Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a referral code be added after ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess Tesla has flip-flopped on this again. In May the Portland store was absolutely unable to add a referral code after ordering. I had talked to several people at the store and on the phone. It was even their rush to get me to order that caused it not to get used. Referrals were worth 5K miles at that time, oh well probably would have expired first anyway.

Here's my personal account, for what it's worth...

My SA actually emailed me asking if I had a referral code I'd like to use. This was post order and pre-VIN (my current status). Now whether I actually get the 1,000 miles is an entirely different matter but, this was an unsolicited inquiry so, I don't know why he'd ask if he couldn't add the referral code. Objectively, you have to include the possibility that he could be confused, mistaken, or whatever though.

For me personally though, the value of 1,000 free miles is so minor after spending 60k on a car that I don't really care about the final result. I totally get it if it's a matter of principle though.

Any Tesla rep can add a referral code to an existing order. This has always been the case. If a rep told you otherwise they were just plain wrong.

The issue has never been whether a code can be added to an existing order. The issue is whether the referral department that tracks the orders will honor an order that was not placed using the correct link referencing the referral code in the first place. They can distinguish between an order that was placed using the link and an order that was placed without the link and then had the code manually entered.

So there may be some flip flopping taking place here, but it’s not with the sales or delivery reps, it is with the referral department. And nobody has any idea whether a code entered after the order will be honored until after they take delivery and check their account to see the bonus miles.

So it is still not recommended to add a code after the order. Remember most Tesla reps are just flat our wrong in virtually everything they tell you. So don’t take it as a done deal because the rep added a code to your order.

Here's my personal account, for what it's worth...

My SA actually emailed me asking if I had a referral code I'd like to use. This was post order and pre-VIN (my current status). Now whether I actually get the 1,000 miles is an entirely different matter but, this was an unsolicited inquiry so, I don't know why he'd ask if he couldn't add the referral code. Objectively, you have to include the possibility that he could be confused, mistaken, or whatever though.

this is exactly what happened to me. however, i don't know if the guy i talked to is "my SA" or what.

what happened was i called the walnut creek showroom number on monday and ended up talking to someone... though his email signature indicates he is not in walnut creek. after i talked to him he emailed me some info; not knowing i was supposed to use my friend's referral link, i placed an order online and then emailed him to say that i had placed the order.

we then had a brief email exchange; in one of his followup emails he asked if i had a referral code. i gave it to him, however, i never got any kind of confirmation from him that the referral was successfully added. subsequently i emailed him to follow up on the possibility of picking up a stealth and i never heard back from him.

my friend's referral code page says "3 referrals" now so i need to ask him if he remembers if it was 2 last week, and then maybe i'll know it happened. unless it wouldn't increment until i take delivery of the car...

I ran into this myself with I bought my car .. I *expected* to be asked to add a referral code sometime during my purchase process on the web site (like every other online store on the planet), but of course it never happened as apparently you have to START the purchase process using a referral code. How new buyers are supposed to know that is not clear to me. And Tesla refused to add it retrospectively, which was a pity since it was during a 5,000 mile supercharger promo period. I love the car, but I was a bit bummed by that, as was my friend who would also have benefitted from the referral.

yes, in fact although i thought it was strange that the referral came in the form of a URL, i figured that the operative part would be the trailing name/numbers. wasn't sure what would happen if i visited that URL (and in retrospect it was stupid not to try it.) overthinking things as usual...