Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Independent System Operator (CAISO)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received this alert on my CAISO app:

CAISO Grid Stage 1 System Emergency Notice [201702247]

The California ISO hereby issues a CAISO Grid Stage 1 System Emergency Notice,
effective 05/03/2017 19:01 through 05/03/2017 23:59.

Reason(s):

Operating Reserves are currently, or forecast to be, less than amounts required
by the Western Electricity Coordinating Council. If Operating Reserves deplete
further, the ISO will declare a Stage 2 System Emergency and may begin
curtailing Interruptible Loads*.

Monitor system conditions on the California ISO Website at www.caiso.com and
check with local electric utilities for additional information.

Notice issued at: 05/03/2017 19:04

* Interruptible Loads are comprised of customers from Southern California
Edison, San Diego Gas & Electric and Pacific Gas & Electric who opt for service
under "Interruptible Rate Schedules" and "Emergency Curtailment" tariffs
authorized by the California Public Utilities Commission that provide for
periodic curtailments by the California ISO. The ISO will also curtail loads
that elect to participate in California ISO Load Interruption Programs,
described in Operating Procedure 4510.

---------------------------------- DISCLAIMER --------------------------------------
This CAISO notice is based on the current conditions of the transmission grid
system. While this CAISO notice reflects the most current information available
to the CAISO, because transmission grid system conditions are subject to sudden
and rapid change without warning, the accuracy of this notice cannot be assured.
This CAISO notice is provided solely for informational purposes. Reliance by
any party on the contents of this CAISO notice, regardless of any errors,
omissions, inaccuracies, and/or subsequent changed conditions shall not be made
the basis for any claim, demand or cause for action against the CAISO. Any
recipient's decisions or actions that may be based in any way whatsoever on the
contents of this CAISO notice shall be the sole responsibility of the recipient.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the price maps in the CAISO app:

IMG_6507.PNG
IMG_6506-small.PNG
IMG_6504-small.PNG
IMG_6505-small.PNG

The highest price on the price map at 7:40PM is GUALALA_6_N001 way up there on the coast North of Santa Rosa at $152.77568/MWh. It shows $12.7735 in congestion pricing (not huge), $117.17625 in energy price (pretty huge), and $22.82593 in losses (which must be why it's the highest price spot).

I'll try to remember to post the (grid side only) Net Use graphs later tonight before they get taken down at midnight. But a word description is easy: it's very hot (air conditioner users), the sun went down (no solar), and there's no wind being caught, so peak use is forecast as 35GW, and net use shot up 3.5GW in 1 hour (10% of use), 5.5GW in 2 hours (15% of use), and 8GW in 3 hours (25% of use), which is a touch more than yesterday, which only saw a peak of 31GW (4GW lower than today), a rise of 6GW in 2 hours (17% of use) (and also a rise of 8GW in 3 hours (26% of use)). So, we have no wind, and we don't know how many people are arriving home right now from long commutes who are having to turn on their air conditioners because they are swealtering.

I have no idea how load planning and dirty energy ramp up planning and abilities are in the supply grid in terms of what's available. Obviously, to avoid clean energy curtailment, they try to shave the dirty energy ramp ups thinner to what's needed so that they don't have to pay for dirty energy to just be running even though there's clean energy available, but today is one of those "firsts" when they sort of get to see a steep evening event with this much heat and collected solar power change (9.8GW on grid to 0), and lack of wind. Think of it: the more sun we get, the more solar power we get and the more heat we get, making both the peak solar power collection and peak power use higher, which makes the points in the net use graph further apart.

This is why we need more Tesla! Let's get running, GigaFactory! Come On Nevada! Make Those PowerPacks and PowerWalls! Or something like that. We also need load shift (potential) pricing exposed far enough into pocketbooks that interested parties buy and install energy storage for integrated use. It's almost as if it couldn't have been timed better with the GF ramp up, even though I think it's decades behind in planning and implementation personally (since I saw this coming and knew how to fix it 3 decades ago, but everyone always told me to shut up, but thankfully a few intrepid researchers toiled and plugged along for decades getting solar PV ready, so we have that to be thankful for). Things are coming together. There will be a few bumps along the road, but nothing too major -- not like Davis years.

The sky looked really brown yesterday and today.

As I wrote this, total use dropped 1GW in the last hour since the alerts. Maybe some people reduced their use to respond, as well as sun going down relieving some A/C demand. Wind has also picked up from 0MW to 600MW -- not a whole GW but more than half. This coincided with the last 1.6GW of utility solar PV going to 0 (those must be the ones on bloody trackers pointed toward the sun in almost two axis because the sun just set (unless they fix them for optimal evening catch, except I see the same crazy early rise in sun catching in the mornings too)), so it's a net use drop of only the wind increase amount for now. But it certainly looks like we won't be needing that load shedding like we were alerted to be ready for.

