Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were you carrying a jack and breaker bar? Fortunately plugging will handle/temporize all but catastrophic failures.
If it is amenable to a plug you can do it without removing the tire.

Move forward or back a little to find the spot. Then turn the wheel to give yourself more room (if it's a front tire). Also put suspension on very high for a little more room.

If it is amenable to a plug you can do it without removing the tire.

Move forward or back a little to find the spot. Then turn the wheel to give yourself more room (if it's a front tire). Also put suspension on very high for a little more room.[/QUOTED ]
Agreed—I usually plug on the ground because there is no jack access. Usually not available, but a portable drill makes reaming a lot easier from awkward angles, especially inboard rear punctures. My question about having a jack and breaker bar pertained to bringing the rim to a tire store, not plugging it in the field.

Reactions: idoco
Finally finished that video which wraps up this thread. I hope you enjoy and maybe learn something useful.

I am available for questions if anyone needs to know something specific.

Great video, thanks for sharing! My only comment is that I would have driven through that puddle. The battery pack is supposed to be completely sealed, so you would be safe. There are videos of people driving through deeper water (see below) and Elon did once tweet that the car should float in deep water.

However, I wasn't there and may have change my mind once I saw it, so you probably made the right decision (better safe than sorry), since you can still get stuck, which would have been a pain in a remote area.

• Informative
Reactions: Chrisizzle
I would have driven through that puddle. The battery pack is supposed to be completely sealed, so you would be safe...

...However, I wasn't there and may have change my mind once I saw it, so you probably made the right decision (better safe than sorry), since you can still get stuck, which would have been a pain in a remote area.

I exercised an overdose of caution. It was the remoteness of where I was that was a concern. If something went wrong, I would have had to use my bicycle to ride out at least 2-hours to get to a road and cell reception.

I've had my 12V battery fail in a Model S leaving the car undrivable. That was in a city but without a local Tesla dealership. Tesla came through, but it took several hours. Wyoming would have been exponentially worse... and probably not covered by warranty or service for crossing a river :p

Reactions: vandacca and KJD