Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can 70D use 85D battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If purchase the new 70D and in a few years when the battery get old, can it be replaced using the 85D battery?

I think once battery swap stations are commonplace, (few years), this will be more or less a given. Another reason I went with 70D.
On the other hand, as the supercharger grows, and EVs become more and more accepted, people may actually prefer to save $ and go with a smaller battery.

I think once battery swap stations are commonplace, (few years), this will be more or less a given. Another reason I went with 70D.
On the other hand, as the supercharger grows, and EVs become more and more accepted, people may actually prefer to save $ and go with a smaller battery.

Hate to break it to you but battery swap stations will never be commonplace. The only reason there is one at all is because CARB changed the rules requiring not just demonstrating that the cars are capable of it but now require that some of the cars actually use it. I expect the fast charging requirement to be removed sometime in the future in order to get maximum ZEV credits. When that happens then Tesla will eliminate their battery swap station entirely. It's only economical because the single station is producing millions of dollars in additional revenue. A network of them would not produce that same value.

Hate to break it to you but battery swap stations will never be commonplace. The only reason there is one at all is because CARB changed the rules requiring not just demonstrating that the cars are capable of it but now require that some of the cars actually use it. I expect the fast charging requirement to be removed sometime in the future in order to get maximum ZEV credits. When that happens then Tesla will eliminate their battery swap station entirely. It's only economical because the single station is producing millions of dollars in additional revenue. A network of them would not produce that same value.

Seconded. An inventory of 50 batteries per station was mentioned a while ago, which, at 200$/kWh(This number is a ballpark guess), adds 850.000$ per charging station (Assuming all are 85 kWh). Just for the batteries, swapping hardware isn't free either, so let's call it a million for now. Do that to, say, 500 charging stations, and the economics don't pan out. The small amount of cash Tesla will make back in sales of electricity (Swaps aren't free) won't make a dent in that number, either. Especially because the batteries are depricating assets.
The one way this could work is if they daytrade electricity and then sell the batteries in TeslaPowerwalls after a few years. But the capital outlay is immense either way.

Oh there is little research and mostly opinion going on from my side. Unless they do something else with the batteries, having thousands of them lying around is a huge money sink for the rare useage they would likely get. Superchargers are evolving to become more-and-more powerful, reducing the need for battery swapping slowly but steadily.

$17k for an upgrade that would have been $10k new... seems... ill advised... hence my owning the 85 ;) (Although I think I'd be fine with a 70D)

AND this guy paid $2k for super charging... so he wasted $9,000 essentially? When I ran all the #s, adding super charging, more go power, and range, the 85 made the most sense. (70D was not available at the time).

$17k for an upgrade that would have been $10k new... seems... ill advised... hence my owning the 85 ;) (Although I think I'd be fine with a 70D)

AND this guy paid $2k for super charging... so he wasted $9,000 essentially? When I ran all the #s, adding super charging, more go power, and range, the 85 made the most sense. (70D was not available at the time).

All we can do is wait and see, and ask for it potentially. I could see a battery alone market when the price comes down and/or there are more used Model Ss out there. If after a few years I determine I'd want the 85 battery and have a 70 right now, then I'd pay a smaller portion of the 10K upgrade fee for a newer less used 85 battery, with warranty on it, and the enablement of speed to 85D levels potentially. If there are newer low cost say improved batteries one day, 100kw then I'd consider a number on that if they are backwards compatible ;-)

It all depends on the point where does it make sense to upgrade just the range/battery or finally replace/upgrade to a newer model (e.g. a lot of other improvements will occur in time).

If purchase the new 70D and in a few years when the battery get old, can it be replaced using the 85D battery?

It will likely be 10 years or more before the battery has significant wear (20% capacity loss). By that time you will want a new car with the latest tech. Whoever is driving your 70D will buy the latest battery offering instead of today's 85 kWh pack, or just deal with the reduced range.

GSP

Thanks for all the feed back.

The he price of new battery replacement is almost half the price of the car is n some cases it seem.

So after let say 8 years of ownership and out of warranty the price to replace the battery, more might as well buy a new car?

Im trying to decide one to purchase. My ultimate important is range, but 85D is 10k more expensive. Decision decision