Let's hope this is a typical windier evening than day. With all that heat stored in the Earth's surface, it could rise up and cause some wind. Already up an additional 200MW to 800MW since I wrote the above paragraph. And net use is down 800MW in the last hour. There goes another "close call". Crazy high prices, still too much pollution.

Last edited:
Yes. When the sun is shining. Avoid "Demand Charges" (power level peaks) in business utility tariffs.

In slightly more detail, but not much (diminishing returns of reading much beyond here):

If the grid can deliver the clean energy to your car, then yes. Part of the problem right now is that grid assets aren't in place to totally bring all solar power to users, but most of it is, so don't worry about that; just go ahead and look at shifting your use, but there are other problems having to do with cost. So, generally speaking:
  • The grid capacity to bring you cleaner energy is improving over time via many different efforts, and already has most of the capacity to bring you the existing clean energy.
  • The amount of clean energy in the day generally is more than at other times.
  • In summer, morning daylight has less users than afternoon daylight since a lot more energy is used in the afternoon to remove built up heat from conditioned spaces, so it's a slightly better time in the morning, but any daylight is cleaner energy.
  • Wind usually isn't enough to offset evening use, so depending on wind is less reliable. You'd need an automated system for all that, which generally isn't available today (but will be within years).
  • Unfortunately, business account "Demand Charges" from utilities often make the cleanest energy and most abundant energy times of day the most expensive times to charge since you are parked at a business parking lot most of the day with antiquated tarrifs. Please verify that the utility costs for this time of day are appropriate. If need be, offer to the utility to get a dedicated meter for EV charging that has utility tariff programmed "Demand Response" chargers used (such as OpenADR) and not to add those demand charges to the business, but like I said, I don't know where you buy those chargers quite yet and all the integration options.
    • If that business generated excess solar PV power (from their own PV arrays) during the day (such as a huge flat roof but not much electrical use (kind of rare), then as long as the solar inverters are putting out more power than your car + the business are using, then Demand Charges won't ever be raised by you charging then.
    • Because of clouds, a local dynamic current limiter (set to track available desired electricity) would be useful to keep your car only drawing that which does not exceed the existing solar array.
Generally speaking, when the "net demand" of CAISO (green line in their net demand charts) is the lowest during daylight hours is the cleanest time to charge. It's hard to exactly match the best times for clean energy, but generally when it's sunny and not too hot yet is the best time to grab the clean energy.

Then, if you actually love numbers, graphs, accounting, and math, and like spending time looking at them, then you could occasionally check the average ISO net use curve that takes out cleaner energy with a green line, such as the ones I'm going to post tonight. Notice that the last few days' of "Belly of the Duck" (point at which day time use is cleanest) centers around 10:30AM. If you look for the most optimal clean energy points, I'd say today it is 7:30AM to 2:30PM, 7 hours. Yesterday it was 8AM to 2PM, 6 hours. You're looking for the maximum area under a straight line you draw from start to finish point of the time scale corresponding to your charge session as it intersects the green line in the CAISO graphs, and if any of that use is beyond the point at which the green line is below your straight line (from start to finish of charging), then you have to subtract the stuff above it, I think. Generally speaking, in summer, the air conditioners get going in the afternoon (trying to remove all that built up daytime heat), so that's what you want to trend away from in daytime use, but it's still cleaner than evening use if you can't plug in that early.

Last edited:
@Ulmo
Would you mind explaining net demand ? It is presumably Actual Demand less <<what>> ? Is the <<what>> renewables ? If so then Total Demand is actually non-renewable demand. Is that right ?

And secondly, why does the Y-axis start at 18 GW ? I presume it simply reflects the reality of non-renewable demand never dropping below 18 GW, but it distorts the fact that renewables never come anywhere near supplying the grid load and the famous duck-bill ignores most of the duck.

This helps explain to everyone (including me, calling for less curtailment) how much they claim is actually possible to curtail on some of the hotter days, through omission and the "closer" call we had last evening:
IMG_6510.jpg

They seemed to have little trouble dispatching as much sun and wind as possible May 1 & May 2, but doing the same thing May 3, they then had almost too few variable make-up generators running yesterday late afternoon, but I'm thinking grid users' collective ability to use market prices, variable use contention responsive loads ("Demand Response"), and interruptible load agreements may be enough to hug it this close or at least closer than before (relative to need; obviously, the need of ramp is higher due to increased sun exposure). Of course, yesterday that ramp up of wind and ramp down of beating sun rays (thanks rotation of planet) right at the witching hour helped a lot.

