Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Recalibration: How Frequently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
I can’t get a straight answer to this question from Tesla sources, either the nationwide support phone folks or local service center.

It seems odd that Tesla would now include that capability under the Service menu unless they thought it was needed for us to perform more than once in the life of the vehicle.

Do we need to do this on every software update? I’ve been told repeatedly by Tesla sources to turn the vehicle power off for five minutes, restart and do a double scroll wheel reset after every software update.

I can’t get a straight answer to this question from Tesla sources, either the nationwide support phone folks or local service center.

It seems odd that Tesla would now include that capability under the Service menu unless they thought it was needed for us to perform more than once in the life of the vehicle.

Do we need to do this on every software update? I’ve been told repeatedly by Tesla sources to turn the vehicle power off for five minutes, restart and do a double scroll wheel reset after every software update.

You will get as much consensus on this as "what percentage should I charge my battery to? Should I plug it in every day, or should I charge every few days?"

Reactions: OxBrew

I've only ever bothered with this once. Basically, the calibration is to allow the software to adjust to the slight differences in physical camera placement so it can anneal the various views more accurately in the NN. So the only time you really need to do this is (a) when a new camera is installed (or changes in some way, e.g. after windshield replacement) or (b) when a software update changes the way it handles the camera placement mapping (and in this case I would expect Tesla to force a recalibration anyway). The rest is just voodoo.

Reactions: GtiMart
I've only ever bothered with this once. Basically, the calibration is to allow the software to adjust to the slight differences in physical camera placement so it can anneal the various views more accurately in the NN. So the only time you really need to do this is (a) when a new camera is installed (or changes in some way, e.g. after windshield replacement) or (b) when a software update changes the way it handles the camera placement mapping (and in this case I would expect Tesla to force a recalibration anyway). The rest is just voodoo.
The only subjective point I'll toss out is the repeater (blind spot) cameras. They can move, very slightly on some cars. I once had my driver side camera make a small movement while washing the car - we're talking 1mm or less. Automated car washes, with their spinning brushes, could possibly make tiny movements in the repeater cameras, which could translate to a slight imbalance in the camera calibration.

Again, totally subjective, but a possible reason why some people experience issues with odd behavior that is corrected after they re-calibrate.

Reactions: drtimhill
I had to recalibrate mine after I had PPF installed. They took the cameras off the front fenders to wrap underneath them. When I got in the car there was a message telling me certain guidance features were unavailable until calibration was completed by driving a while. My car has FSD if that makes a a difference. The PPF installer told me in advance this recalibration was going to be necessary. I think I saw mention of the feature in the owners manual too.

The only issue I have with this thread is:
I am firmly in the camp of, "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it".
If something does seem to be broke, applying a bunch of different fixes without a very through knowledge of each fix, including every possible thing it might effect and how, seems likely to include direct violations of the above rule?