Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling all Model X 60D Owners!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey. I’m looking for find other Model X 60D owners. I’d like to have a conversation about when your car was built. Did anyone get lucky to get a 60D AP2? Have you kept it? How long you planning on keeping it? Did you upgrade to 75D. And so many more questions.

Also have X 60d with AP2. Delivered 12/2016.

I also do not plan on upgrading the battery unless it’s around $2000. Tesla still asking for $4500 to upgrade, which is a lot I think given how battery prices are now. I have EAP and holding off on FSD even when it was $2000. I think it makes more sense to put the money to a newer car with more range.

I can’t decide how long to keep the car. With things getting tighter at superchargers, I may need more range, but we’ve mostly made do with good planning. I did pre purchase the extended warranty but I think I will cancel that too. Again I think that $5000 could be put towards a new car instead?

Just upgrade the car. The price has came down a lot with many then-options included. New motor / suspension, HW3, all the good stuff.

All depends on how much you paid for the 60D X, at the time the 60D X was priced from £64K - that pretty much the same price as a optioned up Dual motor Model 3, but your getting a much much more substantial car, FWDs, Paranomic roof all included.

In the UK I got one of the first (and last) 60Ds with AP2, build date was Dec 2016 with delivery in March 2017.

With 6 seater, white premium interior, cold weather pack, AP2.0 but I didn't pay to activate the car, the cost of our car was £71K.

I have since paid £300 to upgrade the stock speaker, £4900 in the recent FSD 'sale', and £100 for DIY HEAP filter retrofit, when available I will also order the CCS retrofit/adaptor here in Europe as CCS chargers are getting very common.

That will take my total spend on the X to £77K, the same car today in same spec is £92k for SR or £101K, that's excluding the 22inch referral wheels our X is currently wearing.

Sure who doesn't want more range, faster 0-60 time, but a new X is no way worth 20-30% more than our X, that's before factoring in deprecation.

I actually was 'forced' to pay the £4000 to 'upgrade' our 60 to 75 due to an insurance issue, and in reality the extra range has made 0 difference as daily I still only charge to 70%.

Looking at what Tesla have added to the X since 2016 with over the air updates I'm pretty happy with our X, faster 0-60 time, now faster charging, soon CCS compatibility here in Europe and hopefully at some point the new FSD computer. I cannot think of any other car I have ever bought that have had so many updates post purchase.

Throw in free for life unlimited supercharging and connectivity, our X is a 100% 'keeper', last weekend it hauled 4 adults, 2 toddlers + luggage, over 100 miles coming back from the airport - The trip in the car was so much nicer/relaxed than the plane. Upgrading to a newer X would offer the identical experience with the added bonus of having £50K less in the bank account.

All depends on how much you paid for the 60D X, at the time the 60D X was priced from £64K - that pretty much the same price as a optioned up Dual motor Model 3, but your getting a much much more substantial car, FWDs, Paranomic roof all included.

In the UK I got one of the first (and last) 60Ds with AP2, build date was Dec 2016 with delivery in March 2017.

With 6 seater, white premium interior, cold weather pack, AP2.0 but I didn't pay to activate the car, the cost of our car was £71K.

I have since paid £300 to upgrade the stock speaker, £4900 in the recent FSD 'sale', and £100 for DIY HEAP filter retrofit, when available I will also order the CCS retrofit/adaptor here in Europe as CCS chargers are getting very common.

That will take my total spend on the X to £77K, the same car today in same spec is £92k for SR or £101K, that's excluding the 22inch referral wheels our X is currently wearing.

Sure who doesn't want more range, faster 0-60 time, but a new X is no way worth 20-30% more than our X, that's before factoring in deprecation.

I actually was 'forced' to pay the £4000 to 'upgrade' our 60 to 75 due to an insurance issue, and in reality the extra range has made 0 difference as daily I still only charge to 70%.

Looking at what Tesla have added to the X since 2016 with over the air updates I'm pretty happy with our X, faster 0-60 time, now faster charging, soon CCS compatibility here in Europe and hopefully at some point the new FSD computer. I cannot think of any other car I have ever bought that have had so many updates post purchase.

Throw in free for life unlimited supercharging and connectivity, our X is a 100% 'keeper', last weekend it hauled 4 adults, 2 toddlers + luggage, over 100 miles coming back from the airport - The trip in the car was so much nicer/relaxed than the plane. Upgrading to a newer X would offer the identical experience with the added bonus of having £50K less in the bank account.

Very good analysis. LOL - my car was also delivered in March 2017. Must be the same batch.

Have you ever found it necessary to charge over 192 miles/310km (current max of my X60D)? I ask because I'm wondering how useful the upgrade would be for me as I know charging to the top of the battery takes a long time.

My only regret is getting the fold flat 5 seater rather than the 6 seater. 6 seat configuration was half the price it is now.

Reactions: gangzoom
Have you ever found it necessary to charge over 192 miles/310km (current max of my X60D)? I ask because I'm wondering how useful the upgrade would be for me as I know charging to the top of the battery takes a long time.

I wouldn't bother, especially with the new uprated SC speed of peak 110KW+ on our cars.

The top 15% adds not that much range and is pointless at SC stops as you really don't want to waste time charging, I didn't have to pay the £4K to upgrade to the 75 I wouldn't have :).

