Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, The Land That Time Forgot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife asked, "So, are we going to do anything for NYE, or do we have to wait for someone to hopefully call us?" Gonna drive down to Fremont and go hang out there in a couple of hours and hopefully get a text. I hope we don't get stuck there at 10pm...
I'm on may way there now, be there in about 15 minutes. My text last night from Tesla said it would be built this morning, so I'm just going to see if it's ready and if not kill some time there.

This may be getting off topic for the thread, but herein lies my main issue with FSD. It executes the -majority- of lane changes very well? Even with due driver diligence, that seems unacceptable. To me, it's one strike and you're out. For safety's sake, it either works all of the time or not at all.

If I had it and used the lane change (or even NOA), I'd be swiveling my head every time the car makes a decision, worried that it won't see another car or motorcycle in the adjacent lane. Sure, -most- of the time it works great. The risk/reward just doesn't add up, at least not yet.

This is exactly like the AT&T commercials. FSD is ok. But is that good enough?

I've spent the last month retraining my right foot/leg not to be tensed up while on the accelerator pedal when using AP. It's real hard to let it just sit there, as it always wants to hover just over the pedal. As I've used TACC and auto steer and seen how well it works, the trust is building. It's still not quite there yet.

To clarify, when I mean FSD lane changes I mean lane changes that I direct. I direct lane changes without NoA but it doesn't break autosteer when I do so. Reengaging autosteer after every lane change would be a chore on AP.

So the problem with lane changes is it plays it TOO SAFE. I know why it does what it does. Tesla is choosing irritation over being too aggressive.

I'm not trusting it blindly but it does not seem likely an FSD lane change is going to bring you to a collision scenario.

I've had EAP since Jan 1st 2017. I was part of the first 1000 people to get AP/EAP on Tesla's inhouse AP2 suite.

I do NOT use NoA except for cases which I want it to 'take the right exit'. Of course it has gotten better since it was released and I'll run it for longer sessions as maturity develops.

@dandrewk - proper AP position is both feet flat and hands loosely gripping the wheel at 4 and 8 o clock. The idea is maximum fatigue reduction. You will know when autosteer is squirrily from experience and under no circumstances do you leave yourself no cushion to take over if needed. You can still be very relaxed however.

... I'll take it one further. When I bought FSD back in April at $5k on my LR AWD, it was a no brainer. It continues to be a no brainer, even at $7k. If we do pull the trigger on a Model X (depending on how the Great Deer Incident of 2019 turns out) ... I'd certainly add it.

Reasons?

#1 - Guaranteed me an HW3 upgrade
#2 - Lane changing is real, works now, works great. I couldn't IMAGINE driving on Autopilot without it. It makes the entire experience so so so smooth.
#3 - NoA - eh. Not there yet.
#4 - Autopark works well. Not perfect, but well enough when I don't want to park mself.
#5 - Smart Summon is an AWESOME parlor trick. I use it at the supermarket when it's raining; saves me from getting soaked and gets a ton of "holy sh!t look at that!" comments.
#6 - most importantly - by bundling with the vehicle, it falls under NJ's electric vehicle sales tax exemption. If I were to add it on later, I'd have to pay said tax. Huge benefit to bundling up front.
#7 - all the futures of FSD are coming.... If you're familiar with the Gartner hype cycle, I'd say we're probably around the Peak of Inflated Expectations, maybe on our way to the Trough of Disillusionment already ... it's early, folks, but we're getting there.

View attachment 494891

We agree on a lot of things good buddy - but were not trying to sell FSD to each other. :D

People really discount experience which is unfortunate.

Lots of smug SR+ owners caught in a 150 vehicle deep supercharging line in San Luis Obispo because they are clowning on LR owners spending $10K more.

Just got the call that my car won't make this year. Tesla is full of lies.... Ordered in November, delivery got pushed 3 times. I moved vacations, I took days off, I sold cars expecting delivery. What a way to treat your customers.

Drive in and see what they can do. The reps can hide on a phone easily. Especially today.

Tesla tried to cancel my delivery this year and I said no.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: tren01t and dmurphy
I'm here at the factory now. Got checked in and in line behind about 80 people waiting to get delivery. Entire parking lot is loaded with Tesla's. Literally can see a thousand Tesla's from where I stand. I'd say 95% Model 3's with some S and X scattered.

