Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Window Doesn't De-ice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had you used defrost setting before? The non defrost setting is just cabin heating/cooling, the same as you may set on a hot day when you wanted to cool the cabin. Its not a defrost so no reason why the defrost mechanisms such as the cabin camera housing would need to be operational. I can't remember about rear window heater if that gets triggered as tbh, except in hot temperature I don't use the cabin temperature controls remotely. The door mirrors are triggered by rear windscreen heating. Prior to 2021.40.6, even defrost setting wouldn't trigger the front camera element. Sentry will trigger front camera defrost and was the method needed prior to 2021.40.6 - some reports of seat heater also triggering it. The camera heater wires do not get hot, but mildly warm. Once on, that area will clear pretty quick. My test this morning was 8 minutes between turning on and checking, but in the past, even after 4 minutes I have seen the camera area be clear and I suspect its even quicker than that. No reason why front window would clear the camera area as the top of that area remains frozen, although does benefit from a little heat from the cameras themselves - the tell tell is usually the outside top/side of the passenger side windscreen which has the camera heater wire running along it so will often show a decidedly marked line if the camera element has been on - not so obvious in todays picture but very clear in the image in this post.

Anyway, looks like it hasn't regressed in v11 (yet) which is good news. It wouldn't have surprised me if it had.

As for car like a sauna, if you defrost first, then when cabin gets to temperature, if you turn off defrost at that point but keep cabin temperature on, then the cabin will have had a chance to cool (especially if passengers open other doors and leave them open) plus you can then let the car remain at normal setting as if you specifically turn it off in the app, it will also turn it off in the car. As the cabin temperature sensor is pretty much in the cabin heater air flow it vastly over reads the cabin ambient so even though cabin may say 29C, that's only the inbound air flow and pretty quickly cabin temperature will read much lower, possibly not even the temperature set point.
It has regressed. Looks like the poster had sentry on today. He said he was leaving it on overnight. That’s why he said it’s a shame you can’t link them together.

Car is on 44.30.11 and the Apple app whatever the latest one is.
I pre-warmed the car and then when it was at the desired temperature turned on the defrost setting.
The car was like a sauna...
SO..it is perfectly possible that the screen glass was warm enough from the hot air for the window to defrost. I didn't see a stage where the element wires were hot, with ice between.
Did you have sentry on today?

It's not regressed for me because it was never fixed for me.

Not sure why there are differences here between cars, but I've been using defrost (yes defrost) on v11 and each version I had before - it absolutely does not put on the camera heating elements on my car

I accept that with defrost on for long enough it will eventually clear that section, but when the heating elements are on you don't even need to use the wipers to clear that section as it all evaporates.

If I turn on sentry mode, the camera heating elements are on. The clue is you distinctly see the lines clearing first, as on the rear window and all the water droplets evaporate.

I wonder if there has been a change with the "cold weather improvements"? As I have posted on the 2022.4.5 thread today, previously the little window remained defrosted only if in sentry mode. Today I awoke to snow and the car completely covered except for the little square area around the cameras. Sentry or defrost is not on as the car is at home and not used since yesterday afternoon.

Does it now turn on automatically if the temperature falls below 0 degrees or some such?

Edited to add: and there is a thin line defrosted from the top of the camera square to the nearside of the screen only, hence it looks like it is a "camera defrost" in some way.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Resurrecting this old thread. When is the front camera supposed to use the elements to defrost? Defrost still doesn't seem to do it on 2022.44.25.3

Full Defrost mode (as opposed to just warm the cabin up mode) and Sentry.

As per thread, was fixed in time for winter 21/22 and certainly, as of 2022.36.x, still working as expected. Haven't needed to use it since installing 2022.44.x.

Reactions: Tigermad
Full Defrost mode (as opposed to just warm the cabin up mode) and Sentry.

As per thread, was fixed in time for winter 21/22 and certainly, as of 2022.36.x, still working as expected. Haven't needed to use it since installing 2022.44.x.
That's the thing. Other people are saying recently they have only got to turn the climate on (not defrost) and it works for them.

That's the thing. Other people are saying recently they have only got to turn the climate on (not defrost) and it works for them.
Unlike full defrost where I think camera demist should be a given, climate is likely to trigger a whole of hvac options depending on climatic conditions, eg heater, a/c and I guess camera demist especially on Tesla Vision cars.

But you would like to think that if camera visibility is impaired by frost/ice/snow etc then regular climate will turn on camera demist in the same way that wipers turn on automatically for rain. Oh wait…

My 22 Model 3 LR had the camera defroster running at 92F ambient, sunny and hot, and I didn't have the A/C running nor defroster on, no sentry mode, and it wasn't from solar loading due to the sun (sun had already set). Only reason I knew it was running was when I went to clean my windshield and wiped it down. I felt an area that was hot to the touch and it was that defroster for the camera.