Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping Trailer Selection for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll have to browse through Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis thread linked above because I’ve always felt the “missing link” to solve for improving range was the pocket between the X and trailer. Wouldn’t the air flow in there cost significant range?

Unfortunately, I have to believe that if that were true, someone would have invented a plastic pop-up cover to connect the towing vehicle and trailer to minimize that flow. Kind of like the super advanced schematic I added to @AltoGrayhound pic below.
Search for posts made by @AltoGrayhound and I believe you will find that he experimented with implementing what you are discussing.

Your interest in trailer aerodynamics and concern about the “gap” between tow vehicle and trailer is very reasonable. I suggest you post in the Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis thread, as this thread is for discussing currently available trailers that are best suited for towing with an X.

I've been following this thread and others to help us decide on our first trailer for use with our impending Model Y. Does anyone have thoughts on any reduced drag pulling a hard side pop up such as an Aliner instead of a teardrop trailer such as the Altos or T@B 320s? This model LXE - Aliner is a consideration, weighing in dry at ~1800 lbs. To our eyes, they don't have the beauty of the teardrops, but I am guessing they are an easier pull, which is key for a Model Y with its 75KW battery. Any thoughts to share? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: CapnDave
Does anyone have thoughts on any reduced drag pulling a hard side pop up such as an Aliner instead of a teardrop trailer such as the Altos or T@B 320s?
It should have significantly reduced drag. From research I've done, most teardrops appear aerodynamic but slope off too quickly and actually create drag at the back. For a teardrop to be effective, it must be relatively long and tapered, like the Bowlus. There was some discussion here.

It should have significantly reduced drag. From research I've done, most teardrops appear aerodynamic but slope off too quickly and actually create drag at the back. For a teardrop to be effective, it must be relatively long and tapered, like the Bowlus. There was some discussion here.

Thank you for all of your reports - great help! I have read that thread and the Bowlus punches way above my wallet's opening. Since I have yet to see any reports, I am planning to test out the relative aerodynamics of a small pop-up like the Aliner using a rental trailer. Now all we need to do is get our Model Y since my Model S doesn't tow. Cheers

Reactions: ohmman