My interpretation is "good job CAISO", even if I have plenty of items for improvement in my overall view.

As variable use and storage (including "Demand Response" (car charging, pumps, etc.), market rate response, "Grid Services" (storage (PowerWall, etc.))) ramp up over the next half decade, we should more than keep up with solar and wind installations within a few years. However, that's not a guarantee, so we may see some shuffling during the way there.

Last edited:
Pretty cool, Ulmo. I downloaded the application.

I see also that the app shows all fires currently being addressed by the various agencies. Who would have thought that after the winter that we had that there would be more than a dozen fires about the state?

Alan,

I don't know who Wattenburg is, but among the nuke casualties I was looking at a few minutes ago is OPPD's Fort Calhoun, in Nebraska. Like Diablo, they recently announced closure. Since power they cannot generate themselves comes from the Southwest Power Pool, they will shoring up their mix with a 55% coal-based resource (SPP ISO, per EIA data). There are a lot of coal plants sitting idle, even if new ones aren't getting built. Diablo is similar, but with natural gas since there is no arguing how much California uses. CPUC said it'll be replaced by renewables, but I have cognitive issues with that since the CA ISO isn't just made up of renewables and nukes. Maybe in CPUC's world it was when they made the arrangement with PG&E, but for CO2 I think the best policy is for reduction, not swapping among carbon free resources (Sort of like Pilgrim for Off Shore, in MA). Now, "50% renewable, by 2030" looks closer to the other 50% being fossil, under CA's renewable portfolio standard.

Subordinate nuclear risk to CO2 risk, or the other way around. It's generally false to think you aren't doing one, or the other in practice. I still dissent from the general opinion we can lock up existing nuclear plants under the belief that, "yeah, maybe some day California gets bellow 250 million tons per year. We've got time." (not trying to put words in anyone's mouth) The empirics of the CO2 problem get chipped away very slowly, and the speed of feedbacks seem threatening and uncertain enough, to me, to weigh the possibility of another Chernobyl or Fukushima.

Chris,

I think I understand most of what you wrote, which I would summarize as: (1) urgency especially due to uncertain feedback loops, (2) nuke closure may lead to fossil fuel uptake or re-uptake, e.g., bringing formerly idle coal plants back online, (3) nuke risk less than -- maybe much, much less than -- CO2 risk.

Do I fairly summarize?

But I don't understand what you are saying here, please tell me again:

No matter how each one of us feels, organizations like EDF and NRDC are helping defend against natural gas lawsuits which are trying to prevent states from valuing their "Zero Emissions Credits", from nuclear. Diablo's support was in exchange for closure. That bargain wasn't required in NY and IL, and from what I'm reading the same is being discussed in CT, NJ, OH and PA.

Finally: doesn't a carbon price significantly change the economic equation for nukes? Maybe still no new nukes, but more attractive to keep old ones going.

Thanks,
Alan

This 2017/2024 eclipse dynamic is a wonderful opportunity for solar/storage advocates to illustrate how things will run differently by the next eclipse in 2024. If we had any significant storage in place and perhaps smart charging, that blip would be smoothed out with zero effort.

If I'm reading the graph correctly, the eclipse resulted in ~ 4.5 GWh of solar energy loss that was replaced with other sources. I'm kind of surprised that this was worth all the spilled ink.

Second, can someone explain the drop in total demand from 10:30 am onward ? I know that CA asked people to save energy during the eclipse but I don't see a recovery.

If I'm reading the graph correctly, the eclipse resulted in ~ 4.5 GWh of solar energy loss that was replaced with other sources. I'm kind of surprised that this was worth all the spilled ink.

Second, can someone explain the drop in total demand from 10:30 am onward ? I know that CA asked people to save energy during the eclipse but I don't see a recovery.

Drop in demand is likely behind the meter solar. This solar is not measured by utilities in real time and instead shows as a reduction in demand as the customer side solar ramps up.

Matt

The drop in demand after the eclipse peak may be due to lower A/C demand due to lower solar gain on buildings during the partial eclipse condition.

I had the opportunity to take part in a local test with demand reduction and balancing during the eclipse using our 2011 Leaf. I plugged in at about 10% SOC and started charging at 8am. The EVSE moderated the charging depending upon the CAISO graph above. There were a total of four EVs in the test and some other loads. The EVs mostly did small short-term (minute by minute) charging while the other loads (HW, HVAC) did the longer term (hour by hour) demand reductions. I wasn't around to watch, given that I drove a 70D to Baker City, OR to view the totality with about 20 other Tesla drivers.