Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping in the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone planning on taking their Model 3 camping? I plan to take my little ones out for over night trips.
I am in the process of ordering all the things I need to pull this off before the car arrives. The place where I am stuck is the mattress which is places across the boot floor and the folded rear seats. There are videos on youtube showing the dimensions of the boot and the narrowest part is betwee the wheel arches where you could fit in a mattress about 38" (965mm).
The best kind of mattress to get seems to be a trifold and no thicker than 3" (76mm) so when it folds on itself (3 layers) it can still fit below the 'parcel tray' section of the boot.

The best mattress that fits this criteria is this one: Foldable Twin Memory Foam Mattress Sleeping Pad TriFold Camping Pad with Cover | eBay

upload_2019-8-1_12-31-7.png

That ebay link is the only place I could find online which ships to Australia.. There is a much cheaper one on amazon.com but doesn't ship to Australia.

Anyone had any luck with finding a mattress? I dont want to spent >$100 just for shipping/import duties.

For those interested in camping with the Model 3, you will also need to block light coming in through the windows somehow. There are products for this but super expensive. Easier to go to bunnings and get a roll of this: Foil Insulation available from Bunnings Warehouse
And stick it to the windows from the inside at night. I plan to do it with Blutac first but then eventually with suction cups.

Reactions: David Sowden
This is neat! Any more info on how this was done and what it looks like folded up?

I picked up a basic mattress for about $100, took the Blue cover off and cut the wheel arches shape out. This type of set up is only good for 2 nights in a row maximum or once every second or third night on a long trip. For longer trips we use a double swag with thinner but better quality mattress that is good for 5+ nights in a row. The double swag rolls up tight enough to fit through the smallest split fold seat. Even though the model 3 isn't a hatchback it will still be awesome fun to take it out to some camping spots with no noise or light pollution.

Reactions: jaykaye