I just did another quick sum about the price difference needed to upgrade from 60D X to a new LR X, here in the UK anyways.

So £24K purchase cost difference between 60D X and LR X, range difference lets call it 100 miles - at the most.

Lets say you would find the extra 100 miles useful once per month, over 5 years that essentially equates to paying £400 every time to take advantage of the extra 100 miles difference.

You can than factor in time spent/wasted at SC a 60D on a once a month trip with a LR X can do none stop - Lets say 30 minutes extra needed to add to the trip time, that means you have to be able to justify spending £13 to save 1 minute of journey time on a once a month long road trip for upgrading a 60D to a new LR X.......That's BEFORE factoring in deprecation, add in deprecation and that figure will be easily £20-30/minute, or £1200-1600/hr, I know time is money, but I know very few situations where you can justify that kind of cost!!!

Hey. I’m looking for find other Model X 60D owners. I’d like to have a conversation about when your car was built. Did anyone get lucky to get a 60D AP2? Have you kept it? How long you planning on keeping it? Did you upgrade to 75D. And so many more questions.

Thanks to @outie conforming the AP1 fact for me the analysis is simple.

1.) Sell before the warranty ends privately.

2.) Keep forever as an in town Minivan. I wouldn’t want to go on road trips anymore with the X unless I had to since new X or 3 is magnitudes more efficient.

If I relied on SC often which I don’t, 60D burns too much time.

The new X of course will hit your bank but much better car. You can possibly wait to see if they do anything else like interior or exterior refresh before your warranty is out.

The extra range that you get going from 60D -> 75D is pretty much worth $0. As others have pointed out you will never use that portion of the battery at supercharger stops because charging rate is so slow there. So it only helps if you regularly take roundtrip journeys in a day that the 75D could do but 60D couldn't. Also helps a bit for the first leg of a long journey.

Upgrading to 75D also decreases the 0-60 time from 6.0sec to 4.8sec which is pretty significant. It's just hard for me to justify paying $4500 for that, especially on a car that is 2.5 years old at this point and has already depreciated quite a bit. If they made the price $1k I'd bite the bullet and do it.

And to think back on it.....at the time they were selling the 60D the 75D actually was a $9k upgrade. And at that point the 75D was still corked to the 6.0sec 0-60 time. So the ONLY thing you got for your $9k was 37 miles of extra range which are essentially worthless. You would have had to be pretty bad at math to choose the 75D at that time.

Reactions: gangzoom
So the ONLY thing you got for your $9k was 37 miles of extra range which are essentially worthless. You would have had to be pretty bad at math to choose the 75D at that time.

It was pretty obvious the 60 was a classic Tesla 'demand lever', it was on sale for less than 1 quarter I seem to remember. Identical car to the P90D L at the time expect for the battery pack but if I remember correctly HALF the cost, and exactly the same as the 75D interns of hardware. It wouldn't have surprised me if Tesla was barely breaking even with each 60D X sold.

For us penny pinchers it really was the 'pick of the range', personally I wouldn't have bought a 75/90D X at the time for higher cost, and no way would I now pay the £100K+ Tesla wants for a LR X with some options here in the UK now, its just too much money to waste on a car that's not that much better than one which cost £64K a few years ago.

If want range best range the Model 3 just cannot be beaten and at nearly half the cost of a S/X, when the Y comes out at £50-60K I cannot see anyone dropping £100k on a LR X regardless of extra features.

But I'm very happy to keep our X till it dies, best car I have ever owned, am just glad Tesla dropped the price with the 60D when they did which was the push I needed to order one back in 2016 :).

It was pretty obvious the 60 was a classic Tesla 'demand lever', it was on sale for less than 1 quarter I seem to remember. Identical car to the P90D L at the time expect for the battery pack but if I remember correctly HALF the cost, and exactly the same as the 75D interns of hardware. It wouldn't have surprised me if Tesla was barely breaking even with each 60D X sold.

For us penny pinchers it really was the 'pick of the range', personally I wouldn't have bought a 75/90D X at the time for higher cost, and no way would I now pay the £100K+ Tesla wants for a LR X with some options here in the UK now, its just too much money to waste on a car that's not that much better than one which cost £64K a few years ago.

If want range best range the Model 3 just cannot be beaten and at nearly half the cost of a S/X, when the Y comes out at £50-60K I cannot see anyone dropping £100k on a LR X regardless of extra features.

But I'm very happy to keep our X till it dies, best car I have ever owned, am just glad Tesla dropped the price with the 60D when they did which was the push I needed to order one back in 2016 :).

Yes I feel I got lucky too. But my only disappointment with the range is that when you want to go somewhere which doesn't have a lot of superchargers, there is anxiety and you need to keep watching your range. If I had a 75D, I could waste more time at a supercharger stop and charge to 100%.

The new X of course will hit your bank but much better car.

The new X is better, but not $50K better, no way not even close. If your lucky enough to have a bank account which can absorb $50K without worry than its a no brainer to get the new X. But us 60D owners aren't in the same ball park/mind set, otherwise we wouldn't have got a 60D in the first place :).

The Y will offer the extra space the 3 doesn't, and come in ALOT cheaper than a new X, that's what we are waiting on to replace my wife car.