Attachments

• IMG_20191231_132333.jpg
    IMG_20191231_132333.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 65
Just got the call that my car won't make this year. Tesla is full of lies.... Ordered in November, delivery got pushed 3 times. I moved vacations, I took days off, I sold cars expecting delivery. What a way to treat your customers.
Did you get a text yesterday saying your car was being built?
I'm here at the factory now. Got checked in and in line behind about 80 people waiting to get delivery. Entire parking lot is loaded with Tesla's. Literally can see a thousand Tesla's from where I stand. I'd say 95% Model 3's with some S and X scattered.

You went without an appointment time? Just that your car was going to be ready today??

• Love
Reactions: Cligadel

You went without an appointment time? Just that your car was going to be ready today??
Ya I want to know this too. I’ll just head over now and wait a bit.

Let us know

We agree on a lot of things good buddy - but were not trying to sell FSD to each other. :D

People really discount experience which is unfortunate.

For sure. That wasn't for you - it was really for the others who might be on the fence. We know the deal, good and bad.... and honestly, I wouldn't trade that lane changing for the world. Maybe if someone never had it, they wouldn't get it... but once you do, it really ties AP altogether. I couldn't imagine having to come off AP to change lanes and then re-engage. That'd make no sense.

I mean, there are days I spend hours with AP continuously engaged. Never disengaging for long long stretches.

Any Tesla I buy at this point would be incomplete without FSD. I have some wonderfully crass analogies in mind... LOL.

Lots of smug SR+ owners caught in a 150 vehicle deep supercharging line in San Luis Obispo because they are clowning on LR owners spending $10K more.

I mean, if the choice is an SR+ with an occasional Supercharging wait, or a Camry, I'll take the SR+ every time. But yeah, the extra couple bucks bought me an extra motor and a range that means I have to cross state lines to even begin thinking about range. There's nowhere - not one place - in state that I can't get, even in the worst weather conditions. Works for me.

Drive in and see what they can do. The reps can hide on a phone easily. Especially today.

Solid advice. As the saying goes - "Just showing up is half the battle."

I

I got a text on 22nd the car was leaving the factory on the 26. i've had a vin the last 5-6 days.
I got a text last night my 10am appointment was move to 6 due to trucking issues. I got a call just now, the truck won't make it.

Ya I want to know this too. I’ll just head over now and wait a bit.

Let us know
Yeah. I got a text last night that my car would be completed this morning. Got another text this morning to be ready for delivery and to show up at factory after receiving final text. I did not receive that final text, but just came anyway. They looked up my order number, checked me in, and said my car is ready and get line. So I am in the line of people picking up their vehicles. About 70 deep right now.

I got a text on 22nd the car was leaving the factory on the 26. i've had a vin the last 5-6 days.
I got a text last night my 10am appointment was move to 6 due to trucking issues. I got a call just now, the truck won't make it.

Go in and have them tell you that in person. Or see if they can call someone in San Diego, Costa Mesa, Burbank, Marina Del Rey.

All locations that are accessible to you.

Unless it hasn't even been loaded on a transport, plenty of time to arrive by midnight.

MAKE THEM WORK.

Reactions: tren01t

Yes, I had text last night my car would be built this morning. Got another text this morning saying be ready to take delivery today. I didn't get another text after that, but just came in. They checked me in, said car was ready, and now in line behind others waiting to pick up their cars.

Reactions: gelabela
Yeah. I got a text last night that my car would be completed this morning. Got another text this morning to be ready for delivery and to show up at factory after receiving final text. I did not receive that final text, but just came anyway. They looked up my order number, checked me in, and said my car is ready and get line. So I am in the line of people picking up their vehicles. About 70 deep right now.
On my way! Didn't get the final text but I got the same correspondence you did. Traffic isn't bad yet and I don't wanna get stuck in rush hour.

I

GO FIND THE TRUCK!!!

Sorry that this happened to you, it sucks!

I honestly have no idea what Tesla will do for people who bought early enough that they should have had a vehicle before EOY, but did not due to Teslas....incompetence or greed, whichever one you want to call it.

If they hit huge numbers, their stock skyrockets and it helps them "get over the hump" they might tell you to take it or leave it...or they might reach out and take care of you since they now are not in do or die.

Best of luck!