Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Trips - anyone done these drives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, looking to buy a MS, but really torn (range anxiety) on the 75 vs 100.

We like to do trips. We live in SoCal, Santa Clarita is our closest SuperCharger.

So, looking at trips we have done in the past, and would like to take the kids on.

KINGS CANYON (Sequoia National Forrest)
It seems that the closest superchargers are Kettleman City or Fresno.
In using the trip planner with an S75D, It shows round trip with less than 20% to spare from one supercharger to the next. This does not leave a lot of "spare" for exploring and i don't think that we would be able to do the crystal caves, as they are so far off the regular road.

HURST CASTLE / BIG SUR
Okay, this one is not as bad as I thought it would be, in theory.
San Louis Obisbo (or Atascadero) to San Simeon, and then up the coast to Big Sur got me arriving at BS at 50%. Supercharger is Monterey. I've driven this road before in "spirited" mode - how much extra juice does this use?

So, has anyone actually done the Kings Canyon trip - and how well did it work in a Tesla?
Really concerned about that one. I can only image doing it in winter...

There is discussion about Sequoia / Kings Canyon in the California forum. You'd probably have better luck searching/posting there for detailed feedback. It can be done. The planned Visalia supercharger will make it easier. There's also a destination charger at the Gateway Lodge in Three Rivers.

Central coast / 101 / SR 1 is no problem at all. Planned Cambria and Big Sur superchargers will make it trivial. There are 6 destination chargers at Hearst Castle itself and a hand full in Big Sur.

I've done 57k miles all over California from San Diego to Mt. Shasta in a RWD 75 and range is just not an issue any more. There are plenty of places to stop and charge.

I’ve been to Hearst castle. Stopped in Atascadero. There is a great Mexican restaurant directly across the street. In Cambria, you can stay at a number of places that have destination chargers. There are also chargers in the lot at the castle. With the 75, you might have to stop at the SC near Solvang for a quick top off. It’s at a Marriott so you can stop for a quick break there.