of the Model S. There is some grey area here and some options for pushing the letter of the law. For example people with high end cars sometimes paint their CA plates to look like vintage black plates. Or in LA they drive around with the dealer plates for years. Is that legal? Not exactly. But its a tradeoff they are willing to live with to achieve their desired aesthetic. Before I go mocking up sticker locations I wanted to see a variety of different examples of where people are putting the stickers. You see this in other photos in the Model S exterior threads. I was just hoping people would contribute all their photos and ideas in one place to help evaluate the visual impact.

Here is a photo showing my sticker position:

T2.jpg

If there are other Model S exterior threads about where to place stickers in the main forum, then I suggest you post there. But to the best of my knowledge, HOV sticker placement has been a region by region thread.

There are only so many places on a vehicle to place a sticker. Take your pick.

If there are other Model S exterior threads about where to place stickers in the main forum, then I suggest you post there. But to the best of my knowledge, HOV sticker placement has been a region by region thread.

There are only so many places on a vehicle to place a sticker. Take your pick.

I was hoping to create a thread focused on aesthetics and sticker placement. That's almost like saying, there are so many ways to wrap your car or so many different wheels to put on your car, take your pick... but let's not have an easy way for owners to compare how it looks in a thread before they pull the trigger. There are whole forums like Stance Works - Low is a Lifestyle. where people obsess about the aesthetics of stance, wheel offset, camber, tire stretch, popping lip etc.. On a Model S, the sticker placement makes a design statement.

Anyway, I was walking around Venice this afternoon and spotted this Model S with the sticker right beside the plate. I'm considering this option with the smaller sticker and slightly higher.

2014-01-29 15.16.31.jpg
2014-01-29 15.17.10.jpg