Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping mode for a few days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hiya all, awaiting delivery of my MYLR delivery. Looking at a few road trips to see some of the Uk in the winter time. Is camp mode a practical way of settling for a few nights? Love the idea of waking up in scenic spots but not sure if it's practical for say 4 nights even with the proper mattress for the car.

Any insights welcomed 👏🏼

Notateslaapp says Camp Mode uses 10% (of the battery) per night. This will vary depending on outside temperature. Insulating the roof, windows, and windscreen should make a big difference. In the US and Canada you can get EVglass from EVinsulate which makes the roof double paned. The HeatShield company makes insulating shades with suction cups for all the glass in a Tesla. I got knockoffs (presumably made in China) from eBay for much less. Some people make their own with Reflectix.

The insulating shades also block light which, for me, is important. And I got a wrap-around sleep mask which works like a champ.

Camping in a Model Y is great! I suggest you start out with a few simple overnights or even naps to shake down your equipment and get the hang of it. There are tons of YouTube videos about camping in a Tesla. For overnight, I switched from using a large self-inflating mattress to a smaller, high quality air mattress so I could use the frunk for a cooler and food storage. But for a four night stay, I'd recommend a larger self inflating mattress like those from ExPed. A thick trifold mattress is also good but it takes up a lot of space when not in use.

Space and storage is a priority. There are also important details like where to put your shoes and how to get to the touchscreen from the back (and how to avoid needing to). Everyone seems to tweak and adjust their setup as they gain experience. Don't expect to get it right the first time.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
Has anybody figured out how to account for the slight decline when sleeping in the back? Is there an inflatable wedge to flatten the floor or another method so it doesn't feel like you are sleeping on a slope?
Bryan Hauer and others use small ramps called "levelers" that you drive the car onto to make the sleeping surface level. I don't know of any alternatives that can be used inside the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
A Coleman Twin size inflatable mattress fits perfectly between the wheel arches on a Model Y

1669647370468.png

Here is the setup with a North Face down bag that I found by the side of the road. Plenty of space for your stuff and you won't notice the incline

1669647449778.png

Here's me trying out the Coleman inflatable mattress along with the Coleman inflatable stomach

1669647553633.png

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
A Coleman Twin size inflatable mattress fits perfectly between the wheel arches on a Model Y

View attachment 879057

Here is the setup with a North Face down bag that I found by the side of the road. Plenty of space for your stuff and you won't notice the incline

View attachment 879058

Here's me trying out the Coleman inflatable mattress along with the Coleman inflatable stomach

View attachment 879059
I used the exped megamat and definitely still noticed the incline. I kept slowly sliding down and my feet would end up pressed against the rear liftgate and made for a slightly uncomfortable sleeping experience. I used to remove the rear seat bench in the M3 to fix this but read that it doesn't fold flat the same way for the MY.

Reactions: BitJam
I'm going to give the ones BitJam recommended a try I think though first - seem like they'll have more adjustability.
I'm not recommending that particular brand or even this solution in general. I don't know if I've seen it in action with a Tesla (even on video). So more of a mention than a recommendation.

Teslas are heavier than most cars so I suggest you make sure the ones you get can handle the weight. If you do try this, please let us know how it works out.

View attachment 879057

View attachment 879058

View attachment 879059
Thanks for posting this, I found this at Costco for $50. The custom foam options I was looking at before were over $200, and this air mattress option seems more comfortable and more compact when not in use

Reactions: EVer Hopeful
Is there a mode that will simply keep the car awake, enough to keep the 12v and maybe USB providing power? I recently used the camp mode to keep a 12V Coleman fridge running during a 60 hour power outage here in the Bay Area.. charging up many devices, laptops, phones, iPads, external batteries, etc.. over 50 hours the car used 12 kWh roughly, and the Tesla in dash Energy consumption info screen showed that SCREEN ON time was the primary user 38 miles, with the remaining being OTHER. I didn’t need the screen at all during this time, and IF the screen was really using that much of the overall power, shutting it off would have been helpful