Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a tow bar be fitted after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MX has come with a tow package for some time, before then it was an option and a retrofit was difficult.

MS is not approved for towing

M3 now has a tow option, I think it’s too early to know whether it can be retrofit.

(assuming a 3)

It will depend on whether all the cars come with the VIN plate stamped for a towing weight, or just the ones with a bar fitted . 3rd party retro fit is already possible (stealth hitch etc in the US), but illegal here. That may not bother you (it wouldn't me), but it means uninsured, for you and what you are towing.

Any other manufacture if a tow package is available (and some times if it isn't) a retro fit option will be available eventually, some high power cars excluded. But this is Tesla so who knows :(. Safest is order the pack, or wait to see what turns up in the UK when the first shipments arrive. In June. Maybe.

Avendit

It's pretty simple in the UK. You can retrofit an approved towbar to any car that IS type approved for towing.]
you can see if your car is type approved by looking at the weight limits on your vin sticker. These show the towing weights if you car is type approved.
The problem is, that unless anything has changed recently, Tesla only type approved cars that had the tow package fitted at the factory. No idea why, but that's the case.
This means it is currently not legal in the UK to retrofit a towbar to a Model3.
If it was just for a bike rack, you can get some "tow bars" that have a spike on that are only designed to carry small loads. These get round the regulation as they are not, and can not, be used for towing due to the incompatible attachment.

• Informative
Reactions: pow216
It is possible to get retrospective Type Approval for fitting a tow hitch to cars that were not UK/EU approved for one. The Prius was never Type approved for one, but a German company and, IIRC, a Dutch company, managed to get a hitch TUV approved for the car. I fitted the Dutch version to two of mine, and had no problems at all, even after a (no fault) accident when I was rear-ended, writing the car off. The car was inspected by the police, as well as the insurance assessor, with the hitch still fitted, and the only check was that the hitch had a CE mark etc on its rating label. AFAIK, none of the US-made hitches are CE marked or approved for use here.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
That's great info. I was after fitting a bike carrier rather than towing anything. I'd rather have it at the back rather than the roof as it's a better solution, both in terms of aerodynamics, ferry limitations and lifting the bike onto the carrier. Need to see what's available for the M3 in the UK, if I find anything, I'll pop it up here.

Reactions: Jez_GB
It is possible to get retrospective Type Approval for fitting a tow hitch to cars that were not UK/EU approved for one. The Prius was never Type approved for one, but a German company and, IIRC, a Dutch company, managed to get a hitch TUV approved for the car. I fitted the Dutch version to two of mine, and had no problems at all, even after a (no fault) accident when I was rear-ended, writing the car off. The car was inspected by the police, as well as the insurance assessor, with the hitch still fitted, and the only check was that the hitch had a CE mark etc on its rating label. AFAIK, none of the US-made hitches are CE marked or approved for use here.

I think the companies you mention are talked about here Tesla Model S Towing The article is about MS but the companies and policies will be similar

To save clicking the links its Rameder for a bike rack type hook and misterdotcom for a TUV approved one